Japanese soldiers' identification tags

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
hysteric

Re: Japanese soldiers' identification tags

Post by hysteric » 18 Nov 2017, 00:06

BTW, the 1st Field Replacement Headquarters was part of the 41st Army Sugi 杉, which had the same code kanji as the 8th Division 杉, when U.S. troops landed in the Philippines. That at least is some possibly useful information.

hysteric

Dodie

Post by Dodie » 19 Nov 2017, 06:35

Akira Takizawa wrote:Japanese ID tag for private has only soldier number and it is impossible to know the original owner. The tags on the right row are all for privates. The first and second tags on the left row are unreadable. The third one is not Japanese soldiers' ID tag.

On the first tag of the right row, unit name is written as 南兵廠. It will mean 南方軍野戦造兵廠(Southern Army Field Arsenal). But, 南方軍野戦造兵廠 existed at Singapore and had no branch in the Philippines. Probably, this soldier was transferred from 南方軍野戦造兵廠 to the Philippines.

Taki
Thank you very much...
If the bottom left is not a japanese soldiers ID tag, then what is it? Please give me an idea...

Dodie
Dodie

Dodie

Post by Dodie » 19 Nov 2017, 06:40

stulev wrote:2nd row right is from unit 4755 = 8th Division Signal Unit

Thank you for the information...

Dodie
Dodie

Dodie

Post by Dodie » 19 Nov 2017, 06:42

hysteric wrote:BTW, the 1st Field Replacement Headquarters was part of the 41st Army Sugi 杉, which had the same code kanji as the 8th Division 杉, when U.S. troops landed in the Philippines. That at least is some possibly useful information.

hysteric
Thank you very much...
Dodie

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 19 Nov 2017, 07:14

Dodie wrote:If the bottom left is not a japanese soldiers ID tag, then what is it? Please give me an idea...
It is unusual that numbers were written in Arabic numerals. So, I thought that it is not Japanese soldiers ID tag. But, the tag itself is typical one of Japanese soldiers ID tag. So, it will be an exception of Japanese soldiers ID tag.

Taki

Dodie

Post by Dodie » 19 Nov 2017, 07:21

hysteric wrote:For the sake of knowing... maybe a higher resolution photo, in focus and without the green circles would yield more information.

To expand on what Stulev says about the 8th Division Signal Unit, 杉4755 番129 – 8th Division was with the 41st Army on Luzon.
番Ban is the abbreviation for "bango". the soldier’s personal identification number but as Taki says the records for those were destroyed long ago.

Bottom left side: Too degraded to read
Bottom center: Too degraded to read

Bottom right side: speculation / best guess
4623 – 47th Line of Communications Guard Unit – 25th Army in Sumatra
Bango: 92 (soldier’s number)

Edit: It occurs to me that these tags may represent soldiers who became stranded in Manila on their way to their original postings. In around July 1944 the loss of shipping prevented about 10,000 replacement troops from continuing past this point so the 1st Field Replacement Headquarters was created to absorb, retrain and house them.

The tags then might be from a 'specially established' or 'temporary' unit. Not helpful I know but seems a possibility.

hysteric
Thank you...
Regarding the ID tag at the right bottom, may be you are right. Because we found that ID around 30 meters from there barracks. At there barracks we found their tools, utensils and other materials such as wires, scattered communication radio spare parts including vacuum tubes. I believe that the original owner of those Ninshikihyo's live and died at those places.
Do those Ninshikihyo's are no longer important for the Japanese government?

Dodie
Dodie

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 19 Nov 2017, 07:50

If they are helpful to identify the bones of Japanese soldiers, they are important. Did you find the bones of Japanese soldiers with ID tags? If so, contact to Japanese embassy at Manila. If not, Japanese Government is not interested in them.

Taki

hysteric

Post by hysteric » 19 Nov 2017, 08:17

Hello Dodie,.

Thank you for adding a discription of the discovery site. Do you have photographs? It sounds fascinating.

hysteric

Dodie

Post by Dodie » 19 Nov 2017, 16:25

Akira Takizawa wrote:If they are helpful to identify the bones of Japanese soldiers, they are important. Did you find the bones of Japanese soldiers with ID tags? If so, contact to Japanese embassy at Manila. If not, Japanese Government is not interested in them.

