Okinawa Wargame

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Wargames

Re: Okinawa Wargame

Post by Wargames » 20 Feb 2018, 05:58

Thanks for the reply, Carl. I thought I was preaching to an empty house.
Carl Schwamberger wrote:
One of the problems of a game designer is to make the decisions each side made seem logical to the player. This is often difficult as the players arrive at the game with some preconceptions which are very different from those the actual commanders brought to the battle. Some designers get around this through "Idiot Rules" that channel the player in specific directions, some try though clever structural design of the game. Others don't try at all.
I had two “idiot rules” to deal with. The first being the “Battle of the Bulge” rule where the US would not advance “too far” south of a Japanese unit north of them for fear of creating a “bulge” in their lines. Thus, when US troops reached Yanabaru on Okinawa they abandoned it and pulled back, fearing it would become another Bastogne. I really cannot see a US player doing this. For the rest of us it would be a victory to exploit rather than surrender. Yet the US not only did it but did it once again when, on their way to pursue the retreating Japanese to Medeera (and with tanks to do so) and with the Japanese on foot, the US did stupid once again and called off the attack to allow 6th Division time to eliminate the Japanese sailors to their north at Tomi Susuku. It allowed the Japanese to arrive in the Minatoga area with an organized defense.

Evidently it was an important point to US command to do this and my victory conditions require the US to win in 23 turns. Without making it a rule to not “outrun the advance”, the US player would always win in less than 23 turns. Now he doesn’t.

The second “idiot rule” was the US standard procedure of two infantry battalions in an advance followed by a third. No US player will march into the Shuri Line in this formation (Which created the greatest US single day’s losses of the battle for the island.). And the US player will know the Japanese are there either by deducing it from the terrain elevations or simply by looking at the stacks of Japanese playing pieces waiting for him there.

The problem of “visible” Japanese play pieces on the board was solved by allowing the Japanese player to place “bogus” decoy pieces on the board wherever he wanted and with the only way for the American player to determine if they’re actually “bogus” or not in order to remove them being to move a friendly unit into the space and “discover” what’s there.

The problem of an American “blitzkrieg’s” south was solved by limiting the distance the US could move south of a northern Japanese play piece (including bogus).

The problem of forcing the US player into using the standard US advance was solved by limiting stacking to three US infantry battalions. Now he can’t show up with more even though he knows he’s running into the Shuri Line. Stacking rules exist in most wargames. For the Japanese, stacking is limited only one infantry battalion as defensive tunnels only accommodated one battalion.

I could make the “battle of the Bulge” rule optional but don’t know how to change the game’s victory conditions. The US would have to win in fewer turns. But how many fewer turns?

I'm wondering at this point what the differences in the players PoV & that of 10th Army staff were. That the 10th Army continued to make frontal attacks on the defense can only be partially attributed to stupidity. If the game steers the player to swiftly to a alternate strategy then perhaps there is defect in its simulation of the commanders PoV.
This does not appear to be a problem. 10th Army’s PoV is dictated mainly by their choice of landing beaches and they must land at the historical beaches opposite Yontan and Kadena as not only did they need to capture these airfields but it’s also the only beach big enough to land everything on. So it’s a guarantee the US player’s landing here and in huge numbers. Indeed! If he didn’t land here he’d still be unloading elsewhere 23 turns later when the game ends.
Once the American player begins landing here it dictates a strategy of moving outwards from the beachhead, north, east, and south. Thus, his strategy becomes exactly the same as 10th Army’s.
Once the American player has cleared off any enemy units (bogus or otherwise) around the landing zone, he will encounter the Shuri Line. In all probability he will attack the entire width of the line with the hope of flanking it by the coastal lowlands of either side. Although not very possible, why not try? Even failure will create attrition in the Japanese Army.

There is an alternative strategy the US did not use. Without the “Battle of the Bulge” rule the US can race down the west coast with the intention of taking Kakazu using an entire division backed up by tanks and corps/Army artillery. All Japanese units to the east would be screened off by a second US division.
I've observed this problem in a number of campaigns & games where the attacker had a amphibious force and the defender considerable coast & no clear idea of the limits of the attackers amphibious capability. Where the defender has a good idea of the limits he will take the risks or quickly adjust. Otherwise he often tries to defend to much and mis deploy his reserve.

Correct. I think the most brilliant part of the US campaign was to maintain the threat of a second landing at Minatoga but not actually landing there. It pinned down Japanese troops here that could have been used against US troops on the Shuri Line or against US landings at Minatoga. These “mis-deployed” troops ended up being used pretty much for nothing.

