MEK and DeathCard Question

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
stcamp
In memoriam

MEK and DeathCard Question

Post by stcamp » 27 Jan 2005, 16:37

Hello,

I received this with a collection of post cards. It looks like a death card but it is more of a thank you card?

My translation:

Thank you for your sympathy in our time of great pain over the heroic death of our son Hellmuth. You are our long time friends and we appreciate your heroic sacrifice.

Then it list the parents name and the surviving brother.

My Questions:

Was something like this sent out to those who responded with sympathy after recieving a death card?

I believe his brother, Wolfgang Woerdemann, was in the 1. K-Kampf Division as a commander of a team of Marine Einsatz Kommando. I had never heard of them but it sounds like they were equal to todays US Navy Seals. Does anyone reconize the name? My guess is Hellmuth was also Kriegsmarine.
Attachments
woerdemann death.jpg
woerdemann death.jpg (38.25 KiB) Viewed 925 times

OMK

Post by OMK » 27 Jan 2005, 17:12

A formal thank you note is still common after certain events (at least in cerain parts of the world), so I imagine this is really noe different. Most likely only sent out to close friends, this is an accepted way to show appreciation for deeds done.

For the Marineinzastkommando, I don't really know anything. Sorry.

OMK

stcamp
In memoriam

Post by stcamp » 27 Jan 2005, 18:30

Thank you,

I am interested in reading about the Marine Kommandos. If anyone could recomend an english written book?? I did search and it looks like German is the only language.

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”