Japanese capitulation at Peleliu in 21-22 April 1947

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
jabu

Japanese capitulation at Peleliu in 21-22 April 1947

Post by jabu » 29 Oct 2018, 21:10

Hi all,

In March 1947 Japanese unit commanded by lieutenant Ei Yamaguchi attacking a US patrol with hand grenades. As a result, the Americans have brought reinforcement from Guam to the Peleliu island with a Japanese admiral sent to convince the troops that the war was indeed over finally convinced Japanese soldiers to come out peacefully. This soldiers emerged from caves in two groups in 21 and 22 April 1947 (these soldiers were probably from 2nd Inf. Regiment, 14th Inf. Division [26 soldiers] and from 45th Guard Force [8 sailors]) and surrender in front of the Americans. Other reports indicate that there were a total of 26 capitulators (including 8 from Navy). The following day (22 April) remaining next 6 or 7 surrendered. I think it was probably the last official surrender of WWII.

I have three questions and I will be very grateful for help:

1. Is it known from what unit was the US patrol attacked in March 1947 by Yamaguchi's group?

2. We know what US unit adopted the Japanese capitulation on April 21 1947? I read that it was probably 80 Marines, but from what unit?

3. Does anyone know the name of the Japanese admiral who was sent to Peleliu and who persuaded his countrymen to surrender? Maybe it is Rear Adm. Michio Sumikawa?

I will be obliged for help.

Regards,
jabu

Wellgunde

Re: Japanese capitulation at Peleliu in 21-22 April 1947

Post by Wellgunde » 02 Nov 2018, 06:14

1. This is a guess but probably Palau Detachment, Marine Barracks Guam.
2. Also, a guess, reinforcements from Marine Barracks Guam. The Japanese surrender was accepted by U.S. Navy Captain L. D. Fox, Commandant of Palau.
3. According to contemporary U.S. newspaper accounts the retired admiral was indeed Sumikawa Michio.
γνώθι σαυτόν

jabu

Post by jabu » 09 Nov 2018, 18:23

Dear Wellgunde,
thanks for your answer and help.

However, some facts still bother me.
I know OOB Palau Detachment, Marine Barracks Guam:
Marine Barracks, Peleliu (Reinforced) (FPO SF 3233) in Apr 47:
Detachment, Marine Barracks, US Navy Base, Pearl Harbor, Oahu, TH (FPO SF 128)
Detachment, Marine Barracks, Guam (FPO SF 926)
Interrupters
However, I still could not (unfortunately) determine how many people were counting this garrison at that time.

In the monumental book of Gordon Rottman “US Marine Corps World Wat II Order of Battle”
there is a fragment about this incident:

"Peleliu (The Final Surrender of World War II [1]) (Operation CAPITULATION) 17-22 Apr 47
In early Mar 47, intelligence indicated that a small band of Japanese holdouts on northern Peleliu was planning to attack US Naval Base, Peleliu installations, which included dependent housing. Marine Garrison Forces, Pacific ordered Marine Barracks, Peleliu to be reinforced on 17 Mar by Marine Barracks, Guam (41 men) and Pearl Harbor (21 men). A force of 120 Marines located the stragglers and convinced 27 soldiers of the 2d Infantry Regiment and eight 45th Guard Force sailors to surrender on 21-22 Apr 47.
[1] Presidential proclamation on 31 Dec 46 had declared hostilities terminated."

No mention about an attack with use hand grenades. Only mentions about information from the intelligence.
It is possible that the attack on the Marines patrol - interpreted (overgrown) as a preparation for the attack on the base. Possibly - after a patrol fight - the Americans fled a single holdout, surrendered and informed about the plans of the rest of the Japanese group.
Of course, that's just my guess.

Unfortunately, I can not determine when exactly in March (which day) 1947 - this Marines patrol was attacked and what losses he suffered Americans as a result of this skirmish? I do not know also how many US soldiers were by this attacked patrol?

For example: On Guam, on 10 Dec 45, Japanese holdouts ambushed a Island Command, Guam patrol killing three men. As a result, the 3d Battalion, 3d Marines; elements of the 9th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, and Guamanian Police conducted a five-day operation northeast of Mt. Tenjo resulting in six Japanese dead and almost 20 prisoners.

Regards,
jabu

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 21 Nov 2018, 09:21

Every command in the U.S. Navy (both afloat and ashore) submits an annual historical summary. I would expect that you would find information about the attack and surrender in the 1947 report of the Palau garrison. I also suspect that the Marine Barracks Guam filed one or more incident reports regarding the attack(s) and subsequent events. I suggest you send emails to the Modern Military Section of the U.S. National Archives and Record Service and to the Marine Corps History Division requesting assistance in finding the relevant documents. You can find the email addresses by searching the respective websites.
γνώθι σαυτόν

jabu

Post by jabu » 21 Nov 2018, 13:17

Dear Wellgunde,

It's a good idea. So I will. Thank you for the suggestion.

Regards,
jabu

whitesharkseeker

Post by whitesharkseeker » 06 Dec 2018, 03:22

I visited Peleliu with former Lt Ei Yamaguchi and former Superior Seaman Kiyokazu Tsuchida in 1994 and 2004. on another trip, in 1996, I had the privilege and honor to accompany former Sgt Ed Sturgeon back to Peleliu. Ed was one of the 80 Marines assigned to the island hunting down Yamaguchi's renegades in 1947 and was in charge of the Marines under Fox. The Japanese never attacked the Marines and were more concerned with hiding out than fighting or harassing the Island Command. I have all their recollections, interviews, unit diaries, etc. Yamaguchi's unit was wiped out in the initial battle near White Beach. The Marines were flown in from Guam.

jabu

Post by jabu » 06 Dec 2018, 19:50

Dear whitesharkseeker,

Thank you for your interest in the subject and answer.

>The Japanese never attacked the Marines and were more concerned with hiding out than fighting or harassing the Island Command.
This information always seemed a bit strange to me.
You wrote interesting things. If it is not a problem - I will write to you on private message.

Regards,
jabu

whitesharkseeker

Post by whitesharkseeker » 08 Dec 2018, 07:35

You can write PM me at [email protected] Japanes admiral flown in was Rear Admiral Sumikawa. Just found a 1947 article that answers all your questions. Have a huge file regarding Yamaguchi and his holdouts.

Cheers, Eric

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”