Aircraft Unit Identification

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Luftflotte2

Re: Aircraft Unit Identification

Post by Luftflotte2 » 25 Aug 2011, 20:05

I also have a Q1W to ID, I can't make the code out so I hope someone else can.
If you haven't already, read this interesting thread on the Q1W
http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=8243.0
windswords wrote:It doesn't have an actual number. Michael's old site just says:

Sape..? - Kokutai
(?- )

Katakana-letter (Sa Pe- )

The tail number he used is the same as the picture you posted.
Mokyme I.D's this as Saeki Kokutai on the above J-aircraft thread.

This is the Army Aviation Cadet School. See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65752618@N ... hotostream

windswords

Post by windswords » 27 Aug 2011, 15:08

Hi Aleks,

Where did you get that color plate of the 49th Sentai Ki-51 tail? I got to ad that to my "collection"

Luftflotte2

Post by Luftflotte2 » 28 Aug 2011, 06:20

Windswords it came in Maru Mechanic No.6, *edit* here is the full image.

I thought it was interesting that these aircraft are painted in a blue, I can't distinguish what the colors of the Ki-36 are, maybe all this sentai's aircraft were blue?
Attachments
Ki-51 49th Sentai.jpg

Luftflotte2

Post by Luftflotte2 » 05 Nov 2011, 21:57

Thanks to summer's blog; http://blog.goo.ne.jp/summer-ochibo/c/6 ... 2e5f29767a

A E1Y3 (Navy Type 14-2 Reconnaissance Seaplane) belonging to the Yokosuka Kaigun Kokutai.
Attachments
E1Y3.jpg

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 22 Nov 2013, 22:53

Sewer King wrote:Thanks, windswords.

So then this EMILY had actually flown with Takao Kokutai, or was it restored to the paint scheme of that unit? Francillon listed the H8K for air groups at Tokuma, Yokohama, and Yokosuka, as well as several numbered units.
  • It was one of six H8Ks nominally flyable after surrender, but unable to make the ocean crossing to the US so had to be carried by ship. Besides agreement that it was WW2's best of its type worldwide, I have long wondered where are all its technical study and drawings, its interior especially, since that's why the Americans took it.

Since there could probably be no covered display for such a large plane, the restored H8K has to stand outside exposed to weather. I suppose it is well-sealed and no one can easily look inside now, although the nose and tail glazing are still transparent.
Is there any distinction for the small symbol atop the "T - 31"?

-- Alan
You should check out (BUY) Maru Mechanic #19, its all about the H8K, many close-up interior pics that you won't find anywhere else. Its a MUST have. It also covers armament (duh!) they were heavily armed: 1x 20mm in the nose, 2x 7.7mm firing out the sides of rear portion of cockpit (1 per side), 2x 7.7mm underside wingroots (1 per side), 2x 20mm in waist blisters (1 per side), 1x 20mm in retractable dorsal turret, 2x 7.7mm further aft of waist blisters (radio room? 1 per side), 1x 7.7mm firing out ventral hatch, and of course the 1x 20mm rear turret.

Luftflotte2

Post by Luftflotte2 » 22 Feb 2014, 03:16

Maru Mechanic has a huge series, which you can find one ebay for some good prices! I love the little technical bits so they are hard to beat.

NewGuineaki43

Post by NewGuineaki43 » 31 May 2017, 22:33

Hi,
I am new to your group and have been attempting to do some research on tail markings of the Ki-43. I am replying to this post from 16 Feb 2011 in which you provided some great information entitled "The Falcons of New Guinea Known Markings of Active type 1 Fighter / Ki-43/ Hayabusa Hikousentai". Most graphics or artistic views of the Ki-43 Hayabusa that I have found so far only have details of the fin and rudder markings, but very little showing any markings on the upper surfaces of the horizontal stabilizers. I can appreciate that most information is gleaned from available photographs showing side views of the aircraft and therefore very little detail that might exist on the upper surfaces of the horizontal tailplane is visible. I have evidence of a Hayabusa Ki-43-11 horizontal stabilizer where the upper surface is painted in a dark grey/green colour except for a diagonal and tapering stripe of bare metal running across it. The lower surface skins of this stabilizer appear to be bare metal and to have not been painted. I understand this right hand side stabilizer was recovered from New Guinea long ago, possibly from Hollandia, but cannot be sure. Can you shed any more light on its background? Was this diagonal band a special marking (maybe of a commander or flight leader) not normally worn on all aircraft from its Sentai? Any help identifying its unit and background would be appreciated.
Attachments
Ki-43 starboard tailplane upper surface.jpg

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 03 May 2022, 20:56

NewGuineaki43 wrote:
31 May 2017, 22:33
Hi,
I am new to your group and have been attempting to do some research on tail markings of the Ki-43. I am replying to this post from 16 Feb 2011 in which you provided some great information entitled "The Falcons of New Guinea Known Markings of Active type 1 Fighter / Ki-43/ Hayabusa Hikousentai". Most graphics or artistic views of the Ki-43 Hayabusa that I have found so far only have details of the fin and rudder markings, but very little showing any markings on the upper surfaces of the horizontal stabilizers. I can appreciate that most information is gleaned from available photographs showing side views of the aircraft and therefore very little detail that might exist on the upper surfaces of the horizontal tailplane is visible. I have evidence of a Hayabusa Ki-43-11 horizontal stabilizer where the upper surface is painted in a dark grey/green colour except for a diagonal and tapering stripe of bare metal running across it. The lower surface skins of this stabilizer appear to be bare metal and to have not been painted. I understand this right hand side stabilizer was recovered from New Guinea long ago, possibly from Hollandia, but cannot be sure. Can you shed any more light on its background? Was this diagonal band a special marking (maybe of a commander or flight leader) not normally worn on all aircraft from its Sentai? Any help identifying its unit and background would be appreciated.
Have you been able to find any further info about this?

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 06 May 2022, 08:05

NewGuineaki43 wrote:
31 May 2017, 22:33
Hi,
Maybe the Oscar of Major Kinshiro Takeda, commander of the First Regiment of Flight. The diagonal line of the main wing would have been the commander aircraft identification line. I haven't seen many diagonal lines on the horizontal stabilizer.

一式戦.jpg
一式戦.jpg (65.57 KiB) Viewed 339 times

fontessa

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”