I haven’t played out a landing at Minatoga but I previously mentioned in my other post that Japan had available A/A guns they had failed to use (three battalions of 20mm A/A guns and six battalions of 75mm A/A guns). Although all three 20mm battalions were added to the Shuri line only one 75mm battalion was. The 20mm was pretty much a waste here as it would not penetrate the Sherman tank’s frontal armor. However, they would penetrate American landing ships and had a 3,000 yard range. In the game I included them as coastal defense weapons against landing craft. Two such battalions at Minatoga would have been presented with a very large number of targets and with perfect visibility. These weapons here plus all six battalions of 75mm Type 88 guns on the Shuri Line could have a considerable impact on US forces. My personal guess is that the 75’s would have forced the US to withdraw all their Sherman’s from the attack on the Shuri Line and in just ten days.
The Japanese generals had at this point persuaded themselves the US soldiers would be as weak in the defense as they seemed to be in the attack. The assumed a division size counter attack would shatter the US corps on their front and gain the defense a month or more respite from attacks. Yahara judged it a mistake & says he did not feel the way. He recommended at most some local counter attacks.
Yahara actually interfered with the attack, believing it would fail, in order to reduce casualties (Although some might say the attack failed because of his interference. There’s no right or wrong way to lose a battle.).

But the attack itself was well timed in that the US had withdrawn troops off the line for reorganization with new replacements. And the attack had to be conducted at night or be obliterated by US artillery fire. It was definitely a failure but only Yahara had the wisdom to see it coming. I cannot say, if I were there then, that I would have opposed the attack. In hindsight, yes. In foresight, no. It was the only chance ever presented to create a US setback. After that there were no more. Its failure shortened the Shuri campaign by perhaps a week, maybe two when one considers their losses in artillery pieces.

Although US strategy is pretty much determined by where and when one lands (and the “Bulge” rule) and Japanese by where one choses to defend, ultimately the US will win. It’s just a question of how many turns and at what price. The combination of the Japanese using those A/A guns, using Yahara’s strategy, and the unexpected huge American problem of “combat fatigue” could make this a very deadly game.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 24 Feb 2018, 12:36

I had two “idiot rules” to deal with.
Buckner has been criticized for being a pedantic & unimaginative commander. Perhaps this is where the practices you describe originated from. There also might be a structural problem in your game, which makes to easy for the US player.
Correct. I think the most brilliant part of the US campaign was to maintain the threat of a second landing at Minatoga but not actually landing there. It pinned down Japanese troops here that could have been used against US troops on the Shuri Line or against US landings at Minatoga. These “mis-deployed” troops ended up being used pretty much for nothing.
I lived on the island for two years and never had the interest in inspecting the assorted beaches. One I landed on in a training exercise, on the other I was distracted by the company of a tall blonde Navy Ensign in a two piece. Really don't know how many beaches were suitable & what the other options were. I did study the two beaches used on Tinian island and after that I'd not dismiss any beach for US forces in 1945.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 17 Jun 2018, 17:38

I'm going to add a few of thoughts here regards the Imperial Japanese use of irregular forces on Okinawa. They played a much bigger role than is given credit in terms of the following:

1. Systematically cutting American wire communications.
2. They burned down a USMC SCR-270 Radar in Mid-May 1945 on Kerama Retto and caused a US Army 90mm HAA gun battalion and a 40mm/.50 Cal automatic weapons battalion to be sent to secure the group.
3. In northern Okinawa Japanese irregulars so besieged the Marine Air Warning Squadron at Hedo Saki that their land line of communications was abandoned in favor of LCM lighterage.
4. I've seen enough operational patterns in my research on Okinawa to suggest the Japanese were running a coast watcher network over watching both Kerama Retto and Hagushi beach.

This is a map of that include these irregulars locations in Northern Okinawa and Kerema Retto --
Okinawa naval underground map display -- US Operations & Japanese Irregular force locations on okinawa.jpg

And this is a map of Kerama Retto's 90mm HAA gun battalion positions --
Okinawa -- 10th Army -- Antiaircraft Journal. Vol. 92, No. 4, Jul-Aug 1949  --Pg 7 -- ADa509812.jpg
Okinawa -- 10th Army -- Antiaircraft Journal. Vol. 92, No. 4, Jul-Aug 1949 --Pg 7 -- ADa509812.jpg (93.62 KiB) Viewed 9454 times
Last edited by Mil-tech Bard on 17 Jun 2018, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 17 Jun 2018, 19:19

>>Buckner has been criticized for being a pedantic & unimaginative commander. Perhaps this is where the practices you describe originated from.

