German Advisers with the Japanese?

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
nickbsmith8

German Advisers with the Japanese?

Post by nickbsmith8 » 14 Apr 2019 01:59

While reading about the 1941 Invasion of the Philippines, I came across this intriguing, though un-sited description:

"The 7th Tank Regiment was one of the four Japanese tank regiments with a German Panzerkorps observer with it, in this case Colonel Joachim Mittel. He observed the battle at first hand, fighting himself with small arms and satchel charges. This behaviour earned him the respect of the Japanese, and his report was instrumental to their tactical and technical development."

I have been unable to find any other information on this Colonel Mittel, or other German panzercorps officers with the Japanese. Is anyone aware of any primary source material relating to this topic?
Thanks!
Nick

Akira Takizawa

Re: German Advisers with the Japanese?

Post by Akira Takizawa » 16 Apr 2019 04:36

I have never read about such a German observer in Japanese sources. I believe that it is a wrong information in the West.

Taki

BobTheBarbarian

Post by BobTheBarbarian » 16 Apr 2019 05:25

OP, the origin of the claim is this guy's post in a forum in 2011: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/francef ... KOzaHvm4qM.

It appears to be an "alternate history" group and does not come with a citation. My theory is that since it is an alternate history forum and the thread title is "A point of departure" (that is, a departure from the path history actually followed), "Colonel Mittel" is a fictional character invented by this user for use in his fantasy world. The person who wrote the article you found must have inadvertently stumbled upon this post and mistook it for actual history.

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 18 Apr 2019 23:47

I never heard such a thing as German advisers going with Japanese units into battle against the Allies. I think it is nonsense too. By the way,there were no German army units fighting in the Pacific.

Edward L. Hsiao

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 29 Apr 2019 04:35

This may sound nonsense but were there any instances of German Naval or Army Advisers helping with the Imperial Japanese Naval Coastal Security Force during WWII? This question suddenly had popped into my head and needed in be mentioned.

Edward L. Hsiao

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 29 Apr 2019 04:57

> This may sound nonsense but were there any instances of German Naval or Army Advisers helping with the Imperial Japanese Naval Coastal Security Force during WWII?

No. As for German advisors during WWII, only two examples are known. They were technical advisors about hollow charge and radar.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%BF%E5%BC%BE
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A6 ... B%E4%B8%8E

Taki

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 20 May 2019 20:38

I know that the German special force ops called the Brandenburgers were deployed pretty much all over the world including Asia during the WWII. There were unconfirmed reports of Germans that went with the Imperial Japanese Army on the invasion of Malaysia and Singapore in 1942. The Germans may have been Brandenburgers.

Edward L. Hsiao

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”