Did the Japanese use in action british guns captured in Singapur

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
valentine III

Did the Japanese use in action british guns captured in Singapur

Post by valentine III » 10 Apr 2019, 21:17

Well, that is the question.

The Japanese captured many military materiel in Singapur. In Particular I'm interested on the use they did to the British 25 pdr guns and the 2 pdr Antitank guns they captured in some quantities and usable.

I've read a report that tells they considered both guns quite good ordnance and had plans to send them to Japan and most probably afterwards send them to the "russian front" to bolster anti tank defences there.

Does anybody know what happened to those guns and if in the end they were used aganist the russians or in other areas?

Many thanks.

I guess other guns, mainly AA pieces were retained in Singapur and Java areas for anti aircraft work. They captured many Bofors 40 mm AA guns...they would had been best served if they had just copied it and produce it...

Akira Takizawa

Re: Did the Japanese use in action british guns captured in Singapur

Post by Akira Takizawa » 11 Apr 2019, 02:19

> Does anybody know what happened to those guns and if in the end they were used aganist the russians or in other areas?

They were not used against Russian. They were used in Burma or Java by native forces like INA or PETA.

> I guess other guns, mainly AA pieces were retained in Singapur and Java areas for anti aircraft work.

Yes, they were used by PETA, INA and Burma Army. The interesting example is that it was used by Indian volunteers on Guadalcanal.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=174511&p=1551606&h ... s#p1551606

> They captured many Bofors 40 mm AA guns...they would had been best served if they had just copied it and produce it...

Bofors 40 mm AA gun was copied by the Japanese. It it Type 5 40mm AA gun. But, Japan failed it and only two copies in Army and 35 copies in Navy were completed until the war ended.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BA%94 ... 2%E7%A0%B2

Taki

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”