IJA Landing Operation Ships with slopes at the stern

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
fontessa

Re: IJA Landing Operation Ships with slopes at the stern

Post by fontessa » 27 Jun 2023 10:59

ShindenKai wrote:
27 Jun 2023 09:59
Kayaba auto-gyro that were used on Akitsu Maru...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EFt7cLCRSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTf1RtdErH4
I have questioned, "Who took this photo and how...".

Only the autogyro could take such a sharp and unshakable photo. IJA sent several autogyros to the Philippines for Impact observation. And all of them were lost. Even if something remained, I highly doubt that IJN would have been able to request IJA to dispatch the remaining autogyro so far away in the absence of air superiority. So, my previous question remains as before.

早霜 清霜 4.jpg

早霜 沈没点 4.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 27 Jun 2023 21:36

fontessa wrote:
27 Jun 2023 10:59
ShindenKai wrote:
27 Jun 2023 09:59
Kayaba auto-gyro that were used on Akitsu Maru...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EFt7cLCRSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTf1RtdErH4
I have questioned, "Who took this photo and how...".

Only the autogyro could take such a sharp and unshakable photo. IJA sent several autogyros to the Philippines for Impact observation. And all of them were lost. Even if something remained, I highly doubt that IJN would have been able to request IJA to dispatch the remaining autogyro so far away in the absence of air superiority. So, my previous question remains as before.

fontessa
Many "sharp and unshakable" photos have been taken from all sorts of craft. The clarity/sharpness is heavily reliant on shutter speed (and how well lit the object is), the faster the better.

That image could've been taken from a low flying U.S. aircraft or a taller U.S.N. ship. I don't know, I found the pic online.

I don't understand why someone would fake that image. What's the gain?

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 27 Jun 2023 22:37

ShindenKai wrote:
27 Jun 2023 21:36
Of course I think so too. I am not blaming you. This photo can also be seen on a Japanese blog. However, "Funnei No.2" seems to have been modified later to me. (Looks like to be on the port side.) But it's just my personal impression that something is wrong.

早霜 清霜 5.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 27 Jun 2023 22:41

fontessa wrote:
27 Jun 2023 22:37
ShindenKai wrote:
27 Jun 2023 21:36
Of course I think so too. I am not blaming you. This photo can also be seen on a Japanese blog. However, "Funnei No.2" seems to have been modified later to me. (Looks like to be on the port side) But it's just my personal opinion that something is wrong.
fontessa
Ok, yes- I agree, rear funnel could've been modified- maybe to repair damage.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 28 Jun 2023 00:11

fontessa wrote:
13 Jun 2023 00:55
They were 海防挺 Kaibotei whose production was decided in April 1945. They were planned to carry Kaiten, but nothing was completed by the end of the war. There were two types of 海防挺.
No.1 and No.2: Steel Hull. Carried Kaiten x 2
No.101 ~ No.157: Wooden Hall. Carried Kaiten x 1

fontessa
Detailed drawings of 海防挺.

Type 甲 on Steel Hull
海防挺 甲.jpg

Type 乙 on Wooden Hall
海防挺 乙.jpg

fontessa

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 20 Jul 2023 03:02

Pics taken by USS Seawolf (SS-197) of the sinking of IJN Tade AKA Patrol Boat No.39, the stern is ramped/sloped.

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 28 Jul 2023 20:04

fontessa wrote:
13 Jun 2023 00:55
They were 海防挺 Kaibotei whose production was decided in April 1945. They were planned to carry Kaiten, but nothing was completed by the end of the war. There were two types of 海防挺.
No.1 and No.2: Steel Hull. Carried Kaiten x 2
No.101 ~ No.157: Wooden Hall. Carried Kaiten x 1

fontessa
Excellent info Fontessa. However, the drawings seem to represent the opposite Kaiten load-out- showing the wooden-hulled ship carrying 2 Kaiten, not 1. It would make sense that the steel-hulled ship would be able to carry the 2 Kaiten, not the wooden-hulled ship.

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 06 Aug 2023 00:25

To be clear, I know the inaccuracy in the drawings are simply a mistake by the artist. Not you, Fontessa.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 08 Aug 2023 01:30

ShindenKai wrote:
06 Aug 2023 00:25
To be clear, I know the inaccuracy in the drawings are simply a mistake by the artist. Not you, Fontessa.
Thanks. Actually, I've been feeling sick lately - I made a couple of simple quoting mistakes on the AHF as well. It turned out later that I had COVID-19. In May, Japan downgraded the threat level of COVID-19 and eased various restrictions, but the number of infections has increased sharply since then.

I noticed the mistake when I uploaded the drawing. In the drawings, the number of Kaiten was corrected in red, but the Kaibo Boat was able to change the onboard weapons according to the mission. Since it was basically a Kaibo Boat, it was able to carry a large number of depth charges as shown below.
 Type Ko: Up to 60 mines
 Type Otsu: Up to 60 mines
When used as a Kaiten Transport Boat
 Type Ko: 2 Kaiten and up to 4 mines
 Type Otsu: 2 Kaiten and up to 8 mines
In both types, if only one Kaiten was transported, the number of depth charges could be increased. (I don't know how many were loaded)

fontessa

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 09 Aug 2023 03:49

fontessa wrote:
08 Aug 2023 01:30
ShindenKai wrote:
06 Aug 2023 00:25
Thanks. Actually, I've been feeling sick lately - I made a couple of simple quoting mistakes on the AHF as well. It turned out later that I had COVID-19. In May, Japan downgraded the threat level of COVID-19 and eased various restrictions, but the number of infections has increased sharply since then.

I noticed the mistake when I uploaded the drawing. In the drawings, the number of Kaiten was corrected in red, but the Kaibo Boat was able to change the onboard weapons according to the mission. Since it was basically a Kaibo Boat, it was able to carry a large number of depth charges as shown below.
 Type Ko: Up to 60 mines
 Type Otsu: Up to 60 mines
When used as a Kaiten Transport Boat
 Type Ko: 2 Kaiten and up to 4 mines
 Type Otsu: 2 Kaiten and up to 8 mines
In both types, if only one Kaiten was transported, the number of depth charges could be increased. (I don't know how many were loaded)

fontessa
Hope you're feeling better with each passing day Fontessa! Thanks for the clarification.

Berend

Post by Berend » 20 Aug 2023 20:35

In addition to reply #30:
a picture of the sloped stern of the destroyer Take at Nagaura in 1946.

Berend

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 21 Aug 2023 00:07

Berend wrote:
20 Aug 2023 20:35
In addition to reply #30:
a picture of the sloped stern of the destroyer Take at Nagaura in 1946.

Berend
Great find, thank you for posting.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”