Carl,

After spending a lot of time with the POL, Artillery ammunition and medical evacuation logistical documents of 10th Army and USAFPOA/AFMID-PAC "Participation in Okinawa Operations" documents, plus a US Army General's report on Operation ICEBERG planning in Mid-Dec 1944. I have a great deal of respect for Buckner's generalship.

Exhibit A -- Adm Turner planned a 30-day campaign to capture all of Okinawa proper and on day 30 he would kick off the invasion of IE Shima to avoid issues of port congestion.

General Buckner's people looked at the Phase I (Southern Okinawa) and Phase II (Northern Okinawa), the battle reports from Biak and Peleliu and said "Oh Hell No!" The 10th Army planned for a 60-day campaign supply of artillery.

Further, they decided that a "Unit of fire" -- a logistical term of art for several days worth -- usually 3-to-5 -- of artillery ammo meant shooting it out in two days. A "Unit of Fire" was, for example, defined as 250 rounds for a single 105mm Howitzer for Cen-Pac. So every 105mm gun was expected to fire 125 shells a day when shooting during Iceberg. Every unit arrives with 5 units of fire, enough ammo for 10 days of hard fighting.

Pre-Iceberg, a Cen-Pac assault operation showed up with five "units of fire" of artillery for the assault phase and seven units of fire for the mop up/garrison phase.

Tenth Army planned the same five units of fire for the assault...but the conquest and garrison phases on Okinawa saw _19_ units of fire for 105mm and 155mm howitzers (48 total days of shooting) in the Division and Corps and the 155mm Guns and 8-inch howitzers got _14_ units of fire (38 days of shooting). So....for 60 days, 24 units of fire for 105mm and 155mm howitzers and 19 Units of fire for 155mm guns and a 8-inch howitzer battalion, at a higher rate of fire for double the time that the Navy planned the operation for, good enough safety margin.

Except the battle for Southern Okinawa lasted 83 days...

...in the middle of a world wide American artillery ammunition shortage after Hurtegen Forest, the Battle of the Bulge and the Battle of Manila. The Battle of the Hurtgen Forrest and the German Ardennes Offensive in Europe had drained the US Army's strategic reserve of artillery ammunition in the USA. The Battle of Manila drained most 8-howitzer and all the 240mm howitzer ammo in the Pacific theater.

Gen. Buckner wanted four 8-inch and two 240mm howitzer battalions for 10th Army. There was only enough 8-inch howitzer ammunition left over after Manila for a single, 12 gun, 8-howitzer battalion in the Iceberg invasion force.

Opps.

And it gets worse.

On April 6th 1945, the first and largest mass Kamikaze attack sinks the ammunition ships SS Logan Victory and SS Hobbs Victory plus damages and causes the abandonment of a 3rd ammo ship the SS Pierre Victory. (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Logan_Victory)

This destroys three units of fire for the whole invasion force including all the non-unit mortar resupply ammo, all the 105mm and 155mm shells hollowed out to use the VT radar proximity fuses, plus utterly scrambles the artillery shell and propellant lot code paper work as the logistics people scramble to to cross load the various ammo supply points. There are artillery shoot "shorts", "long's" and early detonations though out the campaign from mixed shell and propellant lots as a result.

The wild anti-aircraft artillery shooting by US Naval guards on merchantmen and from 5th Fleet APA & AKA's at Hagushi beach knocks down three American planes in the landing pattern over Yonton, kills five and wounds 70, plus sinks one of the two YOGL barges with the Avgas for Yonton and Kadena airfields. This loss of the YOGL delays the increase in the Okinawa land based fighter garrison from to two groups to four groups by a month. Original Dec 1944 Okinawa planning documents called for four groups of fighters to be based on Okinawa by April 21st 1945. It didn't happen until May 21, 1945 after the IE Shima airfield becomes operational.

The combination of invading Ie Shima two weeks early and the YOGL sinking reduces the tonnage of material that can be landed for Okinawa proper in April 1945 for ground combat and airfield development because lighterage is needed at Ie Shima for airfield development there and much more fuel has to be landed as 55 gallon barrels rather than pumped into a YOGL barge at Okinawa.

See Figure in photo at lower left --
_t9a0242 feaf fuel barge SML.jpg
Returning to the artillery issue, the Imperial Japanese 32nd Army units are so heavily dug in, particularly on the back sides of hills, that 105mm shelling is useless and only direct hits by 155mm howitzers on the mouths of tunnels will have any effect on the Japanese positions. Destroyer to Battleship caliber flat trajectory naval gunfire cannot touch these positions. This makes mortar ammo precious. Particular the larger 4.2 inch mortar ammo as it had a bigger explosive charge than a 155mm howitzer shell. The 10th Army had to _Airlift_ 81mm and 4.2" mortar ammo from Hawaii for a significant portion of the campaign...and they found a number of the 4.2" mortar lots were bad.

