Allied generals in Japanese captivity

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
taurus

Allied generals in Japanese captivity

Post by taurus » 26 Sep 2021, 16:08

Hi,
The capture of soldiers of the Japanese Imperial Army with the rank of "general" during the Manchuria offensive by Soviet troops was first announced by the Soviet Information Bureau on August 21, 1945. It was reported that on August 20, 1945. The commander of the 1st Front, Kita Seiitti, the commander of the 3rd Front of the Kwantung Army, General Ushiroku Jun, the commander of the 3rd Army of the Kwantung Army, Lieutenant General Murokami Keisaku, and the commander of the 5th Army of the Kwantung Army, Lieutenant General Shimizu Noritsune, were captured.
A total of 240 generals and their equivalents were taken prisoner during the war with Japan. There were 195 Japanese, 24 Chinese, 1 Manchurian, 4 Mongols, 1 Buryat, 1 Korean and 14 persons of uncertain nationality.

The distribution of captives by military rank (ranks) is as follows: 1 marshal, 5 full generals, 79 lieutenant generals, 147 major generals, 3 generals, 3 rear admirals and 2 vice admirals.

The full list is here: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0 ... 0%A1%D0%A0

Of this number, 35 died in Soviet captivity, including 33 Japanese, 1 Mongolian and 1 Chinese. The rest either returned home as a result of repatriation or were handed over to the authorities of the People's Republic of China.
And is the exact number of allied generals (USA, UK, Commonwealth) captured by the Japanese known. I know only Lieutenant General Arthur Percival and Lieutenant General Jonathan Mayhew Wainwright. And were there any cases of Japanese Imperial Army generals taken prisoner of war by the said countries.
I couldn't find the topic on the forum.
Thanks.
Best regards

taurus

Re: Allied generals in Japanese captivity

Post by taurus » 29 Sep 2021, 15:45

There is no information on my question?
Best regards

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”