Japanese Airborne Radars

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
zavety

Re: Japanese Airborne Radars

Post by zavety » 06 Dec 2022, 19:23

fontessa wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 13:25
zavety wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 10:08
Photos I found in the NARA archive of the Japanese H-6 radar
Thanks. It is Interesting that the A-scope was covered with a light-shielding hood. It was the Betty G6M2A that belonged to 702nd Attack Unit / 763rd Naval Air Group used in the Philippines in the fall of 1944. The Betty 762-12 is famous in Japan and is modeled.
fontessa
I only know three old photos A-scope.

zavety

Post by zavety » 06 Dec 2022, 19:41

Japanese army heavy bomber Nakajima Ki-49 Donryu with army radar Ta-ki 1 mod.1 (タキ1号1型), Japan, 1945.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 08 Dec 2022, 09:45

zavety wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 19:41
Japanese army heavy bomber Nakajima Ki-49 Donryu with army radar Ta-ki 1 mod.1 (タキ1号1型), Japan, 1945.
Interesting diagram of radar sensitivity. Were the IJNAFs side sensitivities to help find targets in the wider ocean? It is also interesting that the old type K-49 was equipped with the Taki-1.

fontessa

ROLAND1369

Post by ROLAND1369 » 09 Dec 2022, 15:55

Not surprising the KI 49 could have been used as a trials aircraft for development work in mainland japan or for anti submarine patrols in home waters. In both applications its obsolescence would be unimportant. Note that the US used the even more obsolete B 18 for the same purpose.

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 17 Dec 2022, 01:12

Photo seems to show the remnants of a radar system on the rear fuselage of this P1Y Ginga.
Attachments
P1Y Ginga Fuselage Anomoly.jpg

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 05 Jan 2023, 03:33

Unusual small, flat round radar (radome?) device? On mast in front of observation blister. Very modern looking.

Radar mast mounted in faired over, deleted 20mm nose gun position.
Attachments
Garmin GMR 18 HD radome.jpg
ColorH8K 24 radar noted.jpg

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 05 Jan 2023, 07:43

ShindenKai wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 03:33
Unusual small, flat round radar (radome?) device? On mast in front of observation blister. Very modern looking.

I can't believe IJN had such a high-level device. Was it part of the building behind the flying boat? The other boats were not equipped, and this boat also appears not to be equipped when viewed from the front at the start of the movie.

2式大艇5.jpg

fontessa

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 05 Jan 2023, 09:07

fontessa wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 07:43
ShindenKai wrote:

I can't believe IJN had such a high-level device. Was it part of the building behind the flying boat? The other boats were not equipped, and this boat also appears not to be equipped when viewed from the front at the start of the movie.

fontessa
The building has tall flat sides, there isn't a lower portion that could extend close enough for that radome to be attached. Where you placed an arrow there is clearly a white shape above the observation blister. Notice the position of the mast for the radome, the more "head-on" the pic is, the closer the mast is to the radome, which means it's absolutely on the canopy in front of the observation blister.

I don't specifically know if it's actually a radome or not, but sure looks like one. It's a strange H8K in other ways, it doesn't have waist blisters, but does have openings in the waist area but these openings are also smaller AND lower than where the waist blisters would be. Notice the flaps are down and the waist openings are LOWER, H8K's with waist blisters are lined up directly behind trailing edge of the wing, with flaps UP/retracted.
Attachments
H8K Captured, rear right side.jpg
Waist blister clearly visible, very few side windows
H8K_Emily_flying_boat_beached.jpg
Extra side windows, but not as many as Transport version, also has waist hatch and smaller door behind front entry/exit door.
H8K2 Transport.jpg
Lots of side windows, no hatch in waist blister area
ColorH8K 25.jpg

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 05 Jan 2023, 11:03

It would seem that hatches mentioned in previous post are actually escape hatches and are on both sides and both (upper/lower) cargo/personnel decks.

