Japanese forces in Indo-China 1940/41

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Brady

Re: Japanese forces in Indo-China 1940/41

Post by Brady » 30 Jan 2009, 03:53

The Nell'ish plane is I am failry certain the Tina transport varient.

The other type is:

ORIGINAL: juliet7bravo

It's an American built Lockheed 14 WG3 Super-Electra (TOBY) (tracked the civilian registration number (JBDOP)) purchased/owned/operated by the Japanese national airline, which I thought was interesting. The Type LO transport (THELMA) was the Tachikawa license built copy of the Lockheed 14 WG3 Super-Electra, and used by the military. I think.

lucitez

Post by lucitez » 30 Jan 2009, 04:34

Brady wrote:It's an American built Lockheed 14 WG3 Super-Electra (TOBY) (tracked the civilian registration number (JBDOP)) purchased/owned/operated by the Japanese national airline, which I thought was interesting. The Type LO transport (THELMA) was the Tachikawa license built copy of the Lockheed 14 WG3 Super-Electra, and used by the military. I think.[/i]
of course, the Kawasaki Ki-56 was derived from the Lockheed Model 14 Super Electra

the other planes, im still thinking that is a "Nell"

Brady

Post by Brady » 30 Jan 2009, 04:43

Loadstar-right, but the reasion this is the:American built Lockheed 14 WG3 Super-Electra , is the civilian code identirys it as such.

Nell- The reasion it is a Tina , not the Nell imo, is the row of windows along the fuslage, and the paint job, lack of gun blisters is also a give away.

The picture is also incorectly labeld, that is not a G3M, but a L3Y. (the transport varient of the G3M).

lucitez

Post by lucitez » 30 Jan 2009, 05:06

thanks Brady, clear my dobut, the sames planes but diferent version, still civilian, isn´t?.

anyway, what are they doing in Indochina? maybe a VIP transport? do you know wich airfield?

thanks again

I

lucitez

Post by lucitez » 30 Jan 2009, 05:27

Brady wrote:the reasion this is the:American built Lockheed 14 WG3 Super-Electra , is the civilian code identirys it as such.
do you mean that the japanese buy an american aircraft, not built under licence?

Brady

Post by Brady » 30 Jan 2009, 06:57

lucitez wrote:
Brady wrote:the reasion this is the:American built Lockheed 14 WG3 Super-Electra , is the civilian code identirys it as such.
do you mean that the japanese buy an american aircraft, not built under licence?
p.507-Francilion notes:(not direct quote summery)

30 of this type were exported from Lockhead to Japan, the machine above is aparently one of them. Tachikawa of course built the type under licence, but again this is not one of their Japanese built Machines.

Brady

Post by Brady » 30 Jan 2009, 07:04

lucitez wrote:thanks Brady, clear my dobut, the sames planes but diferent version, still civilian, isn´t?.

anyway, what are they doing in Indochina? maybe a VIP transport? do you know wich airfield?

thanks again

I
In the original pictue posted by Peter, the Tina is I beleave a IJN Machine, but I am uncertain, the tail code and the National Insigana would sugest it is.

The Nell, AKA G3M- was the IJN Bomber/Torpedo Bomber.

The Tina, AKA L3Y, was the Transport plane, they were not interchangable.

As to why their in idochina, It was ocupied by the Japanese and efecitvely placed under their controle priour to the start of the war in the Pacific. These planes could be their for any number of reasions, I beleave the Civilian Airlines in Japan did contract work for the Japanese Military and that some of their machines were eveunatly taken over by the military.

lucitez

Post by lucitez » 30 Jan 2009, 21:18

thanks again. i´m very interest in this period when japanese established in Indochina. I know that the japanese set up several airfield in Indochina. do you know how much was the japanese air activity during those years?

