Japan and Fascism

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Jordisson

Japan and Fascism

Post by Jordisson » 24 Jan 2020, 20:48

Hello everyone, new poster here so I hope this is the right place to ask this,

My question is, in short: to what extent can the political developments in 1930's Japan be described as the rise of fascism?
I restrict myself here to the 1930's because I consider that during a period of total war all political systems tend to gain fascist-like characteristics, which blurs the analysis.
More precisely, my questioning concerns the following topics:
- Fascism or military dictatorship? related: was right-wing nationalism a mass or strictly an elite movement?
- Was there a philosophical/ideological emphasis on violence as a central component of state ideology like in German/Italian fascism?
- To what extent did showa statism emerge and gain power as a reaction to a perceived and/or actual leftist threat in Japan proper?
- Would the differences between the political systems of Japan in the late 1930's and Nazi Germany and/or Fascist Italy be greater than those between Nazi Germany and/or Fascist Italy and Francoist Spain?
Rather than specific, definitive answers I would like to spur a discussion, so if people have pertinent points that do not pertain to the previous questions you are most welcome to give them.

To clarify the question, I consider fascism as a global political phenomenon of the Interwar period that emerged in some part independently of similar conditions around the world, rather than a form of ideology that is specific to Europe and gained influence mostly through spreading. I think with this view it makes sense to wonder if Japanese state nationalism is a form of fascism in a homological rather than genealogical sense.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

wm

Re: Japan and Fascism

Post by wm » 24 Jan 2020, 22:33

By the late 1930s, Japan and Germany were associated ... through a superficial resemblance of their ideologies and a convergence of their foreign political objectives.
Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan: The Hollow Diplomatic Alliance

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 24 Jan 2020, 22:40

Fascism was a facade for power grabs. Nobody who mattered actually believed in it.

But then the same can be said for democracy.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Jordisson

Post by Jordisson » 24 Jan 2020, 23:04

OpanaPointer wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 22:40
Fascism was a facade for power grabs. Nobody who mattered actually believed in it.
To me, fascism was a form of power grab in itself, that had specific characteristics that go beyond ideology. What I wonder is, to what extent the Japanese power grab can be qualified as fascism.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 25 Jan 2020, 02:31

Jordisson wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 23:04
OpanaPointer wrote:
To me, fascism was a form of power grab in itself, that had specific characteristics that go beyond ideology. What I wonder is, to what extent the Japanese power grab can be qualified as fascism.
I don't know your list of specific characteristics, but if you say fascism is a militarist control of the country I'd agree. Have you looked at the Feb. 26, 1936 Incident?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Jordisson

Post by Jordisson » 25 Jan 2020, 03:02

OpanaPointer wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 02:31
Jordisson wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 23:04
OpanaPointer wrote:
I don't know your list of specific characteristics, but if you say fascism is a militarist control of the country I'd agree. Have you looked at the Feb. 26, 1936 Incident?
I had, but as I think there is a significant distinction between a fascist and a militaristic takeover, most prominently in the form of a mass civilian (or paramilitary) movement, it did not seem like be a purely fascist power grab. Maybe my sources are bad but I did not have the impression that the attempted coup had significant civilian support. I also am not sure that the coup was the reaction to a leftist threat (even if only perceived). I do think however that the Kodoha (and the Toseiha) had visions that were clearly fascist-inspired, and by the time the takeover by the military was complete in 1940-41 it clearly transformed into "war fascism".

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 25 Jan 2020, 03:10

The general public didn't have any say in events. The Diet was a rubber stamp, nothing more. The coup was a blatant challenge to anyone who wanted to rein in the militarists.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Jordisson

Post by Jordisson » 25 Jan 2020, 03:22

This was indeed my understanding. It tends to support the militarist view over the fascist one.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » 24 Feb 2020, 11:57

I don't know if I'm contributing info or not but I think that you could have a monarchy and still be fascist. Spain and Italy had a monarchy and were still considered Fascist. As for dictatorial power, I think in Japan it was the military that had full power rather than a single man like Hitler or Mussolini as I don't think Tojo had full power. One question, was Tojo considered a dictator in the same way as Hitler or Mussolini was? I usually hear Tojo get called prime minister but not anything similar to Fuhrer or Il Duce.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”