1st Imperial Guards Division

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
wdgysin

1st Imperial Guards Division

Post by wdgysin » 12 Nov 2018, 07:40

Hello all;
I am working on the organization of the 1st Imperial Guards Division and have come up with this from US and Japanese
sources:

1st IG Division (activated 14May1943)
Division HQ
1st IG Infantry Regiment
2nd IG Infantry Regiment
6th IG Infantry Regiment
7th IG Infantry Regiment (added to division 7 Sep 1943)
IG Cavalry Regiment
1st IG Field Artillery Regiment
1st IG Machine Cannon Battalion (added to division 31 Aug 1944)
1st IG Engineer Regiment
1st IG Division Signal Unit
1st IG Transport Regiment ?
1st IG Division Medical Unit ?

My question is about the Transport Regiment, Medical Unit, Field Hospitals, Vetrinary Unit and Water Supply & Purification Unit. Were
these units mobilized? It doesn't list them in a JCARS assignment table I found but I have seen them listed in other sources . I realize the
division was tasked with guarding the Imperial Palace and Residencies and that this could be the reason for not mobilizing the support
troops as it was not expected to deploy outside of the palace grounds. Can someone give me confirmation and their source on wheather
or not these units were activated?

Akira Takizawa

Re: 1st Imperial Guards Division

Post by Akira Takizawa » 12 Nov 2018, 09:10

> My question is about the Transport Regiment, Medical Unit, Field Hospitals, Vetrinary Unit and Water Supply & Purification Unit. Were
these units mobilized?

They did not exist in 1st Imperial Guards Division.

> It doesn't list them in a JCARS assignment table I found but I have seen them listed in other sources.

They confuse 1st Imperial Guards Division with Imperial Guards Division. In the Pacific War, Imperial Guards Division was sent to south and stayed on Sumatra. In 1943, Imperial Guards Division was renamed into 2nd Imperial Guards Division and 1st Imperial Guards Division was newly formed in Japan.

Taki

hysteric

Post by hysteric » 13 Nov 2018, 20:04

Although the 1st Imperial Guards Division mojifu is: Gū 隅, the code names for its units begin: Tobu 東部 (probably a clue the division was never intended for field service).

1st Imperial Guards Infantry Regiment - code name Tobu 2
2nd Imperial Guards Infantry Regiment - code name Tobu 3

My question is; are designations Tobu 2, (East 2), Tobu 3 (East 3), etc, barracks designations, training barracks designations or something else?

Thanks in advance.

hysteric

wdgysin

Post by wdgysin » 13 Nov 2018, 22:19

Hysteric,
The 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) designation is the barracks the replacements came from and is usually occupied by a specific replacement
unit that trains the replacements. The unit usually suplies replacements for more than one unit. To make it more confusing, if the
active divisional unit returns home to the barracks, the depot division unit is absorbed back into the active unit and then the active
divisional unit is responsible for training all the replacements for active units drawing replacements from that barracks. The
replacement system is very confusing and hard to wade through. Also, on 11 Feb 1945 the Depot Divisions were abolished and their
replacement functions absorbed by the Divisional District with the original replacement units designations changed.

1st IG Div HQ 隅 (Gū/Corner) ? Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) ?
1st IG Rgt 隅 (Gū/Corner) ? Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 2
2nd IG Rgt 隅 (Gū/Corner) ? Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 3
6th IG Rgt 隅 (Gū/Corner) ? Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 7
7th IG Rgt 隅 (Gū/Corner) ? Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 8
IG Cav Rgt 隅 (Gū/Corner) ? Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 4
1st IG FA Rgt 隅 (Gū/Corner) ? Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 13
1st IG MC Unt 隅 (Gū/Corner) ? Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 20
1st IG Egr Rgt 隅 (Gū/Corner) ? Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 81
1st IG D Sig Unt 隅 (Gū/Corner) ? Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 82

The Division drew replacements from the 2nd IG Depot Division until 11 Feb45 when it was changed to the Tōkyō Divisional District.
Since the 2nd IG Depot Division units have different Eastern designations, the anecdotal evidence suggests that the 1st Division had
it's own set of barracks with the designations as above rather than the ones the 2nd IG Depot Division occupied in Tōkyō. To date I
have not found a list of Barracks buildings and their numericle designations. Also, I have not been able to determine if the division
was assigned code numbers, but if they weren't this seems to go against the other divisions that received them even when they didn't
deploy out of the home islands. I would assume it was because they were a unique unit guarding the emperor and were never set
to deploy anywhere.

hysteric

Post by hysteric » 14 Nov 2018, 01:13

Hello wdgysin,

Thank you for the very nice description of the army's replacement system.
wdgysin wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 22:19
Also, I have not been able to determine if the division was assigned code numbers, but if they weren't this seems to go against the other divisions that received them even when they didn't deploy out of the home islands. I would assume it was because they were a unique unit guarding the emperor and were never set deploy anywhere.

