Hitler and the Firebombing of Tokyo

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
ForrestIII

Hitler and the Firebombing of Tokyo

Postby ForrestIII » 08 Jan 2017 18:00

I was curious that in the March or April of 1945, if Hitler received any news about the firebombing of Tokyo on March 9-10 (Operation Meetinghouse). I would imagine that either the German or Swedish Embassy would have sent reports to Europe about it that could've
or would've gotten back to Hitler. Does anyone know if he ever found out?
Logic would be my Lifeblood if I had any. Unfortunately I just have regular blood.

Wellgunde

Re: Hitler and the Firebombing of Tokyo

Postby Wellgunde » 11 Jan 2017 03:51

The Tokyo fire bombings were reported in U.S. and British radio news broadcasts which the Germans regularly monitored. News was also available through other sources such as those in Spain and Switzerland. Foreign embassies weren't the only source of outside news. I think that it's safe to assume that Hitler was aware of them. You might consider consulting Halder's diary and the records of the Fuhrer conferences at the time to see if Hitler made any specific mention of the fire bombings. It is also possible that the Germans received information on the fire bombings (likely played down) from the Japanese Embassy.
γνώθι σαυτόν

ForrestIII

Postby ForrestIII » 11 Jan 2017 06:00

Halder was out in 1942, though. Where could I get those records? I already have Hitler and His Generals by David Glantz.
Logic would be my Lifeblood if I had any. Unfortunately I just have regular blood.

Wellgunde

Postby Wellgunde » 12 Jan 2017 23:08

ForrestIII wrote:Halder was out in 1942, though. Where could I get those records? I already have Hitler and His Generals by David Glantz.

Transcripts of various Fuehrer conferences can be found in the "Fuehrer Fragments"--remnants of notes of Hitler's conferences--found in the published U.S. Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) Fuehrer Conferences and, partially, in Gilbert's Hitler Directs His War. The former, much abbreviated has been published commercially under the title Fuehrer Conferences on Matters Dealing with the German Navy. You can find this on Amazon for as low as 83 cents. The International Military Tribunal Documents (in forty-odd volumes) include further transcripts. The Jodl Diary contains information regarding a number of topics. This is not my area of expertise. I suggest asking the question over in the German section of Axis History.
γνώθι σαυτόν

ForrestIII

Postby ForrestIII » 16 Jul 2017 17:32

I just got a copy of Final Entries 1945: The Diaries of Joseph Goebbels. Goebbels does not specifically mention the Tokyo raid but he does talk about Japan. As a corollary to this, according to Marching Orders by Bruce Lee, the Japanese Government found out about the Remagen Bridge crossing on March 15.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”