Most elite Unit or Division of the Imperial Army and Marines

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Dan W.

Most elite Unit or Division of the Imperial Army and Marines

Post by Dan W. » 02 May 2003, 05:31

Would someone have any information on the most elite unit of the Imperial Army or the Imperial Marines?

In regards to the U.S. involvement in the Pacific the 1st Marine Division was probably the spearhead division and arguably the most elite unit of this war in the Pacific.

Does anyone have similar information on a Japanese unit? I have heard various accounts on different units but have never heard any one unit singled out for distinction. I've even heard of a unit of Japanese Marines that fought on a small atoll (might have been Kwajalein) till the unit suffered a fatality rate of almost 99%. (Not sure if that qualifies)

Thanks,
D.W.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 02 May 2003, 10:44

The Japanese Army Regimental size,Nankai Shitai( South Seas Detachment) was an elite,jungle trained 5,000 man amphibious force trained for operations in the Pacific advance.Raised prior to Pearl Harbor,it had seen action in China,then captured Guam and Rabual.It was committed to the Kokoda operations,against the Australians, to capture Port Moresby and destroyed at Buna-Gona in 1943.

Then you had the Japanese Navy SNLFs,with some details below.

http://www.geocities.com/dutcheastindies/SNLF.html

http://www.star-games.com/exhibits/snlf/snlf.html

Among the divisions I would consider the 38th infantry Division as a good unit---it seized Hong Kong,landed in Java,and fought and was destroyed at Guadalcanal.

The notorious 6th Infantry Division,blamed for most of the savagery at Nanking,ended up in the bypassed pocket of New Britain also under constant attack by the Australians until war's end.

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 02 May 2003, 12:34

Thanks much Moulded. :)

Regards,
D.W.

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 16 Aug 2003, 15:12

Generally in Japan, troops from rural area were considered as patient and strong in hardest condition. In fact, 1st division in Tokyo was very proud to be 'the first' and was almost eliminated in Philippine. Kyoto regiment fought in Imphal. I think the difference of personnel quality was very little in drafted region.
Imperial Guard Division consisted of personnels recommended from regiments all over Japan, but it was rumored regiments kept their best men essential for troops, and recommended nice-looking guys. So I am not also sure IGD was the best division.
Permanent divisions, corresponding to German 1st wave infantry divisions, had the best men of the region and the best equipments. PDs were from 1st to 20th (except 13th, 15th, 17th, 18th), and (2nd) imperial guard division.
Marines (Special Naval Land Forces) were basically temporal units, and it is difficult to talk about qualities of indivisual troops. Yokosuka 1st and 3rd SNLF were outstanding because they were paratroopers.
Hisashi NAMIKAWA

Napoli

Post by Napoli » 18 Aug 2003, 10:24

Thanks for that :)

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 18 Aug 2003, 10:58

Dan W. The battle you are thinking about is Tarawa, where 14-17 Japanese surrendered/survived out of about 2600-2700 6th SNLF(Japanese Marines)

Get the book "Utmost Savagery"

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”