Observation Post and AA - New Britain

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
kellyfamille

Observation Post and AA - New Britain

Post by kellyfamille » 16 Apr 2017, 00:25

Dear Forum Members,
I am conducting research on the Japanese occupation along the south coast of the island of New Britain. In this research I've come upon a couple of references which I could get some assistance with.
The first is reference to AA mounted on a barge in Jacquinot Bay. Parts of what may be this barge (two 25mm gun barrels) still remain in the water near the shore. Does anyone have any images or references to such barge mounted weapons in Japanese service?
Second is a reference to an observation party based at a village - I guess a coast watching and early watch post for Allied aircraft on their way to bomb Rabaul - of about IJN 20-30 personnel.
Does anyone have details on other such units - how were they staffed and what equipment they used?
Does anyone have accounts or reports of these units and their operations?
Many thanks for any assistance.
Matthew

T. A. Gardner

Re: Observation Post and AA - New Britain

Post by T. A. Gardner » 16 Apr 2017, 05:33

It would have almost certainly been a Daihatsu type landing barge of one size or another. A typical one is shown:

These came in several sizes and the larger ones could have easily mounted several 25mm AA guns.

kellyfamille

Post by kellyfamille » 16 Apr 2017, 13:19

Thanks for that.
I'm particularly interested in the mounting of the weapon in the barge.
I've not heard of barges with AA mounts in them before in the Pacific.
Cheers again.
Matthew

Hayate

Post by Hayate » 16 Apr 2017, 22:54

Hello,
Allied intelligence reference book shows so-called "Type "A" Navy landing craft" armed with two AA mounts visible both on the drawing and on the photo
Source: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/17 ... ucks-oh-my!-(Beware-56kers-(like-me))-Forums

tom!

Post by tom! » 17 Apr 2017, 10:41

Hi.

This "Type A Navy" is a river gunboat version armed with one or two Type 92 7,7 mm or Type Hi 12 mm MGs. Some 40 Daihatsus were converted this way in 1938/39.

AFAIK there were no official conversions with aa-guns on landing barges. Maybe a local improvisation.

All I found was this:
jap landungsboote luftabwehr mg.jpg
Type 92 woodpecker MG with AA sight on Daihatsu
jap landungsboote luftabwehr mg.jpg (59.48 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
Yours

tom! :wink:

kellyfamille

Post by kellyfamille » 17 Apr 2017, 11:50

Hayate and Tom,
thanks for this information.
I will keep following up the AA mounts.
Most of the RAAF accounts from flights over thebay are inconsistent about the weapons firing on them and their positions, entirely understandable in the circumstances.
As for the INJ 'coastwatchers' I'll keep searching general sources to track down potential unit composition and equipment.
I'm assuming that they were relatively ad-hoc units but we'll see.
Regards
Matthew

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 17 Apr 2017, 23:02

The Japanese did have several radar stations on New Britain during the war. Could these be the "coastwatchers" that you're referencing?

kellyfamille

Post by kellyfamille » 19 Apr 2017, 03:56

Thanks for the suggestion but the evidence suggests it was not a radar station. The unit diary of the Australian 14/32nd Battalion for November 1944 notes a former Japanese OP probably at Manginuna on Cape Cunningham. No radar equipment is noted by the patrol. I've been able to interview some of the locals at Manginuna who tell stories of the Japanese expelling them from their village. Once they had left they were able to move back but it was only apparently into "old shacks". The garrison of the area had been attacked by Australian led guerillas in April 1944 and only consisted of 17 men at that stage so I expect it was quite a small unit of guards radio operators and observers.
Cheers

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”