IJN Armed Merchant Cruisers

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
fontessa

Re: IJN Armed Merchant Cruisers

Post by fontessa » 10 Jul 2022 13:43

I would like to introduce miniature ship model masters.

R&R 工廠 / R&R Yard
1 / 700 Chitose
Also 1/ 700 Nisshin already uploaded.
Mr. Michael Wünshmann
1 / 1,200 Shokaku etc.

千歳模型 1.jpg

千歳模型 2.jpg

ミニチュアモデル 1.jpg

ミニチュアモデル 2.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 26 Jul 2022 06:35

The Niishin and its sister ships just needed some N1K1 Kyofu's (they'd look good on those models too) ;-D

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 26 Jul 2022 07:12

The N1K1 didn't enter service until early 1944. By that time, there were no purpose-built seaplane carriers left to operate it: both CHITOSE and CHIYODA had been converted to CVLs and both MIZUHO and NISSHIN had been sunk.
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 26 Jul 2022 18:19

Yes, I'm aware. One can dream, just seems a natural choice for those ships. With models, liberties can be taken with "historical" accuracy.. I'd even be happy with a few Rufe's on the models..

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 26 Jul 2022 20:35

How very true. I'm waiting for one of the Waterline Series companies to put out a 1/700-scale No.18-class soon. They have the Akagi-class BCs and the super-Yamatos...a No. 18 or a B-65 shouldn't be that far off. (Now if only we could get warships like you can Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars...:lol: )

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 27 Jul 2022 00:48

ShindenKai wrote:
26 Jul 2022 06:35
The Niishin and its sister ships just needed some N1K1 Kyofu's (they'd look good on those models too) ;-D
I think Nisshi and her sister ships didn't have the intention of operating sea fighters. Their purpose was to operate sea reconnaissance aircraft. I have never seen even Rufes on them.

fontessa

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 28 Jul 2022 23:05

fontessa wrote:
27 Jul 2022 00:48
I think Nisshi and her sister ships didn't have the intention of operating sea fighters. Their purpose was to operate sea reconnaissance aircraft. I have never seen even Rufes on them. fontessa
I agree completely. I just think it was a missed opportunity.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 29 Jul 2022 03:12

fontessa wrote:
27 Jul 2022 00:48
I think Nisshi and her sister ships didn't have the intention of operating sea fighters. Their purpose was to operate sea reconnaissance aircraft. I have never seen even Rufes on them.

fontessa
I would like to add some corrections.
Seaplane tenders did not operate Rufes as aircraft carriers but did carry them as airplane transport ships. I found the photo of Rufes of the 14th Naval Air Group on 神川丸 Kamikawa Maru. She carried them to Shortland in September 1942. We can see that the second and fourth Rufes were spinning their propellers. I think the engines were warmed up so that Rufes could take off quickly after being hung and lowered to sea level by a derrick (with the engines stopped, of course). Another photo of 君川丸 Kimikawamaru full hull miniature model (1 / 700) constructed by the same master as Chitose shows she carried the 5th Naval Air Group detachment Rufes to Aleutian in September - October 1942. Rufes fought U.S. Army Air Force such as 45 and 54 Fighter Squadrons. Note that she wore camouflage in the northern waters of winter.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=264116&p=2408423&h ... n#p2408423
According to the 1st and 2nd pictures, They could carry 8 Rufes (4 aircrafts x 2) on one voyage.

2式水戦 神川丸.jpg

2式水戦 君川丸.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 29 Jul 2022 06:49

Its interesting that they're running up the engines of at least two of the Rufe's in that pic.. the rearmost and the one at the center of the photo. The bracing has also been removed from the rudders, it also seems that the middle Rufe is being prep'd to be started as well.

Fantastic ship models!

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 29 Jul 2022 16:22

I would guess they ran the aircraft engines regularly during the voyage as part of their standard upkeep.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 29 Jul 2022 17:44

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
29 Jul 2022 16:22
I would guess they ran the aircraft engines regularly during the voyage as part of their standard upkeep.
Oh, it is a more reasonable guess. Thanks.

fontessa

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 29 Jul 2022 18:53

fontessa wrote:
29 Jul 2022 17:44
Oh, it is a more reasonable guess. Thanks.
I recall reading something about German aircraft on the Eastern Front - might have been in Rudel's Stuka Pilot - that stated that even in bad weather they ran the aircraft engines in their revetments to keep the various fluids from freezing up.

Now, while I seriously doubt fluids freezing up would be something one would have to worry about in the ever-frigid climes of the South Pacific :lol: I would guess running the engines regularly during the process of transport would help keep the various fluids from stagnating inside the engines.

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 30 Jul 2022 03:22

Except you wouldn't need to remove the rudder bracing to run-up the engines. My guess is they're about to be disembarked. Also, when one looks closely at the wing that is closest to the camera, again there is an aileron brace visible. These braces are clearly absent from the Zeroes with engines running and from the Zero that appears to be getting prep'd to start. The bracing is necessary to keep the control-surfaces locked to keep the aircraft from beating itself to pieces in the wind.

On the 1/700 Chitose, one can see that the biplanes have what appears to be boards tied to the wings, these were probably used as temporary spoilers to keep the wings from generating lift and causing the aircraft to destroy itself while tied down to the deck.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 30 Jul 2022 04:50

ShindenKai wrote:
30 Jul 2022 03:22
Except you wouldn't need to remove the rudder bracing to run-up the engines. My guess is they're about to be disembarked. Also, when one looks closely at the wing that is closest to the camera, again there is an aileron brace visible. These braces are clearly absent from the Zeroes with engines running and from the Zero that appears to be getting prep'd to start. The bracing is necessary to keep the control-surfaces locked to keep the aircraft from beating itself to pieces in the wind.

On the 1/700 Chitose, one can see that the biplanes have what appears to be boards tied to the wings, these were probably used as temporary spoilers to keep the wings from generating lift and causing the aircraft to destroy itself while tied down to the deck.
Thanks for the very interesting comment.

fontessa

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 01 Aug 2022 10:27

fontessa wrote:
29 Jul 2022 03:12
Seaplane tenders did not operate Rufes as aircraft carriers but did carry them as airplane transport ships. I found the photo of Rufes of the 14th Naval Air Group on 神川丸 Kamikawa Maru.
Better version of this photo shows those are aircraft from "Kamikawa Maru" own air group (see below).

"Kamikawa Maru" carried A6M2-N from August to December 1942.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”