Akatsuki,Fubuki,Furutaka and the Takanami

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
IANHULKMCLEOD

Akatsuki,Fubuki,Furutaka and the Takanami

Post by IANHULKMCLEOD » 23 Dec 2018, 22:38

Hi Fontessa
Come across Listing from Featherstone listing Prisoners of war from these ships all say they were from the Shirakumo and Furutaka no mention of the Fubuki! and most gave false names as well :roll:
My questions to you what are the official losses for these Ships were and do they list Officers and Ratings Killed, Wounded or missing? and if prisoners of war?
far as I know Shirakumo wasn`t either damaged or sunk and regarding Furutaka 2 of her senior officers were sent to the USA! I know of Matsui the Damage control officer/Operations officer and the other?
Any help would be appreciated I can send you the list which is on Excel( currently working on) and have PDF for the Aoba as well send me a PM if you wish.
Kind regards Ian

ijnfleetadmiral

Re: Akatsuki,Fubuki,Furutaka and the Takanami

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 24 Dec 2018, 03:10

FUBUKI - 109 survivors; SHIRAKUMO wasn't sunk until 1944.

AKATSUKI - 18 survivors

TAKANAMI - 19 survivors later captured by Americans; 48 survivors total.

FURUTAKA - 33 KIA; 514 survivors rescued by HATSUYUKI, MURAKUMO, and SHIRAYUKI; 110 listed as MIA, but 115 taken prisoner by U.S. forces.
As to whom the other senior officer is, I think it was Paymaster LT (Sup.) TATENO Yoshio; I have subsequent assignments for all of FURUTAKA's senior officers but him, so to me he's a good candidate.
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”