Anami Korechika (阿南 惟幾) a little help, please.

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Anami Korechika (阿南 惟幾) a little help, please.

Post by OpanaPointer » 24 Feb 2022, 02:30

Japan's Longest Day had me believing that Anami changed his position after learning of the second atomic bomb attack, resulting in a deadlock among the Big Six, and this gave the Emperor a chance to call the whole thing off.

140 Days to Hiroshima, on the other paw, doesn't mention a change of position for Anami.

So, which is a better call on the events?

And no, I didn't do the characters, copy pasta from Wiki. (Ducks for cover.)
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

cstunts

Re: Anami Korechika (阿南 惟幾) a little help, please.

Post by cstunts » 25 Feb 2022, 04:20

THE DAY MAN LOST (Pacific War Research Society, 1972) states that no consensus was reached and after a day or two, in an unprecedented move, Tenno Heika was asked to come in personally & settle the matter. Which he did...
Takemae Eiji's book INSIDE GHQ (aka THE ALLIED OCCUPATION OF JAPAN, publ. 2002) says much the same thing...that Anami never relented.

FWIW

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 25 Feb 2022, 14:13

Thanks, after sixty years I'm still learning new things. I wonder what other things the Pacific War Research Society got wrong.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

BobTheBarbarian

Post by BobTheBarbarian » 25 Feb 2022, 17:30

General Anami was one of the most fanatical proponents that the war should continue, even after Nagasaki. From Toland, "The Rising Sun" p. 807:

"An officer entered the room with the report that a second atomic bomb had been dropped. This disquieting news, coupled with that from Manchuria, brought the pent-up resentment of Anami, Umezu and Toyoda into the open. They knew in their hearts that surrender was inevitable but adamantly refused to accept the Potsdam Proclamation even if the Emperor was allowed to reign. They insisted, in addition, that war criminals be tried by the Japanese themselves, that the Army be demobilized by Japanese officers, and that the occupation force be limited.

Togo impatiently tried to make them acknowledge the reality of the situation. With Japan so close to collapse, the Allies would undoubtedly reject such stipulations and the entire effort for peace would be endangered. Could the military offer any hope of victory? War Minister Anami could not, but he still wanted Japan to fight one more great battle - on the mainland. Could you keep the enemy from landing? Togo persisted. "With luck we will be able to repulse the invaders before they land," Umezu answered. "At any rate, I can say with confidence that we will be able to destroy the major part of an invading force. That is, we will be able to inflict extremely heavy damage on the enemy."

Togo pressed him: What difference would that make? The enemy would simply launch a second or third assault if necessary. There was nothing to do but sue for peace with a minimum of counterdemands. After three hours the issue remained unresolved. Suzuki adjourned the meeting and reported its inconclusive results to Marquis Kido. "There is but one solution," he told the Privy Seal. "We must ask the Emperor to make the decision."

and on page 811:

"I oppose the opinions of the Foreign Minister!" he [Anami] exclaimed. The Army could not agree to surrender unless the Allies allowed Japan to demobilize her own troops, try her own war criminals and limit the occupation force. "If not, we must continue fighting with courage and find life in death." His cheeks glistened with tears and his voice became strident as he pleaded for a last decisive battle in the homeland. "I am quite sure we could inflict great casualties on the enemy, and even if we fail in the attempt, our hundred million people are ready to die for honor, glorifying the deeds of the Japanese race in recorded history!"

The account is filled with quotes such as these. The militarists were all in favor of fighting on, and Anami seemed to have been the most vocal of all of them.
The Miracle of Lanciano: Jesus' Real Presence in the Holy Eucharist: https://web.archive.org/web/20060831022 ... tents.html

Divine Mercy Sunday: 4/16/23 https://www.thedivinemercy.org/message

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 05 Mar 2022, 13:42

Thanks. 140 Days to Hiroshima does the same regarding direct quotes. Very good book IMNSHO.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”