IJN Landing Light System

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Brady

IJN Landing Light System

Post by Brady » 18 Nov 2017, 21:36

I read some time ago that The IJN used a landing light system as apposed to the USN "Batman" for recovering aircraft, and this system could be used day or night, in fact apparently their was a shore based version of it a well.

My quest at present is for a picture of the system and the color of the lights and a brief description on how it worked.

Thanks

Eugen Pinak

Re: IJN Landing Light System

Post by Eugen Pinak » 19 Nov 2017, 12:11

Brady wrote: My quest at present is for a picture of the system and the color of the lights and a brief description on how it worked.
Here you can see a good pictures and description, but in Japanese: http://bahia.gozaru.jp/topics/carrierland.html But online-translator can help you.
Though, AFAIK, azure lights were actually green.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 19 Nov 2017, 13:35

Hello Brady,
Brady wrote: I read some time ago that The IJN used a landing light system as apposed to the USN "Batman" for recovering aircraft, and this system could be used day or night, in fact apparently their was a shore based version of it a well.

My quest at present is for a picture of the system and the color of the lights and a brief description on how it worked.
I guess you mean 着艦指導灯 Chakkan Shido To (Landing Leading System). It consisted of 照星灯 Shosei To (Front Sight Lights: Blue Lights) and 照門灯 Shomon To (Rear Sight Lights: Red Lights). The Pilot approaching to the aircraft carrier saw Blue Lights and Red Lights at the same time. He could determine if altitude and course are appropriate by their relative position.

The below shows the system. IJN invented this system.
ChakkanShidoTo.jpg
fontessa

Brady

Post by Brady » 19 Nov 2017, 16:11

Thank You!

The shore based variant, I read that it was used at IJN front line airfields can anyone confirm this ?

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 20 Nov 2017, 04:20

Hello Brady,

In training units 定所着陸訓練 Teisho Chakuriku Kunren (Aircraft carrier landing training) was performed. In this training, instead of Landing Light System, color boards (with lantern in night) were used. Unfortunately I do not know whether operational units were using the system.

fontessa

Brady

Post by Brady » 20 Nov 2017, 05:49

I read a report from a PBY crew that were watching Japanese Aircraft returning from a mission and landing at night. The PBY was unobserved and the report described a Light system similar to this, it was a Land base in the Southwest Pacific area.

Presumably the system whether Sea based Or not would make the recovery of aircraft at night much easier, is it known whether or not This system was a key element in Japanese night doctrine ?

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 21 Nov 2017, 12:00

Hello Brady,

Unfortunately I don't know.

fontessa

robdab

Post by robdab » 13 Dec 2017, 01:16

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”