how many Kampon water-tube boilers were on the shinano?

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
aurelien wolff

how many Kampon water-tube boilers were on the shinano?

Post by aurelien wolff » 05 Sep 2019, 13:27

I want to know because I got a source that state only 8 were actually onboard the ship because 4 couldn't be delivered because of the delay and wikipedia claim 12,wich one is correct?

fontessa

Re: how many Kampon water-tube boilers were on the shinano?

Post by fontessa » 05 Sep 2019, 15:30

Hello aurelien wolff,
aurelien wolff wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 13:27
I got a source that state only 8 were actually on board the ship because 4 couldn't be delivered because of the delay and wikipedia claim 12,which one is correct?
The original design had 12 boilers. According to "空母信濃の生涯" Shinano’s Life written by 豊田穣 Toyoda Jo, only 8 boilers were active and maximamu speed was remitted to 20 - 21 Knots. And According to "牧野茂艦船ノート" Makino Shigeru Worship Note written by 牧野茂 Makino Shigeru, 9 boilers had been integrated when the modification to an airclaft carrier was desided.
豊田穣: Ex IJN Officer (Carrier Bomber Pilot)
牧野茂: EX IJN Officer (Technical, Spesialty was Ship Building)

Because SHINANO had 4 engines and 4 screws, I guess 8 boilers were active for smooth power transmission.
The below is original layout of 4 engines and 12 boilers.

Shinan.jpg
Shinan.jpg (91.53 KiB) Viewed 3978 times

fontessa

aurelien wolff

Post by aurelien wolff » 05 Sep 2019, 17:44

what do you mean by "active"? (I'm french,sorry for my misunderstanding) were all the boilers here or not?

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 05 Sep 2019, 20:13

Hello aurelien wolff,
aurelien wolff wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 17:44
what do you mean by "active"?
I meant "operating".
aurelien wolff wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 17:44
were all the boilers here or not?
Unfortunately, there is no material left to show how the remaining four boilers were.

fontessa

aurelien wolff

Post by aurelien wolff » 05 Sep 2019, 20:27

thanks so for the remaning boler you could they were either not there because of delay of the constructor or they didn't use it (it seem to depend from the source use by the autor)

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 06 Sep 2019, 10:06

Blueprints for the Yamato class are scarce. Plans for Shinano are practically nonexistent, unfortunately. If any still exist, they're locked down in the JMSDF Archives and may never see the light of day; the Japanese government still wishes to keep her a secret even to this day, to the point of refusing permission to search for her wreck. Dr. Robert Ballard stated he was denied twice. Hopefully, the RV Petrel team will have better luck in the future.
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

Jack Nisley

Post by Jack Nisley » 07 Sep 2019, 19:15

Based on "Battleships: Axis and Neutral Battleships of World War II" by Garzke and Dulin, the design called for 12 boilers to produce 27 knots max speed. They say that all 12 boilers were installed, but only 8 were operational. The other four boilers appear not to have completed fitting out/final assembly. Boilers (major components) would have to have been installed prior to completion of deck structures above the Boiler Rooms. Steam piping, boiler fittings, and auxiliary machinery probably still incomplete due to rush to get Shinano out of Yokosuska Navy Yard to Kure.

Jack Nisley

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 07 Sep 2019, 22:16

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 10:06
Blueprints for the Yamato class are scarce. Plans for Shinano are practically nonexistent, unfortunately. If any still exist, they're locked down in the JMSDF Archives and may never see the light of day; the Japanese government still wishes to keep her a secret even to this day, to the point of refusing permission to search for her wreck. Dr. Robert Ballard stated he was denied twice. Hopefully, the RV Petrel team will have better luck in the future.
I fail to see, what's so secret about "Shinano"? Other "Yamato"-class blueprints are publicly available.

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 08 Sep 2019, 05:20

I guess it's because she was carrying Ohkas on her final voyage or something...no clue why the Japanese government won't allow for her wreck to be located.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 08 Sep 2019, 06:22

It is difficult for me to think that the transportation of Oka is the reason for the disapproval of the location of Shinano. Considering her sinking location is deep in the Nankai Trough, it is unlikely that the location was planned.

fontessa

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 08 Sep 2019, 06:49

According to Wikipedia, she's supposedly about 4,000 meters (13,000 feet) down, so if she's in one piece and upright, she might be in remarkable shape. It would be incredible if this was true.

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 08 Sep 2019, 10:55

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 05:20
I guess it's because she was carrying Ohkas on her final voyage or something...no clue why the Japanese government won't allow for her wreck to be located.
USA know about Okhas more, than Japan.

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 08 Sep 2019, 11:00

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 06:49
According to Wikipedia, she's supposedly about 4,000 meters (13,000 feet) down, so if she's in one piece and upright, she might be in remarkable shape. It would be incredible if this was true.
According to _English_ Wikipedia ;) Japanese Wiki says about 6-7000 meters and difficult search conditions.

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 08 Sep 2019, 11:04

'Difficult' means 'easy reach' for a certain research vessel whose name starts with 'P'. ;)

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 11 Sep 2019, 01:42

fontessa wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 15:30
And According to "牧野茂艦船ノート" Makino Shigeru Worship Note written by 牧野茂 Makino Shigeru, 9 boilers had been integrated when the modification to an airclaft carrier was desided.
牧野茂: EX IJN Officer (Technical, Spesialty was Ship Building)
I was my mistake. The below is correct:
And According to "幻の空母信濃" written by 安藤日出男 ANDO Hideo, 9 boilers had been integrated when the modification to an airclaft carrier was desided.
aurelien wolff wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 13:27
only 8 were actually onboard the ship because 4 couldn't be delivered because of the delay
The remodeling plan for an aircraft carrier was decided in November 1942. The completion date was postponed to February 1945. Due to the loss of aircraft carriers in the Mariana Battle, the completion date was shortened to 15 October 1944. The Naval General Staff was eager to bring SHINANO to the Philippines. A lot of work was skipped in order to achieve the shortened completion date. 12 boilers were incorporated, but 4 could not be adjusted. Although the remaining 8 boilers were operational, the speed that could be achieved by this was maximum 21 knots, the 1st battle speed.

fontessa

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”