Brady

Post by Brady » 30 Jan 2009, 23:34

lucitez wrote:thanks again. i´m very interest in this period when japanese established in Indochina. I know that the japanese set up several airfield in Indochina. do you know how much was the japanese air activity during those years?
I would think extensive, but I am not an expert on these matters, and that question is very broad based.

lucitez

Post by lucitez » 31 Jan 2009, 15:52

thanks

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 07 Feb 2009, 09:38

Indochina In 1940

Bob_Mackenzie

Post by Bob_Mackenzie » 17 Dec 2011, 01:06

Postby Akira Takizawa on Tue May 30, 2006 5:43 am
North Indochina in 1940

5th Division - Lt. Gen. Akihito Nakamura
Indochina Expeditionary Army - Major Gen. Takuma Nishimura
 Indochina Expeditionary Infantry Group - Major Gen. Takeshi Sakurada
 2nd Imperial Guards Infantry Regiment - Col. Kunio Osonoe
 Indochina Expeditionary Tank Unit (14th Tank Regiment)
 Indochina Expeditionary AA Gun Unit, Signal Unit and others
Apologies for resurrecting a rather old thread. Does anyone have any details of the composition of the Central and south columns during the 1940 attack?

Thanks

Bob

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 17 Dec 2011, 03:06

I don't know what you mean by Central and south columns. 5th Division entered Indochina from the China border and Indochina Expeditionary Army landed on Indochina from the sea.

Taki

Bob_Mackenzie

Post by Bob_Mackenzie » 17 Dec 2011, 12:52

http://stonebooks.com/history/vichyvsjapan.shtml
The Attack at Lang Son
The Japanese attack began at 2200 on 22 September 1940. The northern column took Bi Nhi on the border and advanced up the road to the north toward That Khe (defended by one company), away from the main battle. The main effort came from the central column which crossed the border at Nam Quam, pushed aside two companies of II/3rd RTT, and then turned south at Dong Dang along the road and railway. The southern column rolled through the platoon holding Chima and attacked Loc Binh; there the bulk of a company of II/3rd RTT withdrew southward to cover Na Dzuong (reinforced there by elements of 9th RIC) while the Japanese pushed northward to support the central column's drive on Lang Son and cut the railroad to Hanoi. Thus Lang Son was threatened by the southern column and by the central column moving down from the north.
As the Japanese columns advanced on 23 September, Vichy commanders desperately attempted to impose control on the confused situation. Reserves were dispatched to the sector, but by afternoon enemy spearheads were already approaching Lang Son from the north. The airstrip there was bombed out in the afternoon.
The next day, IV/3rd RTT, brought up from its frontier posts in the night, attempted to counterattack in the direction of Dong Dang but was forestalled by a Japanese thrust from that town toward Khanh Khe conducted by part of the central column. Most of the native troops of the Vichy battalion melted away, leaving only the French elements.
Meanwhile, the central and southern Japanese columns continued to tighten their hold on Lang Son. The local Vichy commander contemplated withdrawal while a route remained open, but was ordered by General Martin in Hanoi to hold the town. South of the Song Ky Kong, the Japanese column took advantage of confusion among the defenders to push to the edge of town. North of the river in Ky Lua, the Japanese opened their 25 September assault against I/3rd RTT with heavy artillery preparation at 0530. Three hours later General Mennerat notified Hanoi that Lang Son, isolated and untenable without air and artillery support, must surrender. At 1040 General Martin granted permission and, following local negotiations, the bulk of I/3rd RTT and II/5th REI, remnants of I/9th RIC, and brigade HQ fell into Japanese hands.
The capture of Lang Son on the 25th released the bulk of 5th Division and opened the way south to Hanoi. Still in position, though, were Vichy defenders at That Khe in the north, Na Dzuong in the south, and -- in the critical sector -- fresh battalions barring the route from Lang Son at Lang Giai and Lang Nac.

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 17 Dec 2011, 14:10

Northern column - Shimizu Detachment (A part of 5th Division, but its compositon is unknown,)
Centeral column - 21st Brigade of 5th Division
Southern column - 9th Brigade of 5th Division

Taki

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”