It seems doubtful those units comprising the 1st Imperial Guards Division were assigned code numbers for Gū 隅 or they would be available somewhere, Tobu 東部 is the only "mojifu" I've seen for the division's component units. The pdf shows a standard list although there is one with a 1st I.G. Transport Unit 東部17, which seems to never have mobilized.

...anecdotal evidence suggests that the 1st Division had it's own set of barracks with the designations as above rather than the ones the 2nd IG Depot Division occupied in Tōkyō. To date I have not found a list of Barracks buildings and their numerical designations.

I guess my question is; are the unit designations from Tobu I.G. Div. Barracks or as is usually the case from Tobu Training Barracks (as per your replacements explanation)? It seems we are both looking for similar answers.

hysteric
Attachments
1st Imperial Guard Division C15011165400.pdf
(152.42 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

wdgysin

Post by wdgysin » 14 Nov 2018, 03:45

Hysteric,
Thank you for the attachment; I have one along the same lines but not exactly the same. I got mine from JACAR file # C15011200500.
I think that all the Eastern District designations for the 1st IG Division are most likely barracks within or close to the Imperial Compound. These
seem to be regular barracks, quartering the troops. The replacements were trained at the 2nd IG Depot Division which must have occupied dif-
ferent training barracks in Tōkyō as all it's Eastern District designations are different, probably denoting different locations.

2nd IG Dep Div HQ Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) ? provided rpl for 1st IG Div HQ
3rd IG Inf Rgt Rpl Unt Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 6 " " " 1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th IG Inf Rgts
4th IG Inf Rgt Rpl Unt Kohu 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 63 " " " other units (not from 1st IG Div)
5th IG Inf Rgt Rpl Unt Sakura 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 64 " " " other units (not from 1st IG Div)
IG Rcn Rgt Rpl Unt Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 10 " " " IG Cav Rgt
2nd IG FA Rgt Rpl Unt Tōkyō 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 12 " " " 1st IG FA Rgt
2nd IG Egr Rgt Rpl Unt Kashiwa 東部 (Tōbu/Eastern) 14 " " " 1st IG Egr Rgt

The 2nd IG Depot Division supplied the 1st, 2nd & 3rd IG Div, 1st, 27th, 28th, 31st, 32nd, 35th, 59th, 60th, 61st, 109th, 114th, 117th Divs as well as other units. The locations listed are all in Tōkyō Metropolis, as it was called from 1943. Thus, unfortunately, some tables give the detailed location within Tōkyō Metropolis and some don't.

stulev

Post by stulev » 14 Nov 2018, 13:47

I only have the TOBU code numbers for the 1st Imperial Guards Division in my code number listing

hysteric

Post by hysteric » 14 Nov 2018, 18:19

Hello wdgysin,

Thank you for the information and JACAR code number. I haven't seen that list before, some divisions are shown with pretty detailed information. Nice!
wdgysin wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 03:45
The 2nd IG Depot Division supplied the 1st, 2nd & 3rd IG Div, 1st, 27th, 28th, 31st, 32nd, 35th, 59th, 60th, 61st, 109th, 114th, 117th Divs as well as other units. The locations listed are all in Tōkyō Metropolis, as it was called from 1943. Thus, unfortunately, some tables give the detailed location within Tōkyō Metropolis and some don't.
interesting! I understand Imperial guard recruits were drawn from Army District lists nationwide as opposed to Divisional or Regimental District lists. From the list of other divisions it seems there are numerous reasons for using Tokyo training barracks. The 27th and 28th Divs were activated in China, the 32nd Div had the 211th Infantry Regiment who's home station was Tokyo, likewise 35th Div's 220th I.R. The 59th and 60th Divs were China activations, the 61st Div's home station was Tokyo, 109th Div was reactivated in the Ogasawaras and the 114th and 117th came into being in China. For most part the circumstances seem to fit a situation where conscripts did not need to be drawn from any particular geographic area as was usual for homeland divisions.

hysteric
Last edited by hysteric on 14 Nov 2018, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

hysteric

Post by hysteric » 14 Nov 2018, 18:24

stulev wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 13:47
I only have the TOBU code numbers for the 1st Imperial Guards Division in my code number listing
I'm positive that we are supposed to refer to the units within the 1st Imperial Guard Division as Tobu units, although it would be very interesting if a list of code numbers for Gū appeared.

