Wangeroge Island - which Flakabteilung ?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Heinz23

Wangeroge Island - which Flakabteilung ?

Post by Heinz23 » 12 Sep 2002, 23:13

Hi there !

Does anyone have information about Flak units, which stationed on this island in years 1943-45 ??? I'd like to know, which Flakabteilung of Kriegsmarine served there.

Octavianus

Wangerooge Island in May 1945

Post by Octavianus » 25 Sep 2002, 11:27

Ave Heinz,

Sorry for a bit late response, but I guess better now than never.... Here's what I have on German garrison on Wangerooge in May 1945:

Kommandant im Abschnitt Wangerooge:
Korvettenkapitän Stührenberg (killed 25 April 1945), then replaced by Kapitän z.S. Baldenius
Sometime in Spring 1945 the island of Wangerooge was declared a 'Festung'.
Order of Battle for the German garrison was as follows:
- Marine-Artillerie-Abteilung 631 (Wangerooge); 1 150mm battery
- Flak-Kommandeur Wangerooge (5 88/105/128mm batteries)
- Marine-Insel-Batallion 354 (Langeoog - Wangerooge)

The islands of Wangerooge and Spiekeroog (both being a part of the Seeverteidigung Ostfriesland) situated off Wilhelmshaven were the only two islands in the Frisian Archipelago that were occupied by Polish troops of the 1st Polish Armoured Division under Major-General Stanislaw Maczek in Mai 1945. I reckon this is why you are looking for this kind of information, considering you yourselve are being a Polish citizen, nicht so? Actually, I would be very grateful if you could write down any info you may have on Polish occupation of Wangerooge and Spiekeroog.:D

Gratiam,

Octavianus

Heinz23

Post by Heinz23 » 28 Sep 2002, 14:24

Many thanks for your help, Ovidius! Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Polish occupation of those isles - I'm only interested in Wehrmacht, not in Polish army.
I was looking for this information, because I know a Wehrmacht veteran, who served on that island since 1943 to march 1945, then he was transfered to "Grossdeutschland" Division. He unfortunately forgot the number of his unit, but with Your help I'll be able to refresh his memory :)

Bis bald!

Heinz

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”