Tientsin 1931 riots.

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
marek O.

Tientsin 1931 riots.

Post by marek O. » 19 Apr 2020, 21:28

Hello gentlemen,

I have a questions about Tientsin riots in November 1931 and a part of IJA units in it. I have some sketchy informations that lt. gen. Kashii Kohei, co of China Garrison Army (支那駐屯軍), also called Tientsin Garrison, had about 2000 men under his command, in the city. They were supposed to be from 2nd Infantry Regiment and Field Artillery Regiment and probably [that's my thought] some support units. My first question is - How am I suppose to call this unit - 2nd IR of China Garrison Army? 2nd China Garrison IR? Maybe some other way? 2nd question - am I right that in Tientsin during the riots in 1931 were units that I mentioned earlier? 3rd question - do You know the commanding officers of units, whichever they were, that were present in the Tientsin Japanese Concession during November 1931?

Regards,
Marek

Akira Takizawa

Re: Tientsin 1931 riots.

Post by Akira Takizawa » 20 Apr 2020, 04:06

> I have a questions about Tientsin riots in November 1931 and a part of IJA units in it. I have some sketchy informations that lt. gen. Kashii Kohei, co of China Garrison Army (支那駐屯軍), also called Tientsin Garrison, had about 2000 men under his command, in the city.

It is not correct. When Tientsin 1931 riots, China Garrison Army had 887 men in total. In Tientsin, there were 583 men.

> They were supposed to be from 2nd Infantry Regiment and Field Artillery Regiment and probably [that's my thought] some support units.

No, China Garrison Army had following units.

Tientsin Garrison Infantry Unit (4 companies)
Tientsin Garrison Cavalry Unit
Peking Garrison Infantry Unit (2 companies)
Shanhai Pass Garrison Infantry Unit (1 company)
Hospital

> My first question is - How am I suppose to call this unit - 2nd IR of China Garrison Army? 2nd China Garrison IR? Maybe some other way?

It is 支那駐屯歩兵第2連隊 in Japanese. 2nd China Garrison IR will be good. Note that 2nd China Garrison IR was formed in 1936. When Tientsin 1931 riots, it was Tientsin Garrison Infantry Unit (天津駐屯歩兵隊).

> 2nd question - am I right that in Tientsin during the riots in 1931 were units that I mentioned earlier?

Answered above.

> 3rd question - do You know the commanding officers of units, whichever they were, that were present in the Tientsin Japanese Concession during November 1931?

Takashi Sakai commanded Tientsin Garrison Infantry Unit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Sakai
Though Wiki wrote Tientsin Garrison, it is Tientsin Garrison Infantry Unit correctly.

Taki

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 20 Apr 2020, 09:31

Dear Taki,

Great, great Thank You.

I have just one last question. On one of the Chinese language internet pages, I found information that gen. Kashii, after the riots started, imposed martial law in Japanese District of Tientsin and ordered to open artillery fire on Chinese part of the city. Is it any truth in this? Page says nothing about how many guns were used, how many rounds were fired and what were the effects.

Regards,
Marek

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 20 Apr 2020, 10:50

According to the following report, there was artillery unit. But, the details of artillery unit are unknown.
https://www.jacar.archives.go.jp/das/image/B02032028600

The following report stated that the Japanese used artillery, because the Chinese used artillery.
https://www.jacar.archives.go.jp/das/image/C04011105300

Taki

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 20 Apr 2020, 14:00

Taki,

Thank You very much indeed.

Regards,
Marek

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”