IJA Command of Rabaul POW Camp 1943 to 1945

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
robinamcleam

IJA Command of Rabaul POW Camp 1943 to 1945

Post by robinamcleam » 11 Oct 2018, 14:21

Help Request, this is my first post and I am asking for any help in obtaining information on the following...

1. I understand from an Aust vet's son, that a Major Tsunio Hayashi was the Commandant of Rabaul POW camp from 1943 to 1945. Also, that Major was convicted of war crimes (possibly against civilians) and hung at Rabaul sometime between 1945 and 1947. However the quandry is that I can find no record of this soldier anywhere jncluding the War Crimes lists. I wonder if anyone else may of heard of him or know who was in command of the POW Camp in Rabaul in the fjnal years. It appears there was more than one camp i.e Kempai Tai in Rabaul town and at least one Tunnel Camp ???

2. Lastly, I understand that immediately prior to Major Hayashi's sentence being carried out, he asked to present a sword (presumably his own) to the Aust Capt Judge Advocate who was a member of the panel at that time. It was accepted. The only thing is that the sword, which I now own, has a surrender tag with the name of Sergeant Major Tsuchida and his number Corps No 11212 that is, not Hayashi. I cant find anything on a Sergeant Major or Warrant Officer Tsuchida either.

Sorry for lengthy post but this forum's members seem to have a great deal of info and anything on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Rob

hysteric

Re: IJA Command of Rabaul POW Camp 1943 to 1945

Post by hysteric » 12 Oct 2018, 16:40

Hello Bob,

It may be there is little surviving information on Sgt. Maj. Tsuchida but the number on the surrender tag is for: 剛11212, the 8th Fixed Signal Unit, 8th Area Army

If it helps the 8th Area Army's Kempeitai were: 剛1922, the 6th Field Military Police Unit

hysteric

robinamcleam

Re: IJA Command of Rabaul POW Camp 1943 to 1945

Post by robinamcleam » 12 Oct 2018, 21:21

Many thanks hysteric, I had snippets of that info but you have provided a number of additional factual leads which hopefully, will assist my current research.

Regards
Rob

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”