Bismark Seamen

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Caldric

Post by Caldric » 21 Sep 2002, 19:04

An operation not lightly undertaken, and certainly not if the swimmers are 'the enemy'.
I think by this time they would be considered POW's.

admfisher

Bismarck dive

Post by admfisher » 22 Sep 2002, 06:41

Caldric wrote:
An operation not lightly undertaken, and certainly not if the swimmers are 'the enemy'.
I think by this time they would be considered POW's.
Let see now, the only accounts I have read about surviors not wanting to be taken aboard are from the Pacific. Maybe some Germans and Russians.

If we are look at from the water up, you would be greatful that anything saves you from the horrible death that they were facing in the oily, cold water, not to mention the impact of the event they had just went through. What was the number of hits on Bismarck I seem to recall 700 to 800.
Any way you look at it after the first damaging shot it starts to become to much.
I recieved a nice colour video clip of Bismark today. Imagine what we are going to see when Discovery launches the footage of the dive that Cameron did a couple of months back. For this he had a brand new camera made that could enter parts of the ship. A friend of mine went of the dive. He actaully got his dive certificate from his own dive in one of the Mirs. He said what we have seen is nothing compared to what they have on film now.

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”