Chinese Losses Sino-Japanese War

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
rjl3

Chinese Losses Sino-Japanese War

Post by rjl3 » 23 Mar 2017, 19:24

I have been looking into the various ships scuttled by China as blockships. Right now I am looking at Aug 1937 at Kiangyin. According to multiple sources 23 Chinese merchant ships were scuttled there. I have 20 names so far with builder, etc. I can post the 20 I have for anyone who is interested.
However I have not ben able to identify the last 3. They are:

迥安。 "Hui An"? 1,377 tons.

母佑。 “Wu Yu"? 1,173 tons

华新. "Hwah Hsin." 2,338 tons. I suspect that this ship is possibly renamed from "China Trader" mentioned as scuttled in Yangtsze Aug 1937 and being of 2,353 tons. I have all the other 20 ships so this seems to fit pretty well.

Actually I have another that is not clear:

新平安. "Hsin Ping An" I have one ship of this name built in 1919 at Shanghai of 1,100 tons scuttled at Kiangyin. But I have another of unknown provenance and of 1,524 tons (from China Year Book). Are these one-in-the-same ship?

With the frequency that the Chinese changed ship ownership, names, and tonnage, this has been difficult to resolve. Any help most welcome.

Ralph

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”