I must say that the upper personnel deck looks fairly comfy, especially if it wasn't being used at max capacity (easy to stretch out and take a nap). This view appears to be just under the wings looking aft.
Attachments
H8K2 Transport Escape Hatches.jpg
Round escape hatches for upper & lower decks
H8K2 Transport Escape Hatches.jpg (21.37 KiB) Viewed 888 times
H8K Transport interior, upper deck cargo area.jpg
Round escape hatches visible on each side, 2nd window back, both sides

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 06 Jan 2023, 02:09

ShindenKai wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 09:07
fontessa wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 07:43
ShindenKai wrote:

fontessa
The building has tall flat sides, there isn't a lower portion that could extend close enough for that radome to be attached. Where you placed an arrow there is clearly a white shape above the observation blister. Notice the position of the mast for the radome, the more "head-on" the pic is, the closer the mast is to the radome, which means it's absolutely on the canopy in front of the observation blister.

I don't specifically know if it's actually a radome or not, but sure looks like one. It's a strange H8K in other ways, it doesn't have waist blisters, but does have openings in the waist area but these openings are also smaller AND lower than where the waist blisters would be. Notice the flaps are down and the waist openings are LOWER, H8K's with waist blisters are lined up directly behind trailing edge of the wing, with flaps UP/retracted.
We can't reach to a conclusion, easy. . my last claim. H8K's cockpit was narrow. The picture below shows it. Because the front of ③ astronomical dome was blocked by ⑦ various levers. So, I think it was difficult to add new equipment there.

After writing this, I found another photo of the T-31. The pillar in question was there. However, it was almost above the pilot's head, and just above the lever housing. The T-31 is the H8K2 early production type, but this is not visible on the drawing. It is also omitted in the restored T-31 displayed in Kanoya. That is, not so important thing. It can be seen in front of the astronomical dome in the middle photo below. The caption for this photo says, "This pole was an antenna with landing lights (which were very little) on the tip," but the antenna was at the back. To be honest, I don't know what this thing was.

Click to enlarge.
2式大艇6.jpg

2式大艇7.jpg

fontessa

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 06 Jan 2023, 07:27

Looks to me like the landing lights are atop the tall mast behind the observation blister, look at its relation to the inboard engine visible behind it. If the mast were in front of the blister we'd see more of the front of the engine, not the side.
Attachments
Kawanishi H8K Emily Navy Type 2 Flying Boat outer wing panel missing resting on beaching gear at NAS Chambers Field Norfolk Virginia 11 December 1948..jpg
Landing lights atop of mast behind the observation blister, with mast for radome in in front of blister

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 06 Jan 2023, 07:45

Landing light & antenna mast behind blister, radome mast in front.
Attachments
1A1CBAA3-42BA-4F7E-A1EB-B5F73C09E34B.jpeg
Landing light mast behind blister
20BA7008-D431-40C1-8B39-26682AFA9701.jpeg
Radome mast in front of blister

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 06 Jan 2023, 07:47

ShindenKai wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 07:27
Looks to me like the landing lights are atop the tall mast behind the observation blister, look at its relation to the inboard engine visible behind it. If the mast were in front of the blister we'd see more of the front of the engine, not the side.
The tall mast behind the observation blister was the antenna mast as I said. And the landing lights were atop it as I said. So I said, "To be honest, I don't know what this thing was." Was my English so bad?

fontessa

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 06 Jan 2023, 08:07

fontessa wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 07:47
ShindenKai wrote:
The tall mast behind the observation blister was the antenna mast as I said. And the landing lights were atop it as I said. So I said, "To be honest, I don't know what this thing was." Was my English so bad?

fontessa
My bad, I was just merely trying to confirm. Your English is great. No offense intended. :oops:

I somehow skimmed "The tall mast behind the observation blister was the antenna mast"
again, my bad. :oops:

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 09 Jan 2023, 02:04

ShindenKai wrote:
ShindenKai wrote:
It seems that there were four H8Ks ① ~ ④ including T-31 in Negishi. ①, which was closest to the building on land by process of elimination, seems to be the T-31. There was no obscure pole in front of the T-31 astrodome in ② and ③.

observation blister
It was more precisely 天測ドーム. According to Google Translate, its English translation is “astronomical dome”. I used this translation once, but I know it was called astrodome recently. It was here that sextants were used to observe the stars for astronomical navigation at night when drift measurements were not possible. So large bombers in WWII had it.

2式大艇 根岸 1.jpg

2式大艇 根岸 2.jpg

2式大艇 根岸 3.jpg

2式大艇 根岸 4.jpg

天測ドーム.jpg

fontessa

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”