Marine-Küstenpolizei (Kriegsmarine Naval Police)

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Panzermahn

Marine-Küstenpolizei (Kriegsmarine Naval Police)

Post by Panzermahn » 06 Jun 2005, 19:51

Hi,

I am looking for infos (organization, photos, ranks) on the Kriegsmarine military police formation or the Marine-Küstenpolizei.

there is anecdote about them in Guido Knopp's book Hitler's Henchmen that the German Naval police are considered even worse than the SS in apprehending so-called deserters and cowards especially during the last years of 1944-1945. They wer said to shot ateven suspected deserters without questions asked as Doenitz employed stringet discipline to avoid any signs of defeatism

Thanks

greatpolarbear

Post by greatpolarbear » 07 Jun 2005, 01:14

We have a Marine-Küsten-Polizei man in our unit. A good place to find information is http://www.wwiidaybyday.com and also Angolia and Schlicht's "Die Kriegsmarine Volume 2." Also do a search for Marine-Küsten-Polizei on the web, there are a couple of websites in German that can help. Also do a search for Wasserschutzpolizei. This should come up with some information.

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 07 Jun 2005, 06:09

greatpolarbear wrote:We have a Marine-Küsten-Polizei man in our unit. A good place to find information is http://www.wwiidaybyday.com and also Angolia and Schlicht's "Die Kriegsmarine Volume 2." Also do a search for Marine-Küsten-Polizei on the web, there are a couple of websites in German that can help. Also do a search for Wasserschutzpolizei. This should come up with some information.
Hi Greatpolarbear,

Thanks for the link and info...I believe the difference between Marine-Küstenpolizei and Wasserschutzpolizei (i think the translation is "water protection police" or "waterguard police" - sorry for my imperfect command of German) is that the former was under the Kriegsmarine while the latter is under the SS, right?

I was hoping to see some photos of Marineküstenpolizei as i understand that it's very rare to see them in photos

greatpolarbear

Post by greatpolarbear » 07 Jun 2005, 06:19

Here is another page.. http://www.germanpolice.org/
Attachments
platoon_767.jpg
platoon_767.jpg (214.51 KiB) Viewed 6618 times
11-19319-1-W.jpg
11-19319-1-W.jpg (17.65 KiB) Viewed 6618 times

greatpolarbear

Post by greatpolarbear » 07 Jun 2005, 06:25

More pictures...The Wasserschutzpolizei was a part of the Ordnungs Polizei. The were the Waterways Protection Police. The WSP operated within the borders of Germany. The Marine-Küsten-Polizei were created to operate outside of Germany in the occupied territories and were put under the control of the Kriegsmarine. I am including a picture of one of the pages of the order that established the MKP
Attachments
abfindung.jpg
abfindung.jpg (184.94 KiB) Viewed 6618 times

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 07 Jun 2005, 09:50

Greatpolarbear,

Thanks for the great photos!!! But i can see no difference between Kriegsmarine Naval Infantry and the Marine-Küstenpolizei. And i was surprise that the Marine-Küstenpolizei men did not wear any cuff title as customary with the German military police like the Feldjägerkorps or the Feldgendemerie.

Do you know what is the level authority between the Marine-Küstenpolizei and the Feldgendarmerie if there were a case of a KM sailor breaching German military law inland? Does the Feldgendarmerie arrest the KM sailor and hold him for court martial or did they hand him over to the Marine-Küstenpolizei?

greatpolarbear

Post by greatpolarbear » 07 Jun 2005, 16:06

As often as not, the cuff title is seen being worn. In the picture of the men in formation, only the man on the left with the visor cap is the MKP man. The others are just attached sailors. The lowest rank MKP man was an NCO (a Maat) according to the regulations, there were no "enlisted ranks" in the MKP. I do not have any information about areas of authority specifically, but I do not believe that the police would hand anyone over to other branches unless specifically ordered to do so. Being arrested by and German military police would be the same all over. At least as far as the German police go. But again, I do not have that kind of specific information.

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 07 Jun 2005, 19:55

greatpolarbear wrote:As often as not, the cuff title is seen being worn. In the picture of the men in formation, only the man on the left with the visor cap is the MKP man. The others are just attached sailors. The lowest rank MKP man was an NCO (a Maat) according to the regulations, there were no "enlisted ranks" in the MKP. I do not have any information about areas of authority specifically, but I do not believe that the police would hand anyone over to other branches unless specifically ordered to do so. Being arrested by and German military police would be the same all over. At least as far as the German police go. But again, I do not have that kind of specific information.
Greatpolarbear,

Yes, i notice the NCO's visor cap had the Polizei Adler symbol. So, the Marine-Küstenpolizei's authority only stretches to where the naval coastal artillery located at the occupied territories. I am interested to know whether the MKP did served aboard ships as military police and also if they were involved any land battle. I think most probably they were, especially in the fortress of Metz 1944, Dunkirk 1944 and Brest 1944...I try to look out in Jak P. Malmann Showell's German Navy Handbook for more info on MKP

greatpolarbear

Post by greatpolarbear » 08 Jun 2005, 00:38

In general, all German police had authority everywhere just like all German police. There were never a large amount of MKP in service, but they were in service all along the Atlantic Wall including Norway and along the Balkan coast.

Edward L. Hsiao

Re: Marine-Küstenpolizei (Kriegsmarine Naval Police)

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 06 Apr 2019, 00:14

Does the Marine-Küstenpolizei participated in land battles during the last few months of WWII of 1944-1945?

Edward L. Hsiao

Larrister

Re: Marine-Küstenpolizei (Kriegsmarine Naval Police)

Post by Larrister » 06 Apr 2019, 00:23

Cheers,
Larry
Attachments
Marine-Kusten Polizei.jpg

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”