Translation Requests

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
User avatar
Viktor27
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: 04 Sep 2021 05:03
Location: Khabarovsk ,Russia

Re: Translation Requests

Post by Viktor27 » 01 May 2023 02:29

Good afternoon.
Need help identifying a division
лоз.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Akira Takizawa
Member
Posts: 3330
Joined: 26 Feb 2006 17:37
Location: Japan

Re: Translation Requests

Post by Akira Takizawa » 01 May 2023 04:33

Viktor27 wrote:
01 May 2023 02:29
Good afternoon.
Need help identifying a division
2nd Infantry Regiment of 14th Division

Taki

User avatar
Viktor27
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: 04 Sep 2021 05:03
Location: Khabarovsk ,Russia

Re: Translation Requests

Post by Viktor27 » 01 May 2023 07:28

Akira Takizawa wrote:
01 May 2023 04:33
Viktor27 wrote:
01 May 2023 02:29
Good afternoon.
Need help identifying a division
2nd Infantry Regiment of 14th Division

Taki
Thanks a lot

cstunts
Member
Posts: 604
Joined: 17 Aug 2006 04:45
Location: USA

Re: Translation Requests

Post by cstunts » 13 May 2023 18:40

If possible, could I get equivalent English-language terms for the following IJN words found in BKS:

jutsu ryoku 術力、
en ren 演練、
sen mu 戦務、
ato zum 後詰め、
ippon shoubu 一本勝負

Many thanks in advance.

User avatar
fontessa
Member
Posts: 4450
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 16:29
Location: Yokohama, Japan

Re: Translation Requests

Post by fontessa » 20 May 2023 03:09

cstunts wrote:
13 May 2023 18:40
If possible, could I get equivalent English-language terms for the following IJN words found in BKS:

jutsu ryoku 術力、
en ren 演練、
sen mu 戦務、
ato zum 後詰め、
ippon shoubu 一本勝負

Many thanks in advance.
jutsu ryoku 術力: Combat ability or work performance ability in each organization.

en ren 演練: Practice actual fighting, and get used to it and become good at it.

sen mu 戦務: Generic term for clerical work that implements strategies and tactics
ADM Yamamoto Isoroku newly established ” 戦務参謀 Staff Officer for Senmu” and “政務参謀 Staff Officer for Political Affairs” in Combined Fleet Headquarters. The Staff Officer for Political Affairs participated in negotiations with other organizations including the Army.

ato zum 後詰め: Usually read “go zume”. Tactically, troops waiting behind the main force. Strategically, reserve.

ippon shoubu 一本勝負: A martial arts match where one point wins the game. Winning is usually determined by the number of points got within a set time.
Cf;
ippatsu shoubu 一発勝負: One-shot game
ippon shoubu 一本勝負 doesn't have the implication of a "One-shot game".

fontessa

cstunts
Member
Posts: 604
Joined: 17 Aug 2006 04:45
Location: USA

Re: Translation Requests

Post by cstunts » 21 May 2023 03:18

Fontessa-san,

Domo arigato gozaimasu!

Extremely useful and interesting. I appreciate your help v. much.

Southeast
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Dec 2022 03:51
Location: Bogor, Indonesia

Re: Translation Requests

Post by Southeast » 25 May 2023 01:27

Hi , im new in here , but i have something that maybe there is someone can help me. Here is the picture ,the location look like in rabaul , i hope the picture are clear to read
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
AshenSocks
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: 07 Nov 2020 14:27
Location: Korea

Re: Translation Requests

Post by AshenSocks » 25 May 2023 10:37

の : of
農園 : farm

.....

User avatar
fontessa
Member
Posts: 4450
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 16:29
Location: Yokohama, Japan

Re: Translation Requests

Post by fontessa » 25 May 2023 11:59

Southeast wrote:
25 May 2023 01:27
Hi , im new in here , but i have something that maybe there is someone can help me. Here is the picture ,the location look like in rabaul , i hope the picture are clear to read
The letters behind can be read as follows.
アンダマン Andaman
のさわ農園 Nosawa Farm

のさわ.jpg

So, it seems that the two men belonged to 12th Special Base Unit which stayed in Andaman Island. Andaman Island suffered a severe famine in the latter half of the war, but this photo does not show that. On the contrary, they look happy. It is the reason why I think the photo was taken in the initial stage of the war. I'm not so sure, but Nosawa may be the name of their commander because IJA and IJN often named various things with the commander's name.

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Southeast
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Dec 2022 03:51
Location: Bogor, Indonesia

Re: Translation Requests

Post by Southeast » 25 May 2023 12:56

fontessa wrote:
25 May 2023 11:59
Southeast wrote:
25 May 2023 01:27
Hi , im new in here , but i have something that maybe there is someone can help me. Here is the picture ,the location look like in rabaul , i hope the picture are clear to read
The letters behind can be read as follows.
アンダマン Andaman
のさわ農園 Nosawa Farm

のさわ.jpg

So, it seems that the two men belonged to 12th Special Base Unit which stayed in Andaman Island. Andaman Island suffered a severe famine in the latter half of the war, but this photo does not show that. On the contrary, they look happy. It is the reason why I think the photo was taken in the initial stage of the war. I'm not so sure, but Nosawa may be the name of their commander because IJA and IJN often named various things with the commander's name.

fontessa
AshenSocks wrote:
25 May 2023 10:37
の : of
農園 : farm

.....
Thank you so much AshenSocks and fontessa!, im really apreciate it!

User avatar
Akira Takizawa
Member
Posts: 3330
Joined: 26 Feb 2006 17:37
Location: Japan

Re: Translation Requests

Post by Akira Takizawa » 25 May 2023 15:26

Nosawa will be Major Nosawa (野沢) of the commander of 251st Independent Infantry Battalion of 35th Independent Mixed Brigade, which was stationed on Andaman Island.

Taki

User avatar
fontessa
Member
Posts: 4450
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 16:29
Location: Yokohama, Japan

Re: Translation Requests

Post by fontessa » 25 May 2023 18:09

Akira Takizawa wrote:
25 May 2023 15:26
Nosawa will be Major Nosawa (野沢) of the commander of 251st Independent Infantry Battalion of 35th Independent Mixed Brigade, which was stationed on Andaman Island.

Taki
Thanks!

fontessa

raedon10
New member
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 Jun 2023 21:17
Location: NE Texas (Arklatex)

Re: Translation Requests

Post by raedon10 » 26 Jun 2023 21:22

Found this photo among my husband's grandfathers things, one of the few with writing on the back. Albert Perrin served in Pacific theater. Would love to have a translation. Thank you RaDonna
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
fontessa
Member
Posts: 4450
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 16:29
Location: Yokohama, Japan

Re: Translation Requests

Post by fontessa » 26 Jun 2023 23:22

raedon10 wrote:
26 Jun 2023 21:22
Found this photo among my husband's grandfathers things, one of the few with writing on the back. Albert Perrin served in Pacific theater. Would love to have a translation. Thank you RaDonna
The Kanji looks like 宮本源太郎 Gentaro Miyamoto.

fontessa

cstunts
Member
Posts: 604
Joined: 17 Aug 2006 04:45
Location: USA

Re: Translation Requests

Post by cstunts » 28 Jul 2023 21:46

Hello,

What is the Japanese term that refers to Guadalcanal as something like 'Starvation Island'? It begins with ga-, I thought.

Many thanks in advance.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”