Japanese human anti tank mines

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
daveh

Japanese human anti tank mines

Post by daveh » 03 Jun 2003, 16:12

I have read that during the war in Burma cases occurred where a japanese soldier sat in his fox hole with an aircraft bomb or artillery shell. This he was supposed to detonate the bomb/shell when an allied tank approached.

Was this ever successful?
Was this idea ever used on Pacific islands?
Were the Japanese so ill equipped with AT weapons that this was seen as a viable option? or was it an improvisation under a particular set of circumstances?

Brig

Post by Brig » 04 Jun 2003, 13:04

ah, so the Iraqis were just copycat crimes...

why? Despite the overpopulation, I doubt it was population control. Probably lacked weapons strong enough to penetrate, so they'd detonate under the tank to destroy any soft underbelley or at least throw a tread. Kind of a big sacrifice for a tread, though

Larso

Post by Larso » 23 Jun 2003, 09:39

I've read in 'Jungle Warfare' by J P Cross that in Burma when this tactic was used, an officer just walked in front of the tanks and shot them. Obviously covering fire was not provided as a rule!! On ocassions in Australian advances in Borneo, the same approach was taken, though it seems there the tactic was usually part of a larger ambush. Generally it must have failed because a great big hole in the road is easily spotted. In fact if ever I'd ever been so blind as to drive my old M113 over one, my crew commander would've killed me if the 'mine' didn't.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”