What did Japan say when they found out that...

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

What did Japan say when they found out that...

Post by OpanaPointer » 04 Nov 2021, 20:10

...the US was "reading their mail" to such an extent?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: What did Japan say when they found out that...

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 08 Apr 2022, 02:36

Farrago was one of the early writers on this subject. 'The Broken Seal'. had some on the subject. You might check to see if any of his books were sold in Japan. As with the Enigma/ULTRA decryption the subject remained classified for several decades. So its not like Halsey or King were explaining it to their Japanese counterparts in September 1945.

Rob Stuart

Post by Rob Stuart » 08 Apr 2022, 14:58

The fact that the US had exploited the Japanese diplomatic cipher codenamed PURPLE was divulged during the Congressional hearings which started on 15 November 1945 and included in the documents the committee released in 1946, as mentioned at https://www.nsa.gov/History/Cryptologic ... tigations/ and elsewhere.

As for the Japanese naval codes, I'm not certain but I think that the fact that they had been broken was repeatedly mentioned in Morison's 15-volume "History of United States Naval Operations in World War II", starting with volume 4, "Coral Sea, Midway and submarine actions, May 1942-August 1942", which was published in 1949, if not in one of the first three volumes.

Ponury

Post by Ponury » 10 Apr 2022, 10:08

A są poszlaki, że to Polacy po I wojnie nauczyli Japończyków łamać amierykańskie szyfry. I tak je łamali, aż się USA połapało i zatrudniło przy szyfrowaniu Indian Navaho :)

Rob Stuart

Post by Rob Stuart » 10 Apr 2022, 14:58

Ponury wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 10:08
A są poszlaki, że to Polacy po I wojnie nauczyli Japończyków łamać amierykańskie szyfry. I tak je łamali, aż się USA połapało i zatrudniło przy szyfrowaniu Indian Navaho :)
"And there are indications that it was Poles who taught the Japanese to break American codes after the First World War. And so they broke them until the US found out and hired Navaho Indians to encrypt" ???

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 10 Apr 2022, 15:58

Rob Stuart wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 14:58
The fact that the US had exploited the Japanese diplomatic cipher codenamed PURPLE was divulged during the Congressional hearings which started on 15 November 1945 and included in the documents the committee released in 1946, as mentioned at https://www.nsa.gov/History/Cryptologic ... tigations/ and elsewhere.
Yeah, one of my projects.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/magic/
As for the Japanese naval codes, I'm not certain but I think that the fact that they had been broken was repeatedly mentioned in Morison's 15-volume "History of United States Naval Operations in World War II", starting with volume 4, "Coral Sea, Midway and submarine actions, May 1942-August 1942", which was published in 1949, if not in one of the first three volumes.
I recall that the worst weakness for SEM's books was the lack of INTEL analysis. I could be remembering someone else.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”