Pro-Japanese Korean forces during First Sino-Japan War?

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Hama

Pro-Japanese Korean forces during First Sino-Japan War?

Post by Hama » 16 Feb 2017, 03:10

Can anyone give me information about whether there were any military or political forces of Koreans who supported the Japanese side during the First Sino-Japanese War?

I read that when Japanese troops occupied Seoul in 1894 they put a pro-Japanese government in to replace the previous authorities, and also I found one photo on Wikipedia which claims to show Korean troops guarding Chinese prisoners during the war: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... se_War.png (I have no idea of the context though, if anyone knows I'd be happy to learn).

I also know Japan sheltered some members of the Gapsin Coup after it failed and they fled from Korea. Were any of these guys brought back to Korea after Japan occupied Seoul to run a pro-Japanese administration? Did Japan use any pro-Japanese Korean troops for any jobs during the war? Any information would be interesting to learn.

Akira Takizawa

Re: Pro-Japanese Korean forces during First Sino-Japan War?

Post by Akira Takizawa » 16 Feb 2017, 06:21

Pro-Japanese Korean government concluded a treaty with Japan and they fought with the Chinese cooperating with the Japanese.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%97%A5 ... F.E7.B4.84

Taki

Hama

Post by Hama » 16 Feb 2017, 15:38

Thanks. I know of that treaty but didn't know any details. Do you know any names of Korean leaders in the pro-Japanese government at that time? Also I'd be curious to know anything about the Korean forces that fought alongside Japan against China. Were they troops who had already been in the Korean army before the war (and then sided with the pro-Japan government), or were they recruited and organised at the start by the Japanese?

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 16 Feb 2017, 17:47

> Do you know any names of Korean leaders in the pro-Japanese government at that time?

Daewongun (대원군, 大院君). But, he was not pro-Japanese. Read below.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heungseon_Daewongun

> Also I'd be curious to know anything about the Korean forces that fought alongside Japan against China. Were they troops who had already been in the Korean army before the war (and then sided with the pro-Japan government), or were they recruited and organised at the start by the Japanese?

Though the government changed, they are the same 李朝(Joseon). Korean army was also the same.

Taki

Hama

Post by Hama » 16 Feb 2017, 18:33

I see. Thanks for that information.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”