Questions re uniforms of Sturmabteilung Rossbach

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Arvo L. V.

Questions re uniforms of Sturmabteilung Rossbach

Post by Arvo L. V. » 10 Mar 2007, 21:43

Esteemed forum members;

I am trying to locate some more exacting information re the uniforms, shoulderboards, belt buckles, badges and insignia, which were worn by members of the Sturmabteilung Rossbach in Latvia, 1919-1920. Specifically, I would like to know where I could find a more detailed descriptions/illustrations of the uniforms worn by the troops of the Grenzschutztruppen des 17. Westpreuss. Armeekorps - which I think were the "home" uniforms of Rossbach's formation.. The uniform illustration in the Osprey book, The German Freikorps 1918-1923 (by Carlos Caballero Jurado; Osprey-Elite; 2001; ISBN 1-84176-184-2), of LT Rossbach is very well done, but it is not quite at the level of detail that I am looking for.

My goal is to be able to prepare a number of color plates showing officers and ranks of Rossbach's unit, while they were in the Baltics - and I'd like to gain a better understanding of the "tree" -rank/insignia located on the collar of the uniform. If someone has any photographs, which can be shared with me, I would be most appreciative of that as well.

Some time back, a uniform book (or booklet) on the Rossbach unit was offered for sale on e-bay - but it seems to have been removed as quickly as it was posted. Does anyone know more about this unique publication?

Thank you kindly in advance for any assistance efforts.

Regards;

Arvo

Canutt

Post by Canutt » 18 Mar 2007, 09:40

Hallo, here is the collar badge for Grenzschutztruppen des 17. Westpreuss. Armeekorps.
I'm interested in your colour plates, please post them when ready!

ciao,
Mario

This is the collar badge for soldier, from period photos is it possible to say that exists a more detailed and gilted badge for officials.

Arvo L. V.

Rossbach uniform details

Post by Arvo L. V. » 18 Mar 2007, 21:51

Esteemed Mario;

Thank you very much for the scan of the "tree & crossed swords" insignia. A very nice exemplar. May I please ask, is there a chance that you have some photographs available - and that you can share - showing the officer's insignia (and officers shoulder straps). I would very much like to see the differences betwen the officer and enlisted rank versions. The color plate I am working on depicts an officer.

Again, many thanks for your insignia scan - I am most appreciative of same.

Regards;

Arvo L. V.

Canutt

Post by Canutt » 19 Mar 2007, 23:36

ciao,
Mario

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”