IJA cadet officer training (help with uniform/photo)

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
SBConnor

IJA cadet officer training (help with uniform/photo)

Post by SBConnor » 26 Aug 2019, 16:25

Help and clarification would be appreciated on the following (photo attached)
IJA Axis Q1 cadet.jpg
IJA Axis Q1 cadet.jpg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
IJA Axis Q1 cadet.jpg
IJA Axis Q1 cadet.jpg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
:

1. Do the collar and shoulder insignia in the photo clarify whether the young soldier is a Japanese army cadet officer (after two years on the junior officer programme) or a ‘probationary officer’ (if there is a difference) after completing the second 18 months’ of the officer-training programme?
2. Was there a set date each year when cadets would enter officer training schools? I am not referring to the prestigious Rikugun Shikan Gakko for staff-officer training but the other academies (colleges?) established for regimental (non-staff-track) officers. I am assuming this trainee officer was 18 when he entered military school (straight from high school), so he is either 20 or 22 in this shot depending on the answer to Q1 and Q3.
3. Did these other colleges also follow a two-year junior programme followed by eight months with an infantry regiment? According to histclo[dot]com staff-track officers would return to college for a further 20 months then return to a regiment as apprentice officers (with rank of sergeant-major) for four months before graduation as second lieutenants. In the photo, however, the ‘cadet’ looks to be wearing sergeant’s shoulder bars (two stars not three).
4. Later, as a lieutenant, this man went to the陸軍歩兵学校(Army Infantry School?) on detachment (Feb 20 to March 31, 1939). Any chance the records of students still exist? I know his surname but not his given name.

I’d like to have a better idea as to whether this soldier is 20 years old or 22 and confirm the shoulder bars. I have not seen the term 'probationary officer' in any Japanese terminology, only 'cadet officer'.

I have this officer’s photo album (mentioned in my old posts), lots of unusual military related shots (he was a talented amateur photographer!) He transferred from 15IR to 50IR as 2Lt. This is a pet project nearing completion, photos have been digitally restored, lots of annotations (being translated), many locations confirmed, and some interesting and candid shots of training, manoeuvres, winter training, relaxation with comrades (and women) and some fascinating (non-combat) shots taken in China. It must have been very unusual for an IJA officer to be a keen photographer.

ijnfleetadmiral

Re: IJA cadet officer training (help with uniform/photo)

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 26 Aug 2019, 17:44

To my knowledge, Cadets didn't wear insignia like that. That '15' might mean he belongs to the 15th Division. The shoulder insignia states he's a SGT, if that helps any.
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 27 Aug 2019, 03:27

1. Your information is not correct. IJA officers were trained as below.

IJA Academy(primary course) - 2 years, no rank
Training attached to unit - 6 months, Sup. Pvt or Corporal
IJA Academy(main course) - 22 months, Sergeant
Cadet - 3 months, Sergeant Major

His rank on the photo is Sergeant. So, it was when he was in the main course of IJA Academy.

2. Men from 16 to 25 years old entered IJA Academy.

P.S.
"15" on collar means 15th Infantry Regiment.

Taki
Last edited by Akira Takizawa on 27 Aug 2019, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 27 Aug 2019, 03:36

Thanks for the info!
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

SBConnor

Post by SBConnor » 28 Aug 2019, 21:54

Taki,
Your information is greatly appreciated—yet again.

Yes he was 15th IR in the photo. He moved to 50th IR later. Does the single star on the collar identify 'trainee' or 'probationary officer'?

Also, does this mean he was at the Rikugan Shikan Gakko? Did all trainee officers go there, or is it equally possible he went to a different officer academy for non-staff track officers? (I recall reading in Drea, 'In the Service of the Emperor', that there were other academies. Have I got this wrong?)

Thanks
Steve

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 29 Aug 2019, 04:02

> Does the single star on the collar identify 'trainee' or 'probationary officer'?

It has a base under star. It means 幹部候補生(cadet of reserve officer).

> Also, does this mean he was at the Rikugan Shikan Gakko? Did all trainee officers go there, or is it equally possible he went to a different officer academy for non-staff track officers? (I recall reading in Drea, 'In the Service of the Emperor', that there were other academies. Have I got this wrong?)

Reserve officers were not trained at Rikugan Shikan Gakko. There was 陸軍予備士官学校(IJA Reserve Academy) for reserve officer. But, it was established in 1938. His uniform is before 1938. Before 1938, reserve officers were trained at unit.

Taki

SBConnor

Post by SBConnor » 31 Aug 2019, 15:02

Taki, that's great! Thank you.
The fact that he was in the reserve might reconcile a few questions over dates given for some of the photos in his album. (It might explain why he was still in Matsumoto in mid-1938 twhen the rest of 50IR was in the battle of Lanfeng.

Much appreciated
Steve

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”