And it gets still worse. After a lot of artillery and Ordnance enlisted are press ganged to use airlifted hand tools to hollow out the available 105mm ammo for the available supply of VT-fuses...which start blowing up just out of the tube when fired.

Army Ordnance people in USAFPOA secret documents blamed this on powerful US Navy radar's setting off the VT-fuses.

IMO, it was more likely the hand bored out shells were unbalanced compared to factory hollowed out shells and they rattled the VT fuses to death in the tubes, for which there is some good evidence. It was found early in the VT fuse program that the 90mm AA gun had the wrong rifling to properly stabilize the shell due to a design error in taking the 3-inch gun's rifling to the larger 90mm piece. This induce yaw and the heavy sideway's gee forces in 90mm shells that set off the VT-fuses. The MIT Rad lab proved this by using an early model SCR-584 radar to track the 90mm gun's shell trajectory in early 1943. Which forced the Ordnance department to look at the drawings and find the mistake. The 105mm VT fuse failure modes at Okinawa were identical to these early production 90mm gun VT fuse failures.

Starting 15 April 1945, day 15 into the planned 60 days of the campaign, 10th Army applied artillery shell per day fire restrictions on all batteries.

The histories of the campaign barely mention the Phase III Okinawa operations. The other islands planned to be captured for airfields around Okinawa, but were cancelled.

However, these cancelled Phase III operations were absolutely vital TO SUPPLY ARTILLERY AMMUNITION to the protracted Southern Okinawa campaign. Even with the highest priority in the Artillery in the Pacific, which limited MacArthur's Luzon artillery units to zero point three (0.3) units of fire a day, there simply was no other source of ammo resupply at Okinawa without cannibalizing Phase III operations.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 18 Jun 2018, 01:22

These are from my notes on the cancelled Okinawa Phase III operations --

PARTICIPATION IN THE OKINAWA OPERATION
BY
THE UNITED STATES ARMY FORCES
PACIFIC OCEAN AREAS
APRIL - JUNE 1945

VOLUME 1

Page 40

Part 1 - USAFPOA
SECTION V -- LONG RANGE PLANNING AND LOGISTICS FOR OKINAWA OPERATION

A. PLANNING

d. Phase III or the campaign was sub-divided into five separate operations:

(1) The first operation (IIIa) called for the occupation of Okina Daito. This small island to the east or Okinawa was to be established as a LORAN station.

(2) The objective of the second operation (IIIb) was the capture Kume, which was to be established as an airfield for two (VLR) bomber wings.

(3) The third operation (IIIc) had for its objective the capture of Miyako and its development as an additional air base and southern outpost of Okinawa. A Marine Corps or three divisions was designated as the assault force for this operation. One Marine division was to remain garrison until relieved by a redeployed Army division. The balance or the garrison force was to consist of four AAA gun battalions , four AAA AW battalions, and three 155mm coast artillery gun battalions. The air force garrison was to include two Marine fighter groups, one night fighter squadron (Marine), one navy torpedo bomber squadron, and two very heavy bomber wings (Army).

(4) In operation (IIId) forces were to seize Kikai Jima which was necessary as an additional air base and northern outpost for Okinawa.

The assault force was to consist of one reinforced Army division; the garrison force: one division, two AAA gun battalions, three AAA AW battalions, and two l55mm coast artillery gun battalions. The air force garrison was to comprise four fighter groups, two night fighter squadrons, and one Navy torpedo bomber squadron.

(5) The fifth and final operation (IIIe) called for the capture or Tokuno with an assault force of one reinforced infantry division. The purpose of this operation was to establish additional airfields to the north or Okinawa for Naval air units.

Pages 42 - 42

d. During the month of January 1945, phases IIIa (Okino Daito) and IIIb (KUME) were postponed indefinitely. Phase III c (Miyako Jima) was postponed indefinitely in April 1945, Phase IIIe (Tokuno Shima) in May 1945, and Phase IIId (Kikai Jima) in June 1945. Troop resources previously allotted to phases IIIc and IIId of the operation were made available tor employment at Okinawa. CinCPOA screened these troop resources and indicated which units could be diverted to Okinawa. The Tenth Army had requested that all units available for the operation be moved to Okinawa as soon as practicable.

