Arasaki Rifles sold to France 1914

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
jerryasher

Arasaki Rifles sold to France 1914

Post by jerryasher » 05 Oct 2019, 00:09

I have a citation that a shipload of Arasaki rifles, perhaps as a many as 150,000 were sold to France in 1914 BUT while the ship was still at sea, France agreed to turn them over to Great Britain and then the ship was diverted to a port in Great Britain and landed, perhaps in late January or early February 1915. From the dates--assume the rifles were on a French ship? Can anyone pin down this sale? September-October-November 1914, the name and date of the ship carrying them. The British Marines in November were ordered or had begun turning in their SMILE rifles, awaiting the Arasaki's, and by February 14th 1915 there is an official British citation. The first ship I have possibly carrying Japanese arms sold to France was the Cordillere in the fall of 1914. Many thanks in advance. I am not sure that this question doesn't fit better in world war one file? any help much appreciated.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”