Cheers!

wdgysin

Post by wdgysin » 14 Nov 2018, 20:46

More Info on the 1st IG Div:

1st Imperial Guards Division (近衛第一師団 Konoe Dai Ichi Shidan)
organized: at Tokyo Met, Honshu, Japan 14May43-1Jun43
order: IGHQ AO A No ? ?43
source: formed from troops of the IG Mxd Bde and new units.
mission: formed to protect the Emperor, Imperial Household, and Imperial Palace area and
perform ceremonial duties.
depot: Tōkyō, Tōkyō Met, Honshū, Japan
repl unit: 2nd IG Depot Div
code desig: 隅 (Gu/Corner)
abbreviation: G1D
commanders: Lt Gen Toshima Fusataro (22) 10Jun43-29Oct43
Lt Gen Akashiba Yaezō (24) 29Oct43-7Apr45
Lt Gen Mori Takeshi (28) (Assasinated 15 Aug45) 7Apr45-15Aug45
Lt Gen Gotō Mitsuzō (29) 15Aug45-2Sep45
chiefs of staff: Col Iwasaki Harushige (33) 10Jun43-27Nov44
Col Namba Satoshi (35) 27Nov44-9Jan45
Col Onoda Hiroshi (33) 9Jan45-6Apr45
Col Namba Satoshi (35) 6Apr45-15Jun45
Col Mizutani Kazuo (33) 15Jun45-15Aug45
Col Ishikawa Susumu (35) 15Aug45-EOW
assignments: Eastern District Army IGHQ AO No ? 24May43-6Feb45
12th Area Army IGHQ AO No 1244 6Feb45-EOW
movements: Imperial Palace, Tokyo (HQ) 10Jun43-EOW
deactivated: at Tokyo, Tokyo Met, Honshu, Japan 10Sep45

sources: Rikugun: Guide to Japanese Ground Forces 1937-1945, Vol I, Leland Ness, Helion & Co Ltd, Solihull, UK, 2014
pp 138-140
Japanese Armed Forces Order of Battle 1937-1945, Vol I, W Victor Madej, Game Marketing Co, Allentown, PA,
1981 pg 22
JCAR C12121061400
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/近衛師団
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/歩兵連隊#近衛歩兵連隊

wdgysin

Post by wdgysin » 14 Nov 2018, 22:09

Hysteric,
I will keep searching through both Japanese and US sources for the code numbers for the 1st IG Div and let you know if and when I locate
anything.
This Division seems to be special in so many ways, probably due to it's mission of guarding the Emperor and Imperial Palace. The division was not
typical in the fact that it had four infantry regiments, the only other divisions of four infantry regiments being the earliest Coastal Divisions formed from the end of Feb 45 to Apr 45. The reason they had four regiments was that three held the coast and one was kept for mobile counter-
attack. This is obviously not the case with the 1st IG Div.
The division also had a horsed cavalry regiment for ceremonial duties, when most active units at this time were given reconnaissance regiments
and the cavalry regiments were being converted or disbanded. The lack of all the division service support units (ie: Transport Regiment, Div
Ordnance Duty Unit, Division Medical Unit, Division Field Hospitals, Division Veterinary Hospital, and Division Water Supply and Purification
Section) mystifies me as all other divisions were formed with these units (or smaller/combined versions of them). No matter what, the troops
would need to be provided support in these areas somehow. Perhaps the Eastern District Army provided these.

hysteric

Post by hysteric » 15 Nov 2018, 17:11

wdgysin wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 22:09
Hysteric,
I will keep searching through both Japanese and US sources for the code numbers for the 1st IG Div and let you know if and when I locate
anything.
Yes please wdgysin, I'd love to see code numbers for Gū.
The division also had a horsed cavalry regiment for ceremonial duties.

The lack of all the division service support units mystifies me as all other divisions were formed with these units (or smaller/combined versions of them). No matter what, the troops would need to be provided support in these areas somehow. Perhaps the Eastern District Army provided these.
Not so surprising if the sole function of the 1st I.G. Div. is to provide security for the Emperor and palace grounds. On paper it looks more like a super strong mixed brigade than a field division and was probably never intended to serve elsewhere. I think when you highlighted the 'horsed cavalry regiment for ceremonial duties' that is strong evidence of the division's function.

Best, hysteric

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 22 Nov 2018, 07:49

Hello wdgysin,
wdgysin wrote: 1st Imperial Guards Division (近衛第一師団 Konoe Dai Ichi Shidan)
organized: at Tokyo Met, Honshu, Japan 14May43-1Jun43
order: IGHQ AO A No ? ?43
source: formed from troops of the IG Mxd Bde and new units.
order: 昭和18年軍令陸甲第40号 1943 Army Regulation "A" No.40 dated 14May43

fontessa

wdgysin

Post by wdgysin » 23 Nov 2018, 11:55

Thanks Fontessa!

For filling in the hole.

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 25 Mar 2020, 13:54

Hello, I would like to ask the compostion of artillery of 1st Imperial Guards Division, anyone can help ?

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”