Were there any Japanese submarines that continued to fight after Japan's surrender in WW2?

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Brian_Ghilliotti

Were there any Japanese submarines that continued to fight after Japan's surrender in WW2?

Post by Brian_Ghilliotti » 17 Jun 2017, 21:31

We have heard of numerous cases of individual Japanese soldiers or small groups of Japanese soldiers continuing to fight on throughout the Pacific Theater after Japan surrendered. My question is if there were also any Japanese submarines that continued to fight after Japan's surrender in WW2?

Brian Ghilliotti

ijnfleetadmiral

Re: Were there any Japanese submarines that continued to fight after Japan's surrender in WW2?

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 18 Jun 2017, 08:41

From I-47's TROM:
15 August 1945:
The Emperor Hirohito (Showa) broadcasts an Imperial Rescript that calls for an end to hostilities.

The crew of I-47 refuses to surrender. They board a kaibokan in Kure harbor and confiscate its food supply, several rifles and machine guns. They intend to proceed to Rabaul to continue fighting, but the plan fails because of the lack of fuel. Eventually, the revolt peters out and the submarine is abandoned by her crew.
From I-401's TROM:
15 August 1945:
The Imperial Palace, Tokyo. Emperor Hirohito (Showa) broadcasts an Imperial Rescript that calls for an end to the hostilities. The news of the surrender is received on I-401, but her senior officers decide to ignore it as lacking credibility.

16 August 1945:
Early in the morning, I-401 heads towards Ulithi to rendezvous with I-400 and to carry out the attack.

18 August 1945:
After sunset, I-401 surfaces again. Captain Ariizumi receives an order from Vice Admiral Daigo to cancel the operation. Later that day, she and I-400 receive an order to return to Kure.

The crew of I-401 is inclined to head for Truk and continue fighting. ComSubDiv 1 suggests that I-401 should return to either Ominato or Nanao where she should be scuttled. I-401 heads toward home waters.
I don't believe any other submarine crews considered fighting on.
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”