Italian MAS boats (specifically the 500 series)

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
TGarthConnelly

Italian MAS boats (specifically the 500 series)

Post by TGarthConnelly » 22 Jan 2006 23:04

Hello All,

Some of you might know me from scale modeling sites - like SteelNavy and the Forum on the IPMS/USA's website ...

As you may know, I've done books on USN PT boats, British Vosper MTBs and lastly, on the Kriegsmarine Schnellboote. You probably can see a theme in my writing topics - can't you? Yeah, well - you know how that goes.

May I ask any of you if you have ANY data on the Italian Navy's MAS boats (specifically the 500 series of boats, both the wood and metal ones - NOT the German built Schnellboote used by the Italians) if you'd be agreeable to share with me whatever you see fit to share. Thank you.

I have a folder of material, but it's all in Italian. Whereas a girl I met in London taught me a few phrases in Italian and whereas I had four years of Latin in High School, I don't understand written (printed) Italian. Also, the girl I know told me that technical writing in Italian is somewhat different than everyday Italian, so even she could not help me translate the data ...

If you'd like to help me, you can email me at PTConsultingNHR@aol.com ... thank you.

Sincerely,

T. Garth Connelly
PS: Please don't try and call the telephone number on my website; I suffer from Cerebral Palsy and my speech is un-understandable by total strangers.

PT Dockyard

Post by PT Dockyard » 26 Jan 2006 05:03

Garth,
When you say "German Built" I believe you are referring to the MS series, which indeed were built in Italy. Is that correct?

Have you tried a scanner with Optical Character Recognition, saving the scan as a Word document and then copying/pasting into AltaVista Babelfish? You can find OCR programs that recognise specific language characters (although this is not as big a problem with Italian as in German). It works- especially if you have single sheets of paper.

Dave
The PT Dockyard
"We have eyes everywhere"

TGarthConnelly

TEXT

Post by TGarthConnelly » 27 Jan 2006 01:52

Dave -

That's a good idea, however, I have been told that TECHNICAL Italian and conversational Italian are two different animals. That was the same problem I had getting the German stuff translated.

Garth

PT Dockyard

Post by PT Dockyard » 27 Jan 2006 02:04

Maybe. Plug a few of the words into BabelFish and see what happens.

"Siebel Ferry" translates as "filter elven ears" on that site. Once I got used to it, it was like reading a code.

Dave

Davide Pastore

Re: TEXT

Post by Davide Pastore » 27 Jan 2006 10:34

TGarthConnelly wrote:I have been told that TECHNICAL Italian and conversational Italian are two different animals.

The problem with Italian is the totally different grammar rules from English. I doubt that a computer program can fully translate a sentence between two very different languages.

Note: I wrote at the email address you gave to me, but got no answer. I think it's better if you post here the question you want to be answered.

Davide

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”