These are consolidated from various 10th Army/USAFPOA/USN Iceberg planning documents:

Iceberg Phase III Place-Code Names & Planned Airfield capacities

Phase III A -- OKINO DAITO JIMA - THREADWORM -- No Air Strips, sea plane base & LORAN station
Phase III B -- KUME SHIMA - KNOWLEDGE - 2 Ftr Strip, 1 HB Strip
Phase III C -- MIYAKO JIMA - ADJUTANT - 2 Ftr Strip, 1 HB Strip (A-Day planned as L Plus 90)
Phase III D -- KIKAI SHIMA - FRICTION - 2 Ftr Strip, 1 HB Strip (F Day planned as L Plus 120),
Phase III E -- Tokuno - ADJOURN - 2 Ftr Strip, 1 HB Strip (In place of KNOWLEDGE?)
Phase III (alt) examined and rejected for for both IIIB & !!!E -- OKINO ERABU SHIMA - ACQUAINT - 2 Ftr Strip, 1 HB Strip (15 Feb tac study 10th Army)

diamonddave

Post by diamonddave » 17 Aug 2018, 23:52

Any news on the game"?

Wargames

Post by Wargames » 23 Aug 2018, 11:26

diamonddave wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 23:52
Any news on the game"?
You can certainly kill a lot more American soldiers than was accomplished by the Japanese simply by not counterattacking US troops. Rolling out the Japanese artillery to conduct fire support for such an attack exposes the guns to not only US counter artillery fire but also naval fire and air attack. You can lose a lot of guns as well as a lot of Japanese troops in a day. You can extend the battle by at least another week if you can resist the temptation to hit the US while its divisions have pulled off the line for refitting and replacements. For the American player he is constantly managing the landing beachhead long after the US troops in the initial landing have advanced inland. There are tons of men and material still aboard ship and they take forever to unload. Then what is unloaded has to find the division it is attached to and, if it includes replacements, the division must be pulled off the line to take them. Managing replacement troops increases problems by another additional 50% when "battle fatigue" troops are also replaced. The effect of battle fatigue was simply not accounted for by the invasion planning and it eventually becomes a huge problem. Another problem for the US is trying to "take" a position. It is pretty much impossible to completely take a tunnel position before casualties force the US to call off an attack. The reason for this is three fold:

First, the Japanese fire power is pretty much exactly what they need to have an even exchange of casualties with the US. A thousand a day can die on both sides. While this may seem unrealistic as the Japanese historically had a huge number of men and suffered more casualties (i.e. not an even exchange) included in their number were service and support troops unfit for combat who simply became cannon fodder. Such Japanese troops are not included in the game. The ones included in the game can shoot and they are backed up by effective artillery.

Second, once you have an even exchange, you eventually get a US withdrawal short of capturing their objective. And, while the Japanese may have suffered equal casualties, they can simply re-enter the tunnels from behind, throw out the dead, and start new all over again. The only way to actually take a position is to kill all the Japanese soldiers in it with no remaining Japanese soldiers left to be able to take their place. While this can, and eventually will, happen it can take weeks.

Third, the game uses standardized Japanese battalions all using the same TOE. The total number of weapons remains the same but they are no longer organized along different lines. It allows the Japanese player to maintain a consistent strength of defense across the entire front. This greatly simplifies command.

There is also a fourth factor and that is the speed of Japanese Army units. They move way faster than American troops making it possible for the Japanese player to quickly send reinforcements wherever they are needed.

The Japanese player also has the use of weapons they originally had but failed to use. The first is covering beachheads with 20mm guns aimed at US landing craft. Although not very numerous and with only a few elevations to put them on, they will inflict landing casualties (And not a small number either - Witness Tarawa). US casualties now begin day one. The addition of 75mm A/A guns in the anti-tank role is sufficient to negate the American Sherman tanks.

When these factors are considered it is possible for the Japanese player to hold the Shuri line for another two weeks and perhaps longer even if the "Battle of the Bulge" rule is removed.

What seals the Japanese fate is the threat of an American landing in their rear on the southern tip of the island. The best thing the American player can do is not land here at all but maintain the threat of it. This ties down Japanese troops that could be better used elsewhere.

The game itself is not one of fun as much as education. The strategy and room to maneuver is too limited to allow either side to do much more than what was done historically. It's a slug-fest. The educational part is the enormous numbers of casualties for each side. If one considers American "battle fatigue" losses as "battle" casualties (some can be returned to play) it becomes a depressing game for the slaughter. It is rather similar to the Battle of Verdun in WWI.

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 27 Aug 2018, 09:57

Around six or seven wargames have been published dealing with the Okinawa battle. Probably the most realistic and useful were the two put out by SPi and the Wargamer. It might be useful for you to see how other designers approached the problem. Copies turn up frequently on eBay.
γνώθι σαυτόν

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”