Questions about pictures of Japanese officers.

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
marek O.

Re: Questions about pictures of Japanese officers.

Post by marek O. » 16 Jul 2019, 22:40

Hello,

It's me again. This time with a picture made in a Museum in a former Underground HQ of Okinawa SBF [not by me], and a request for help in recognizing 3 of them. From this 4 officers I recognized just one - cpt. Maekawa - first from right - cos of Okinawa SBF. He was just the only officer, apart from rearadm. Ota, that I knew about from the personel of SBF. Next two are SBF staff officers, I think. One of them is lt. cmdr. Yamada. First from left is a mystery. Because in caption under his photo there are numbers 21. I don't have neither any "21st" unit in my Okinawa Naval OOB, nor cmdr. Suzuki, if I decipher his name correctly. Thanks in advance for Your help.

Regards,
Marek
Attachments
1945年6月13日、海軍司令部壕で大田司令官とともに自決した人々。oficerowie ijn okinawa ; 4. kpt. maekawa, cos Okinawa SSBM.jpg

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 17 Jul 2019, 02:30

Cmdr. Suzuki was dispatched from 21st Naval Air Arsenal in Nagasaki Pref.

Taki

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 18 Jul 2019, 15:16

Hello,

Thanks Taki, for the clarification about cmdr. Suzuki.
I have 3 requests:
1st. I tried to translate kanji signs from officers names. Please grade my tries:
From the left: cmdr. Suzuki Katsuto
lt. cmdr. Yamada Hirokuni, and what was his exact function?
cpt. Tanamachi .... [his first name is too hard].
2nd. Is this mjr. gen. Amaya Naojiro, co 10th Brigade from 11st Infantry Division on the picture 2? Is in the signs around the picture any confirmation of my suspition?
3rd. Can You read who the officers on pic 1 are? They are probably from Attu Garrison.

Regards,
Marek
Attachments
oficerowie z attu.jpg
polegli zolnierze 4 dca 10brygpiech chyba gen. anda.jpg
polegli zolnierze 4 dca 10brygpiech chyba gen. anda.jpg (72.76 KiB) Viewed 1031 times

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 18 Jul 2019, 16:30

> lt. cmdr. Yamada Hirokuni, and what was his exact function?

He was a staff of Okinawa Base Force.

> cpt. Tanamachi .... [his first name is too hard].

It is read Hitoshi.

> 2nd. Is this mjr. gen. Amaya Naojiro, co 10th Brigade from 11st Infantry Division on the picture 2?

No, he is Lt. Gen. Sobu Yamamuro, the commander of 11th Division.

> 3rd. Can You read who the officers on pic 1 are? They are probably from Attu Garrison.

They are all on Col. Yamasaki of Attu.

Taki

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 21 Jul 2019, 12:50

Thank You Taki,

For Your very important infos.
Sorry for the delay.

Regards,
Marek

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 01 Aug 2019, 22:56

Hello gentlemen,

I have few next pics. I would like to ask for Your help. On pic 1 and 2 it looks like it's the same person - co of 3rd Baon of 2nd Amphibious Brigade? Am I right? On next 2 plates, pictures are getting smaller and Kanji signs even more. Who are the men? It seems that one of them, on plate 3, is a co of 2nd Platoon of 2nd Company? Next two have something to do with 1st Company? Can You recognize names of them all?
On pic 5, there is a very famous person - Mifune Toshiro [Toshio], in pilot gear. Caption under the photo was this -
陸軍第8航空教育隊当時. I knew that he was in military service at the end of the war. Probably in Manchuria. But nothing more. So maybe someone of You knows more. Was he an officer, non-comissioned officer, or just starting in the ranks of Imperial Army? My translater went crazy when I tried to translate kanji symbols into Polish. I myself recognized few symbols for: "unit", "air", "training". I'm hoping for Your help.

Regards,
Marek
Attachments
2bdes, 3.jpg
2bdes, 2.jpg
2bdes 12.jpg
2bdes 11.jpg
toshiro mifune, 陸軍第8航空教育隊当時.jpg

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 01 Aug 2019, 23:01

Hello,

It's an addendum to my last posting. The last 2 pictures I had to send separately. My request is to recognize the men. Who are they? Did they have anything to do with 2nd Amphibious Brigade. I'm risking that they did. Here they are:
Regards,
Marek
Attachments
2bdes, 7.jpg
2bdes, 6.jpg

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 02 Aug 2019, 02:35

> I have few next pics. I would like to ask for Your help. On pic 1 and 2 it looks like it's the same person - co of 3rd Baon of 2nd Amphibious Brigade? Am I right?

They are commnader of 3rd Battalion of 2nd Amphibious Brigade, but not the same person. The pic 1 is Col. Yukichi Kanaizuka. The pic 2 is the next commander Ozaki.

> On next 2 plates, pictures are getting smaller and Kanji signs even more. Who are the men? It seems that one of them, on plate 3, is a co of 2nd Platoon of 2nd Company?

He is the commander of 2nd Company. His name will be read Kikata, but not for sure.

> Next two have something to do with 1st Company?

The right one is the commander of 1st Company. He is Captain Sotokichi 中佐. 中佐 will be read Nakasa, but not for sure. The left one is WO Kazumi Ueno.

> 陸軍第8航空教育隊当時.

It means "When he was in IJAA 8th Training Unit".

> I knew that he was in military service at the end of the war. Probably in Manchuria.

Yes, but above photo is not in Manchuria. IJAA 8th Training Unit was in Japan.

> Was he an officer, non-comissioned officer, or just starting in the ranks of Imperial Army?

He was Sup. Pvt.

Taki

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 02 Aug 2019, 03:20

> It's an addendum to my last posting. The last 2 pictures I had to send separately. My request is to recognize the men. Who are they?

The first photo is Lt. Col. Junichiro Sekine, the commander of transport unit of 2nd Amphibious Brigade. The second photo is Major Gen. Chuichiro Ando, the commander of 9th Independent Garrison. The caption says that Kikata unit(the 2nd Company) was assigned to him in 1943. Probably, it is an event in Manchuria before 2nd Amphibious Brigade was formed.

Taki

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 03 Aug 2019, 08:31

Dear Taki,

Thank You very, very much. It turned out that I've missed one picture from the same source. It's the last one. I swear.

Regards,
Marek
Attachments
2bdes, 5.jpg

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 03 Aug 2019, 09:06

He is Corporal Akio Kitamura (his former name is Uemura).

Taki

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 04 Aug 2019, 23:43

Thank You Taki,

Regards,
Marek

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”