Type 4 Ho-Ro self-propelled gun - Battle of Luzon, Clark Airfield

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
UncleBourbon

Type 4 Ho-Ro self-propelled gun - Battle of Luzon, Clark Airfield

Post by UncleBourbon » 18 Dec 2019, 18:14

I recently got the exciting chance to see the last known surviving example of this self-propelled gun at the American Heritage Museum last month, and I've had it on my mind since.

It's plaque at the museum mentions it last saw action at the Battle of Luzon near Clark Airfield in January 1945. It was under the command of an Independent Gun Company alongside the Japanese 8th Infantry Division with additional support from the Japanese 2nd Tank Division with units of Chi-Ha Kai medium tanks. It only mentions that the crew were forced to abandon the Type 4 Ho-Ro and flee into the jungle.

I was wondering if there were any firsthand accounts, either by Japanese operators or American servicemen, giving more detail about this engagement?
I was also wondering if there were any firsthand accounts for the other 11 or so Type 4 Ho-Ro self-propelled guns used and destroyed in the Pacific.
Additionally, if there is any detailed history for combat use of the Type 38 Howitzer used as it's main gun, I would also be interested in that.
Type 4 HoRo.png
Good view of the breech on the example I saw firsthand.

Akira Takizawa

Re: Type 4 Ho-Ro self-propelled gun - Battle of Luzon, Clark Airfield

Post by Akira Takizawa » 22 Dec 2019, 15:58

This Ho-Ro belonged to Sumi Independent SP Gun Company. The account of Sumi Independent SP Gun Company was published in Japan and it describes the battle of Ho-Ro in detail. But, it has never been translated into English. If you can use Japanese text, I will send a copy.

Taki

UncleBourbon

Post by UncleBourbon » 25 Dec 2019, 02:55

Akira Takizawa wrote:
22 Dec 2019, 15:58
This Ho-Ro belonged to Sumi Independent SP Gun Company. The account of Sumi Independent SP Gun Company was published in Japan and it describes the battle of Ho-Ro in detail. But, it has never been translated into English. If you can use Japanese text, I will send a copy.
I can't read Japanese well at all as I'm only acquainted with Hiragana, but I would appreciate the text regardless since I could get it translated.
You mean a digital copy, right? If so I would definitely appreciate that!
Thank you very much for the information and offer. Here are some more photos I took, Merry Christmas!
Type 4 HoRo 1.png
Type 4 HoRo side view
Type 4 HoRo 2.png
Type 4 HoRo balcony view

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 25 Dec 2019, 06:35

> You mean a digital copy, right?

Yes. Let me know your mail address. If you want not to publish it, use private message. I will send a copy by e-mail.

Taki

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”