Taki
There was none, I mean not exactly. We never found any bones within or just besides those ninshikihyos. We found bones separately but they were scattered and most of it were severely deteriorated. I believe that the corpse of the fallen soldier was never buried that the wild animals and bee's in the jungle scattered them. There are bones that were collected and kept in a safe place but unfortunately they are not complete.
     Even though, we have the ID tags and the bones as well, how then they identify it? Of course through DNA test and It is a long and expensive process. How can they match it? If the bones are not complete do Japanese still interested in it?
      If the japanese government no longer interested in their fallen soldier's ID tag, how about their  relatives? I believe that the soldier's ID tags are the most important of all the mementos. It carries the full identity of the owner itself for being a Japanese military and it serves as the true relics. How then the Japanese government assist the interested individuals in retrieving those Ninshikihyos?
Dodie

Dodie

Post by Dodie » 19 Nov 2017, 16:28

hysteric wrote:Hello Dodie,.

Thank you for adding a discription of the discovery site. Do you have photographs? It sounds fascinating.

hysteric
     You are welcome.
     Yes, I have so many documented photos about it but I can not post it here because I believe they are not related to our topic. But if the board members allows me I will do it so. However, I will PM them to you...
Dodie

hysteric

Post by hysteric » 19 Nov 2017, 17:06

Thank you Dodie, I'd love to see them and welcome your PM.

I imagine it would be ok to post the pictures here as they relate directly to the discovery of these Ninshikihyo and would add something extra. And it's always ok to start another thread about your finds with photographs and commentary. I think you are lucky to have the opportunity to glimpse into the past and appreciate your respectful and thoughtful approach!

hysteric

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 20 Nov 2017, 05:07

>    Even though, we have the ID tags and the bones as well, how then they identify it? Of course through DNA test and It is a long and expensive process. How can they match it? If the bones are not complete do Japanese still interested in it?

Japanese Government is carrying out DNA test. But, it is a long and expensive process, as you said. So, it is important to limit a target. By ID tag, unit can be known. But, as bones were scattered, it is unknown which bone was from which unit.

Even if they cannot be identified, Japanese Government is interested in the bones of Japanese soldiers and collecting them. I recommend to contact to Japanese embassy.

>  If the japanese government no longer interested in their fallen soldier's ID tag, how about their  relatives? I believe that the soldier's ID tags are the most important of all the mementos. It carries the full identity of the owner itself for being a Japanese military and it serves as the true relics. How then the Japanese government assist the interested individuals in retrieving those Ninshikihyos?

As I said, it is impossible to know the original owners of ID tags for privates. So, it is impossible to return them to their family.

Taki

nisei14

Post by nisei14 » 02 Dec 2017, 02:38

Posted a moment ago, and it disappeared. Sorry if two show up.

Tag below - what is it? Yanagita niso - name, rank. What is in circle?
Same writing on other side (in slightly different characters,
but same meaning), and no circle on other side.
53385741606__DB7D4968-024B-4165-B444-6A61EEF56AFD-1.jpeg

Quiet 1

Post by Quiet 1 » 03 Dec 2017, 19:47

I see that this outstanding thread is still active. :D It's been extremely interesting and informative reading through all 8 pages.

I recently acquired this ID tag and thanks to this great thread I've been able to "interpret" it, I believe correctly.

番 (ban) number . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 一 (ichi) one

一 (ichi) one . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 一 (ichi) one

五 (go) five . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 九 (ku) nine

二 (ni) two . . . . . 一 (ichi) one . . . . . . . . 三 (san) three

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .四 (shi) four . . . . . . . 五 (go) five

152 being the soldier’s ID number. 14 is his company number. 11935 is his unit number (in code).

My question; can anyone tell me what unit is represented by code number 11935 ?

I saw an earlier post from Taki-san that number 11933 was the 118th Infantry Regiment, part of the 63rd Independent Infantry Group which was on Saipan so can I assume, at least, that 11935 was an infantry company? If Mr. Takzawa or anyone else can identify unit 11934 I will be very grateful.

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 04 Dec 2017, 02:54

11935 means 136th Infantry Regiment. As well as 118th, it is a part of 43rd Division on Saipan. Note that 63rd Independent Infantry Group did not go to Saipan. It was reorganized to 43rd Division.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/43rd_Divi ... nese_Army)

Taki

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”