3 Marine Brigade von Löwenfeld

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Yves D

3 Marine Brigade von Löwenfeld

Post by Yves D » 24 Jan 2006, 10:45

Hi mates
Just new here on your forum which is very interesting.
I searched in this section but could not find what I am looking for. Maybe some of the experts here will be able to help.
I am writing the biography of Vize-Admiral Lothar v.Arnauld, hero of WW1 and U-Boats' top ace commander. In 1919-1920 he participated in the MarineBrigade, in charge of Sturmbataillon Arnauld de la Periere. My question is where and when 3 Marinebrigade and Stmbat. Arnauld have been in action. Any detail is of some importance as my sources and records are very poor on the matter.
Thks in advance
Yves

Rolf-Gunter Kolb

Re: 3 Marine Brigade von Löwenfeld

Post by Rolf-Gunter Kolb » 24 Jan 2006, 23:25

Yves D wrote:Hi mates
Just new here on your forum which is very interesting.
I searched in this section but could not find what I am looking for. Maybe some of the experts here will be able to help.
I am writing the biography of Vize-Admiral Lothar v.Arnauld, hero of WW1 and U-Boats' top ace commander. In 1919-1920 he participated in the MarineBrigade, in charge of Sturmbataillon Arnauld de la Periere. My question is where and when 3 Marinebrigade and Stmbat. Arnauld have been in action. Any detail is of some importance as my sources and records are very poor on the matter.
Thks in advance
Yves
Greetings Yves.

Sorry I cannot answer your questions but I saw your post and wanted to mention that I have an Iron Cross 2nd class award document to an NCO who served in the 3rd Marine Regiment in WWI. I have his IC II and IC I awards. I know so little about the WWI unit but suspect that many of those men might have made up the personnel for that Freikorps unit. When I purchased this man's document and IC I's and IC 2nd, this also came with a large and a miniature Flandern Cross -- which possibly means that he served in the very Freikorps unit that you have posted about.

Yves D

Post by Yves D » 25 Jan 2006, 09:34

Moin Rolf
The fact is that 3-Marinebrigade was constituted by Navy personnel in Kiel. I have a few names of casualties and they are all ex-Navy mainly former U-Boot crews. So, it is not surprising you have found also a Flandern Cross. In Flandern were based quite a number of UB and UC boats.
Could you provide me a scan copy of what you have ?
Thanks for your reply, hoping that an "expert" will bring more details.
MfG
Yves

EvSalomon

Post by EvSalomon » 25 Jan 2006, 20:16

Salut Yves,

here is a short text I wrote a while ago in the AHF-Freikorps-Quiz-Thread about A. de P.:
To his military record during his service in the 3. M-B, I can only say that he was fighting in Bottrop,
eastern 1920, where the brigade suffered heavy losses during fights against well trained, well led and very
motivated red army forces (his assignment was to blow up a damaged armoured car of the brigade
called Lotta to prevent it from being reused by the red army).
There is also a picture in the Buch vom deutschen Freikorpskämpfer with all the commanders of the 3. M-B,
but I didn't scan it, I have only the reprint and the quality of the photos is not so good for scans.
It is only a very short description of the fights in Bottrop published in 1935 in das Buch vom deutschen Freikorpskämpfer,
editor was Ernst von Salomon.
This book is a collection of stories told by the former Freikorps-Leaders and one of them was a former leader of the
Marinebrigade von Loewenfeld, but only a short story was told about the 3. M-B.
The book can be purchased in antiquariates for approximately 50 Euro as long as it is the faksimile published a few years ago,
the original one costs a little bit more, you can also check out ebay or zvab.com .
I will gather a few more precise data from this book and post them here in the forum the next days.

Best regards,
Henrik

Rolf-Gunter Kolb

Post by Rolf-Gunter Kolb » 25 Jan 2006, 21:37

Yves D wrote:Moin Rolf
The fact is that 3-Marinebrigade was constituted by Navy personnel in Kiel. I have a few names of casualties and they are all ex-Navy mainly former U-Boot crews. So, it is not surprising you have found also a Flandern Cross. In Flandern were based quite a number of UB and UC boats.
Could you provide me a scan copy of what you have ?
Thanks for your reply, hoping that an "expert" will bring more details.
MfG
Yves
Greetings Yves, currently I have no access to a scanner but, if you would prefer, I would gladly make a copy of the award document and I could send it to you in the mails? Please let me know by PM if this is something you should like me to do? Also and if so, please send me your address and I can have a copy made by this weekend along with a scan of the awards that came with the grouping. Thank you for the information you provided above. I believe that it certainly will be of great help in researching this person. I suspect that this person also must have been awarded a Hanseatic Cross as well as other war medals but I do not have those (nor any proof) if it were so.

Cheers - Rolf.

Yves D

Post by Yves D » 26 Jan 2006, 00:07

Hallo Rolf, Henrik
Thanks for the information.
Rolf, I send you a PM.
Every help is much appreciated.
Yves

Rolf-Gunter Kolb

Post by Rolf-Gunter Kolb » 01 Feb 2006, 23:12

Yves D wrote:Hallo Rolf, Henrik
Thanks for the information.
Rolf, I send you a PM.
Every help is much appreciated.
Yves
Hello Yves, sorry I took so long before this reply. I have been sick with a bad stomach virus that is going around here lately. I just got out of the hospital again this morning.

Got your message and as soon as I get over this virus, I will have the photo-copies made and will let you know when I get them in the mails to you.

Best wishes friend - Rolf.

Yves D

Post by Yves D » 03 Feb 2006, 15:41

No problem Rolf,
Take care !

Rolf-Gunter Kolb

Post by Rolf-Gunter Kolb » 11 Feb 2006, 21:18

Yves D wrote:No problem Rolf,
Take care !
Hallo Yves, thank you and again I am sick with the flu. I will try again sometime this week. Also, please forgive me for not being able to reply for so long.

Cheers-Rolf.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 02 Sep 2007, 15:04

From German Uniforms, Insignia & Equipment 1918-1923,Charles Woolley.

Officers of 3 Marine Brigade von Löwenfeld

L/R Kptlt Classen,Kptlt Carls,Major Bruns,Major Kloebe,Korvettenkapitän Kolbe,Kptlt von Arnauld de la Perriere,Kptlt von Fischel.
Attachments
frkps.jpg
frkps.jpg (91.46 KiB) Viewed 2489 times

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”