German seaplane tenders. Do anything?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Purple fang
Member
Posts: 327
Joined: 05 Nov 2005 00:22
Location: utah

German seaplane tenders. Do anything?

Post by Purple fang » 26 Mar 2006 04:21

Saw a photo of one of these in 38 during the new swabeland expedition. What all did they do in the war?

http://www.steelnavy.com/SiteAdditions04-3.htm

There's a model of a ww1 german tender in the link.

varjag
Financial supporter
Posts: 4431
Joined: 01 May 2002 01:44
Location: Australia

Re: German seaplane tenders. Do anything?

Post by varjag » 26 Mar 2006 11:32

Purple fang wrote:Saw a photo of one of these in 38 during the new swabeland expedition. What all did they do in the war?

http://www.steelnavy.com/SiteAdditions04-3.htm

There's a model of a ww1 german tender in the link.


I think that the 'seaplane-tender' concept in Germany was mainly a civilian project, mail flights etc. - and would be
surprised to hear that the KM actually operated seaplane-tenders. There was little need for such 'dinosaurs' in the
German navy and hence most were converted to more useful purposes after the war began, Varjag

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carrier ... y.htm#ostm

Simon Orchard
Member
Posts: 729
Joined: 01 Jan 2003 22:31
Location: Norway

Post by Simon Orchard » 27 Mar 2006 14:54

Strange you say that and at the same time give a link showing the WWII seaplane tenders.

Several of them operated here in Tromsø, in spite of their being a large seaplane base here tenders were extensively used because aircraft (mainly Bv138) used much less fuel on take off thus extending their range\endurance.

varjag
Financial supporter
Posts: 4431
Joined: 01 May 2002 01:44
Location: Australia

Post by varjag » 27 Mar 2006 23:18

Thanks Simon for that snippet - I was totally unaware of that. While the ships could act as
floating workshops usefully - do you mean that they were actually catapulting Bv 138's from
them at Tromsö - to save fuel? rgds, Varjag

Simon Orchard
Member
Posts: 729
Joined: 01 Jan 2003 22:31
Location: Norway

Post by Simon Orchard » 28 Mar 2006 08:00

Yep, in fact i can post photos of them in use. I'll get something scanned this evening.


Here's another link about them
http://www.ww2.dk/articles/catapult.htm

Martti
Member
Posts: 156
Joined: 01 Dec 2005 01:36
Location: Finland

Re: German seaplane tenders. Do anything?

Post by Martti » 28 Mar 2006 15:41

varjag wrote:I think that the 'seaplane-tender' concept in Germany was mainly a civilian project, mail flights etc. - and would be
surprised to hear that the KM actually operated seaplane-tenders. There was little need for such 'dinosaurs' in the
German navy and hence most were converted to more useful purposes after the war began, Varjag

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carrier ... y.htm#ostm


Actually germans built additional seaplane tenders and catapult ships during the war specifically for military use. Falke, Bussard, Richthoven and Hans Albrecht Wedel were completed 1942 - 1943.

Simon Orchard
Member
Posts: 729
Joined: 01 Jan 2003 22:31
Location: Norway

Post by Simon Orchard » 28 Mar 2006 19:23

Here we go.

The Falke at Tromsø with a couple of Bv138

Image


If you look in the background behind this Junkers W 34 you'll see 3 seaplane tenders, again at Tromsø.

Image

John T
Member
Posts: 1149
Joined: 31 Jan 2003 22:38
Location: Stockholm,Sweden

Post by John T » 28 Mar 2006 20:01

Simon Orchard wrote:Strange you say that and at the same time give a link showing the WWII seaplane tenders.

Several of them operated here in Tromsø, in spite of their being a large seaplane base here tenders were extensively used because aircraft (mainly Bv138) used much less fuel on take off thus extending their range\endurance.


I have been pondering on these ships too. I read Als da eis brach and If I remember correctly,
On the first days of Weserübung two seaplane tenders arrived in Bergen and Stavanger(?)
One was Bernhard Von Tschirschky
and the other Karl Meyer.
But The link http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carrier ... y.htm#ostm lists Meyar as completed in August 1940 ?

Whish source is right or was it two ships with the name Karl Meyer ?


Best Regards
/John T.

Purple fang
Member
Posts: 327
Joined: 05 Nov 2005 00:22
Location: utah

Post by Purple fang » 30 Mar 2006 05:07

Wonder what missions the BV 138 did out of Norway?

varjag
Financial supporter
Posts: 4431
Joined: 01 May 2002 01:44
Location: Australia

Post by varjag » 30 Mar 2006 10:59

Purple fang wrote:Wonder what missions the BV 138 did out of Norway?


Out of Tromsö...looking for convoys and their escorts no doubt, Varjag

Simon Orchard
Member
Posts: 729
Joined: 01 Jan 2003 22:31
Location: Norway

Post by Simon Orchard » 30 Mar 2006 11:02

Recconnaissance work. Most significantly in looking for and tracking the Arctic convoys heading to and from Murmansk and Archangel. In fact North Norway was one of the most important and active areas where the Germans used seaplanes. Pretty much every type they had came up here at one time or another. At it's height, around 1943, the Luftwaffe had around 5000 men at Tromsø. There were 3 main seaplane bases North of the Arctic circle, Sørreisa which was close to the important airfield of Bardufoss, Skattøra at Tromsø and Billefjord further North which was also close to another major airfield, Banak.

He115
He59
Do 24
Do 26
Do 18
Ju 34\See
Ju 52\See
Bv 138
Bv 222
Ar 196

Purple fang
Member
Posts: 327
Joined: 05 Nov 2005 00:22
Location: utah

Post by Purple fang » 30 Mar 2006 11:08

U-boat assistance as well no? refuel etc.


Or Vice versa. "20 Bv 138C-1s were equipped with a modified fuel filter to remove possible pollutants when refueling from u-boats."

home.swipnet.se/our_stuff/Planes/BV138.htm

Dang link.

Simon Orchard
Member
Posts: 729
Joined: 01 Jan 2003 22:31
Location: Norway

Post by Simon Orchard » 30 Mar 2006 13:32

Not u-boat assistance as such but long range recconaissance work for U-boats. On several occasions a Bv138 was dispatched to work with a U-boat for days or weeks at a time and refueled from the U-boat. Something the 138 could do as it used diesel. That site gives a good account of where and how they were used.

User avatar
Marcus
Member
Posts: 33940
Joined: 08 Mar 2002 22:35
Location: Europe

Post by Marcus » 30 Mar 2006 17:25

Thanks for sharing those nice photos Simon.

/Marcus

varjag
Financial supporter
Posts: 4431
Joined: 01 May 2002 01:44
Location: Australia

Post by varjag » 31 Mar 2006 13:23

Simon Orchard wrote:Yep, in fact i can post photos of them in use. I'll get something scanned this evening.


Here's another link about them
http://www.ww2.dk/articles/catapult.htm


Simon, was thinking about this 'fuel-saving' bit......was that REALLY the reason? The fuel-saving - between a
catapult launch and a water-takoff, must have been negliable. As far as range - with 'safe return reserve' - almost
non-existant. There must have been other factors at play here - like accomodation for aircrew on board the ships?
Varjag

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”