Japanese reaction to Hitler and Mussolini's deaths?

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
bertamingo

Japanese reaction to Hitler and Mussolini's deaths?

Post by bertamingo » 03 Oct 2018, 03:25

Hi folks, just wonder how the Japanese gov and ordinary people reacted to the deaths of the European dictators?

wm

Re: Japanese reaction to Hitler and Mussolini's deaths?

Post by wm » 15 Oct 2018, 20:34

Robert Guillain (who spent the entire war in Japan) writes in his Le Japon En Guerre that the ordinary Japanese reacted with hate and anger towards the Germans - because of the defeat and because of the dishonorable unconditional surrender. And they were attacked and badmouthed by the Japanese press for lack of fighting spirit.
He adds that the animosity towards the (considered arrogant) Germans living in Japan was visible every day for months before the surrender.

The "cowardly" Italians were subjected to similar, only stronger outburst of emotions.

Pips

Post by Pips » 16 Oct 2018, 00:07

What about the Japanese war Cabinet? What was their view of Germany's defeat? Surely they must have been concerned that forces employed in Europe would be making their way to the East?

bertamingo

Post by bertamingo » 17 Oct 2018, 09:16

wm wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 20:34
Robert Guillain (who spent the entire war in Japan) writes in his Le Japon En Guerre that the ordinary Japanese reacted with hate and anger towards the Germans - because of the defeat and because of the dishonorable unconditional surrender. And they were attacked and badmouthed by the Japanese press for lack of fighting spirit.
He adds that the animosity towards the (considered arrogant) Germans living in Japan was visible every day for months before the surrender.

The "cowardly" Italians were subjected to similar, only stronger outburst of emotions.
That's quite interesting, thanks for the story! As I recall, the Irish PM was the only head of state/gov to offer condolence to AH, which made me wonder what the Japanese reactions were as Japan was the only Axis left, besides the fleeing remnants of NDH. Now it makes sense: the Japanese were angry! :lol:

Gilles de Rais

Post by Gilles de Rais » 17 Oct 2018, 13:18

bertamingo wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 09:16
wm wrote:

That's quite interesting, thanks for the story! As I recall, the Irish PM was the only head of state/gov to offer condolence to AH, which made me wonder what the Japanese reactions were as Japan was the only Axis left, besides the fleeing remnants of NDH. Now it makes sense: the Japanese were angry! :lol:
Besides de Valera's Ireland, Salazar's Portugal declared several days of mourning on hearing about Hitler's death.

bertamingo

Post by bertamingo » 17 Oct 2018, 15:39

Gilles de Rais wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 13:18
bertamingo wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 09:16
wm wrote:

Besides de Valera's Ireland, Salazar's Portugal declared several days of mourning on hearing about Hitler's death.
That's surprising! As I recall Germany had plans made to assault and occupy Portugal in ww2 and the country was also theoretically a British treaty-bound ally which offered Azores bases to the allies. Even pro-Axis Spain began to distance itself from Axis in late -1943, so this stance of Portugal is really confusing!

Truckman

Post by Truckman » 17 Oct 2018, 16:42

bertamingo wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 15:39
Even pro-Axis Spain began to distance itself from Axis in late -1943, so this stance of Portugal is really confusing!
My guess is that a supposedly neutral and comparatively weak nation was just hedging its bets on the final outcome...Insincere condolences are an established diplomatic tactic... :roll: ...Ben

wm

Post by wm » 17 Oct 2018, 20:38

Pips wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 00:07
What about the Japanese war Cabinet? What was their view of Germany's defeat? Surely they must have been concerned that forces employed in Europe would be making their way to the East?
They knew what was going to happen and the population was informed accurately (this is why the animosity was visible for months before the end) so it wasn't a surprise to them.
As the battle plan was to inflict such losses on the invading armies it would cause a breakdown of American civilian population morale I suppose they didn't care much about the additional forces.

btw I think it was two days of flying the flag at half-staff - the usual courtesy in such cases, I'm sure they did that when Stalin died too.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 17 Oct 2018, 21:08

I'll poke through Togo Shigenori's "The Cause of Japan", he might have commented on this.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

bertamingo

Post by bertamingo » 19 Oct 2018, 01:47

Truckman wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 16:42
bertamingo wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 15:39
Even pro-Axis Spain began to distance itself from Axis in late -1943, so this stance of Portugal is really confusing!
My guess is that a supposedly neutral and comparatively weak nation was just hedging its bets on the final outcome...Insincere condolences are an established diplomatic tactic... :roll: ...Ben
It's a possible explanation
:D at the last sentence!

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 03 Nov 2018, 08:44

With regard to Italy, the death of Mussolini was relatively unimportant. The significant event was the July 1943 collapse of the Fascist regime which signaled Italy's end for all practical purposes as a belligerent. The death of Hitler is wrapped up in the German surrender in May 1945. And there are really three questions here. What did the average Japanese person think? What did the Japanese government tell the public? And finally, what did the Japanese leaders think privately? It might be interesting to see what Kouichi Kido wrote in his diaries about these issues.
γνώθι σαυτόν

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”