Mutiny in 1945?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Mischa

Re:

Post by Mischa » 18 Jul 2010, 22:11

ohrdruf wrote:In "The German Destroyers" (Greenhill Books 2002) there is mention of sabotage aboard "Paul Jakobi" in the last few days of the war preventing the ship making another run to pick up refugees in the East. The men were arrested apparently but there is no report as to their fate.
Hello ohdruf,
sorry for my poor English, but I found something and I hope it will be to understand?

These "heroes" are: Willi Albrecht, Karl-Heinz-Freudenthal, Günther Källander from the destroyer Paul Jacobi ", with her very unworthy deed (pure stupidity) want to prevent the destroyer go to Kurland to evacuate from there waiting to rescue their comrades in arms. That judgement in my opinion - by shooting - was the only fair in the event of war and sabotage. And the names of this "martyrs" were honored by Volksmarine.

Regards
Mischa :milwink:

Simon Orchard

Re: Mutiny in 1945?

Post by Simon Orchard » 18 Jul 2010, 22:56

Andy

I believe you refer to document WO 219/1483. It does not say 'for the execution of their sentences', only that they are to be returned to their own or other suitable units and that no distinction should be made based on their nationality (this was because all German armed forces personnel in Norway were being segregated by nationality with the exception of Austrians.)

The allies had previously ordered that no capital punishment sentences were to be carried out after the capitulation.

Mischa

Post by Mischa » 19 Jul 2010, 08:39

Hello,
I see You are dispute abot mutinies in the Kriegsmarine but I did not see any other names of the boats. exept "Paul Jacobi"? Below some:
- "M 612" in the Danish Fredericia 04.05.1945?, mutiny, 15 sailors convicted. Names which I know: Obersteuermann Glasmacher (the rebel leader), Wehrmann, Süss,
Süss said on 07. and 09.05. Der Alte can run same the machine and he has no longer anything to say . Executed an 11.05.
- 06.05. in Flensburg was executed KL Asmus Jepsen who said to his sailors on 03.05. boys, now just watch how you go home - it is defeatism for me.
- a harbour patrol vessel "No 31" and patrol vessel "Vs 342" escaped to Sweden and probably the sailors were removed to the Sovjet what is a black chapter in the Swedish history.
Regards
Mischa

Simon Orchard

Post by Simon Orchard » 19 Jul 2010, 10:03

To expand on my previous post, some deserters in Norway hid amongst the Norwegian population, after the end of the war, some came out of hiding and reported to the allies, thinking they'd just be shipped home. The allies who had their arms full screening some 350 000 personnel didn't have the time, capacity or inclination to start giving these deserters special treatment so the easiest thing was simply to return them to their units for processing along with all the others.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 19 Jul 2010, 12:13

Simon Orchard wrote:Andy

I believe you refer to document WO 219/1483. It does not say 'for the execution of their sentences', only that they are to be returned to their own or other suitable units and that no distinction should be made based on their nationality (this was because all German armed forces personnel in Norway were being segregated by nationality with the exception of Austrians.)

The allies had previously ordered that no capital punishment sentences were to be carried out after the capitulation.
Hi Simon

I believe your correct, though the document number (which doesn't exist it seems) is listed as WO 19/1483, in Lawrence Paterson's book Black Flag (The Surrender of German U-Boat Forces 1945) Pg138. Given that I dont have access to that document I will cede your version of the description of the report.

Regards

Andy H

Simon Orchard

Post by Simon Orchard » 19 Jul 2010, 12:54

This is it
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... ssmethod=0

If of interest i can scan it in, it's only 2 pages (the question and the answer), and only a few lines.

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”