Japanese takeover of Shanghai International Settlement

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Shanghailander

Re: Japanese takeover of Shanghai International Settlement

Post by Shanghailander » 28 Dec 2012, 19:29

Several of the photos in this thread are actually from 1937, including a parade through the International Settlement held by Japanese troops in December 1937 after their victory in the Battle of Shanghai.

After the Occupation, the first round up of Allied citizens occurred on November 5, 1942. These initial internees, slated for the Haiphong Road Internment Camp, were people on the Japanese watch list who had potential to cause problems for them, due to connections in the technical, language, communications, financial, or religious fields.

The first internment of general population occurred on January 31, 1943. This was for the Pootung Camp, situated at what is now the Pearl TV tower in Pudong. Internment continued with the last intake in June, 1944.

Ballard's Empire of the Sun, by the way, is fiction. His actual experience was NOTHING like the book. The actual takeover was nothing like the movie, either.

Greg Leck
author, Captives of Empire - The Japanese Internment of Allied Civilians in China, 1941-1945
http://www.captives-of-empire.com

cstunts

Post by cstunts » 29 Dec 2012, 00:15

Greg wrote:

"Ballard's Empire of the Sun, by the way, is fiction. His actual experience was NOTHING like the book."

How EXACTLY do you know that J. G. Ballard's experience was "NOTHING" like his representation in the novel? That's a metaphysical statement, in effect, so rather curious...

As for the seizure of WAKE, this was something for which ADM Thomas Hart of the Asiatic Fleet never really forgave RADM Wm. Glassford. Time & again in later accounts and narratives, Hart stated that it should never have happened at all.

CPR Empress ships

Post by CPR Empress ships » 11 Mar 2013, 22:30

If anyone knows Jansen Yu 'Windward', please thank him on my behalf for his post of 2007 which gave precise detail and map on the stages of Japanese presence and takeover stages of the International settlement, 1937-41.

Until his post, I couldn't find an explanation why a photo in my mother's album dated within a day or two of August 17th, 1937, showed Japanese soldiers on picket duty outside the entrance to the Broadway Mansions still in the International Settlement. I always thought that the British and American nilitary would have kept the Japanese military presence out of the settlement north of the Szuchou Creek.

Both my parents worked on board the Canadian Pacific Railway Empress of Japan and Empress of Russia during the 1930's, so they regularly visited Shanghai, even during the period 1937-1940

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”