Translation Requests

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
RJcccc

Post by RJcccc » 02 Feb 2007, 17:25

The party is hold for the young students of the three countries (China, Manchukuo and Thailand).

The ambassador of Manchukuo was Li Shaogeng, who was subsequently the diplomatic minister of Manchukuo.

But I’m not sure about the two men in the middle. Maybe they are all officers of Thailand.

And the shortest actress was the famous actress Li Xianglan (李香兰). She was actually Japanese born in Manchuria. But she concealed her ancestry in the war, pretending to be a Chinese. Her Japanese name was Yoshiko Yamaguchi (山口淑子). Otherwise, she became a senator of Japan after the war. Her experiences were interesting.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 02 Feb 2007, 17:44

Thanks for this fantastic multimedia map~!

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 03 Feb 2007, 01:16

Kim Sung wrote:
Thanks for this fantastic multimedia map~!
Hint for users of the Latin alphabet.
You have to change the name of the presentation after downloading or while saving onto a hard drive to open it. For example I changed the name from 北伐战争形势图.exe to map.exe, because it did not work without the change.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 03 Feb 2007, 01:36

Thanks R.J.

More on Yamaguchi Yoshiko("the Japanese Judy Garland") here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshiko_Otaka

I can't find much on Chu Minyi(1884-1946).Something about him being a revolutionist and a member of the Celestial Way in his eary years?Has anyone some information on this man?

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 03 Feb 2007, 15:25

I am afraid to say I cannot read the name of sender (the second last line) on Jason's jpeg. The rest of message partly reads 'write to me' 'take care of yourself' 'On southern sea'.
Peter's picture was taken in Kaohsiung(高雄) city, Taiwan. Those days Asano Cement Co. used a station called 田町, today Gushan Station in this city as a freighter yard.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image ... e_view.jpg (recent picture of the station)
This picture is from a party held at 'Asano garden' nearby.
The right-most man: 褚民誼 I don't know how to pronounce. He was an ambassador from Wang Jingwei collaborator government.
Next lady:汪洋 An actress who appear in the cast roll of some Japanese movies. A site suggests she belonged to 國華影業公司, a Chinese movie production.
The third lady from the right:李香蘭 A Japanese actress born in Manchuria. From political reasons, she was introduced as a collaborating Chinese. See below for the detail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshiko_Otaka
Left-most man:李紹庚 The ambassador from Manchuria.
This article says youths from China, Manchuria, Thailand and Japan enjoyed friendly party with VIPs of the countries. Though not on the pic, a Thailand secretary from the embassy also joined in this party.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 03 Feb 2007, 16:03

You can see 李紹庚's name several times in this link.

List of Munchukuo officials

One strange thing is that the Japanese officials had a high percentage in the Manchukuo foreign ministry.

RJcccc

Post by RJcccc » 04 Feb 2007, 17:08

hisashi wrote: Peter's picture was taken in Kaohsiung(高雄) city, Taiwan. Those days Asano Cement Co. used a station called 田町, today Gushan Station in this city as a freighter yard.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image ... e_view.jpg (recent picture of the station)
This picture is from a party held at 'Asano garden' nearby.
Your translation is more convincible, because the caption in Japanese is more detailed than the one in Chinese.
In addition, what's the meaning of the word "芝区“ in that Japanese caption? Is it an area in Taiwan?
I am afraid to say I cannot read the name of sender (the second last line) on Jason's jpeg. The rest of message partly reads 'write to me' 'take care of yourself' 'On southern sea'.
I only can read the bottom part of the third line from left. It means "here's to your health'.
Is it that the surname of sender looks like the kanji 世海?

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 04 Feb 2007, 17:35

李香蘭 and 汪洋 appeared as cousins in 'The Oath at Hot Desert' (熱砂の誓い) in 1940.

RJcccc

Post by RJcccc » 05 Feb 2007, 16:36

Peter H wrote: I can't find much on Chu Minyi(1884-1946).Something about him being a revolutionist and a member of the Celestial Way in his eary years?Has anyone some information on this man?
Some information on Chu Minyi (1884-1946):

Mainly according to this page in Chinese:
http://baike.baidu.com/view/48688.htm

His native place: Wuxing (now called Huzhou) in Zhejiang province
In 1903, he went to Japan to learn. In 1906, he set out to France, joining United Allegiance Society (the antetype of KMT) in Singapore. Then he attended several activities to overthrow the Qing Dynasty in Paris. In 1911, he returned to Shanghai, marrying. (Her wife was a sister of Wang Jingwei’s wife, Chen Bijun.) After that, he had gone to Europe for two times until 1924, when he achieved a doctor degree on medicine in strasbourg University :oops: . From 1924 to 1932, he held a post as the president of some colleges.

In 1932: secretary-general of executive-yuan
In Mar.1940: vice-president of executive-yuan and foreign minister in Wang’s government
In Dec.1940: ambassador to Japan
In Oct.1941: foreign minister (again)
In Apr.1945 : nomarch of Canton province
On 14th Oct.1945: ensnared in Canton
On 23th Aug.1946: executed in Suzhou, Jiangsu province

He was a versatile man, both good at Chinese traditional drama and shadowboxing. He was stubborn before he died. His last words: “I am not shame for my living, yet my dead will make more value. My body should be sent to XXXX hospital to assist the study on medicine.”
:o There was a byword in China describing the main members of Wang’s government. “Chen Gongbo’s mouth, Zhou Fuohai’s pen and Chu Minyi’s legs.” :)

RJcccc

Post by RJcccc » 05 Feb 2007, 16:45

Kim Sung wrote:You can see 李紹庚's name several times in this link.

One strange thing is that the Japanese officials had a high percentage in the Manchukuo foreign ministry.
Kim, there was the name of Nobusuke Kishi (岸信介) in that list, who was the hypo-minister of industrial ministry and is the maternal grandfather of current prime minister Shinzo Abe.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 05 Feb 2007, 17:26

RJcccc wrote:
Kim Sung wrote:You can see 李紹庚's name several times in this link.

Kim, there was the name of Nobusuke Kishi (岸信介) in that list, who was the hypo-minister of industrial ministry and is the maternal grandfather of current prime minister Shinzo Abe.
Yes, he carried out 'The 5 Year Plan for Industrial Development' in Manchuria. We can understand Abe Shinzo's radical right wing psychology by looking back at his grandfather's past.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 05 Feb 2007, 18:10

RJcccc wrote:He was a versatile man, both good at Chinese traditional drama and shadowboxing. He was stubborn before he died. His last words: “I am not shame for my living, yet my dead will make more value. My body should be sent to XXXX hospital to assist the study on medicine.”
Was his last wish realized?

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 07 Feb 2007, 13:19

Thanks R.J.

Regards
Peter

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 07 Feb 2007, 13:22

Italians?Germans?

Can someone help?
Attachments
fn.jpg
fn.jpg (75.66 KiB) Viewed 3515 times
fliers.jpg
fliers.jpg (107.94 KiB) Viewed 3515 times

RJcccc

Post by RJcccc » 07 Feb 2007, 15:46

Kim Sung wrote:
RJcccc wrote:He was a versatile man, both good at Chinese traditional drama and shadowboxing. He was stubborn before he died. His last words: “I am not shame for my living, yet my dead will make more value. My body should be sent to XXXX hospital to assist the study on medicine.”
Was his last wish realized?
It seems to be not realized? A website said that his wife received his body after the execution to prepare putting him into a coffin. But I don't have enough trust to that website.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”