Nomonhan/Khalkhin Gol photos

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Peter H

Re: Nomonhan/Khalkhin Gol photos

Post by Peter H » 16 Feb 2012, 03:18

Same source.

More trophies
Attachments
nom45.jpg

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 16 Feb 2012, 03:20

Same source.

Across the steppe
Attachments
nom46.jpg

sjashford

Post by sjashford » 07 Jul 2012, 19:10

If you are interested in this forum, you may be interested in this book:
Nomonhan, 1939: The Red Army's Victory That Shaped World War II [/b](Hardcover)
Stuart D Goldman
Naval Institute Press, Anapolis, Maryland
ISBN 978-1-59114-329-1

Having been brought to the Nomonhan / Khalkin Gol action by Alvin Coox's mammoth work, I was taken aback by the slim size of this tome.
However I noted that the author made no claim to provide a history of the action, but was concerned to place it in its place in history, and that is exactly what he does.
He does provide excellent accounts, not merely of Nomonhan, but also of the preceding incident at Changkufeng (also covered in rather more detail by Coox - Anatomy of a Small War), and indeed snuck in a detail of which I was unaware! and which I intend to ceheck out more thoroughly, as best I can.
As stated the main thrust of the work is to place the events historically, and I feel he succeeds superbly.
He gives a clear depiction as to how Japan became embroiled, hopelessly, I believe, in China, exacerbating their confrontation with Russia (Soviet or otherwise), and of how the Kwantung Army, or more accurately a clique within the operations section, gained an over inflated opinion of their power and authority, completely usurping proper command authority.
Simultaneously he explains Stalin's concerns about possible two front hostilities, and the actions he took to resolve this issue, and the contribution this then made to his attitude to Nomonhan.
I thank Mr.Goldman for his contribution to the literature of the subject, and commend it to any student of the history of World War Two, and particularly to any interested in the War in the Far East.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 11 Jul 2013, 04:27

From ebay,seller chacarroncita
Attachments
kg1.JPG
kg3.JPG

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 11 Jul 2013, 04:28

Same source
Attachments