Assistance Reading "Hikokitaisentou Koudouchousho."

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
ketoujin23

Assistance Reading "Hikokitaisentou Koudouchousho."

Post by ketoujin23 » 17 Apr 2019 02:01

Hello,

I am looking at "Hikoki-tai Sentou Koudouchousho" or "Air Unit Combat After-Action Reports" from the Fifth Kokutai/452nd Kokutai based, at least for close to a year, on Kiska in the Aleutian Chain. I can read enough Japanese to make sense of them but I would like help with some of the row/column abbreviations. Perhaps there are posters here who have done research with Koudouchousho and wouldn't mind answering some questions of mine. First of all under "Sanka Kishu Kisu" or "Participating Plane Type Plane Number" there are a number of lower-case semi-serrifed Latin "f's" some with smaller numbers after them. Do these refer to the location of squadron leaders/wingmen during each mission? In some I have noticed that the CO fills out the total number of aircraft of the mission only and there are no numbers in the boxes under "fsc," "fd," "fsr," etc. What does this indicate?

The rest, aircrew involved, dates, names, day, time, weather, types of targets engaged, fuel expenditure, weapons and ammunition expenditure, I understand but the parts indicated are confusing to me.

On the box under "Koudou Keika" which I take to mean "Course of [the mission's] Action" there is a notation "ikkai, nikkai, san-kai," etc, after "fs1," "fsr," et al. Are these in reference to certain members of each flight doing certain actions, flying certain courses, or attempting landings, a number of times? I note that the figures to the left of this box refer to military time and is the chronology of the mission.

Thanks for your help.

Here is a single example I am studying right now: https://www.jacar.archives.go.jp/aj/met ... TAG_S1=InD&

Best,

Gunnar

fontessa

Re: Assistance Reading "Hikokitaisentou Koudouchousho."

Post by fontessa » 17 Apr 2019 04:33

Hello ketoujin23,
ketoujin23 wrote: "fsc," "fd," "fsr," etc. What does this indicate?
These were abbreviations that indicated the plane type.
fc: Career Based Fighter, Land Based Fighter, Night Fighter
fb: Career Based Bomber, Land Based Bomber
fk: Career Based Attacker
fo: Land Based Attacker
flo: Land Based Heavy Attacker
fsc: Floated Fighter
fsr: Floated Reconnaissance Plane
fd: Flying Boat
ketoujin23 wrote: "ikkai, nikkai, san-kai," etc
1st sortie, 2nd sortie, 3rd sortie

fontessa

ketoujin23