IJN Armed Merchant Cruisers

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
fontessa

Re: IJN Armed Merchant Cruisers

Post by fontessa » 21 Aug 2022, 12:30

fontessa wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 12:27
Small Scale Maintenance ‘(Aircraft Side Maintenance)
It was carried out approximately every 50 hours of engine operation including engine test runs. It's not clear where it was done. I think it's dangerous to rotate propellers at the crowded hangers. Small Scale Maintenance was conducted by mechanics assigned to Air Branch.
Medium Scale Maintenance
It was carried out approximately every 150 hours of engine operation at the “Engine Adjustment Area". The engine was removed, cleaned, parts replaced, and tested. It took about 8 hours for the former and about 1.5 hours for the latter. Medium Scale Maintenance was conducted by mechanics assigned to Maintenance Branch.

fontessa
Interesting photo in a Japanese book. The caption is "Zero mod21 under maintenance on the Ryuho fright deck".
I guess it was the engine running in small scale maintenance on the flight deck when the ventilation of the hangar was not yet conducted.

小整備 A.jpg
小整備 A.jpg (40.45 KiB) Viewed 1408 times

fontessa

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 22 Aug 2022, 03:50

Another interesting thing is that only the right side flap is down, which means that Zero has some more work to be done before they can even think about it flying again. Both flaps must raise and lower at exactly the same rate. Its a time-consuming adjustment, bleeding both hydraulic cylinders and plumbing, etc, etc.

Also the engines must be run-up, to confirm their function any time any sort of engine work had been done. Same thing must be done with ALL internal combustion engines.

That is a great pic Fontessa, love all the information you bring forth.

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 23 Aug 2022, 18:32

fontessa wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 11:53
The Kanji for the drawing in interest is 線図 Sen-zu and the front view is called 正面線図 Front Sen-zu or 船体線図 Hull Sen-zu. I checked various libraries, but couldn’t find auxiliary cruisers Sen-zu. For this reason, I think that auxiliary cruisers were built, and refurbished by civilian shipyards. So IJN didn’t have their Se-zu.

Aikoku Maru, Hokoku Maru, and Gokoku Maru were built by Tama shipyard, which was absorbed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industry after the war. I inquired Mitsubishi Heavy Industry, "Are you taking over the drawings?" The drawings are probably not left, if there will be a preferable answer, I' will inform you.
fontessa
Fontessa, have you heard anything further about your inquiry? Thank you for your time.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 23 Aug 2022, 19:29

ShindenKai wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 18:32
fontessa wrote:
The Kanji for the drawing in interest is 線図 Sen-zu and the front view is called 正面線図 Front Sen-zu or 船体線図 Hull Sen-zu. I checked various libraries, but couldn’t find auxiliary cruisers Sen-zu. For this reason, I think that auxiliary cruisers were built, and refurbished by civilian shipyards. So IJN didn’t have their Se-zu.

Aikoku Maru, Hokoku Maru, and Gokoku Maru were built by Tama shipyard, which was absorbed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industry after the war. I inquired Mitsubishi Heavy Industry, "Are you taking over the drawings?" The drawings are probably not left, if there will be a preferable answer, I' will inform you.
fontessa
Fontessa, have you heard anything further about your inquiry?
I made an inquiry on June 30th to the company that currently inherits 玉造船所 which had built Aikokumaru. The next day I got a reply from the General Affairs and Personnel Section Manager saying "It is under consideration." But still no reply. In Japan, "Under consideration'' in this case means "No."' The company is still doing military-related work, so they are extremely reluctant. Unfortunately, we would be better off giving up.

fontessa
Last edited by fontessa on 23 Aug 2022, 19:53, edited 3 times in total.

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 23 Aug 2022, 19:48

fontessa wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 19:29
ShindenKai wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 18:32
fontessa wrote:

fontessa
Fontessa, have you heard anything further about your inquiry?
I made an inquiry on June 30th to the company that currently inherits 玉造船所 which had built Aikokumaru. The next day I got a reply from the General Affairs and Personnel Section Manager saying "It is under consideration". But still no reply. In Japan, "Under consideration'' in this case means "No."' The company is still doing military-related work, so they are extremely reluctant. Unfortunately, we would be better off giving up.

fontessa
You tried- its very much appreciated, thank you for the follow-up, Fontessa.

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 23 Aug 2022, 20:11

Understandable that - if they're still involved in projects with the JMSDF - they wouldn't be too open with certain topics. While it's a frustrating roadblock for us IJN buffs, I can also see it from their point of view. Suffice to say they built a trio of beautiful ships, and it's a shame there aren't more photos available of them. Anyone know of any photos of their passenger accommodations? GOKOKU MARU would've been completed to late to receive any civilian fittings, but her two sisters probably did.
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 27 Aug 2022, 11:33

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 20:11
Understandable that - if they're still involved in projects with the JMSDF - they wouldn't be too open with certain topics. While it's a frustrating roadblock for us IJN buffs, I can also see it from their point of view. Suffice to say they built a trio of beautiful ships, and it's a shame there aren't more photos available of them. Anyone know of any photos of their passenger accommodations? GOKOKU MARU would've been completed to late to receive any civilian fittings, but her two sisters probably did.
I sent you something. See my private massage.

fontessa

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 19 Sep 2022, 00:59

fontessa wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 14:43
I would like to introduce miniature ship model masters.

R&R 工廠 / R&R Yard
1 / 700 Chitose
Also 1/ 700 Nisshin already uploaded.
Mr. Michael Wünshmann
1 / 1,200 Shokaku etc.

千歳模型 1.jpg

千歳模型 2.jpg

ミニチュアモデル 1.jpg

ミニチュアモデル 2.jpg

fontessa
E13A Jake's + F1M Pete's on Mogami? Interestingly, the Pete's have the same spoiler boards on their wings. Also, the three VERY bright squares on the leading edges of the right wing of all aircraft visible, so bright they almost appear to be reflective material... Is this an enhanced IFF marking?
Attachments
E13A_Jakes+F1M_Petes_Mogami.jpg

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 19 Sep 2022, 02:23

ShindenKai wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 00:59
fontessa wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 14:43
I would like to introduce miniature ship model masters.

R&R 工廠 / R&R Yard
1 / 700 Chitose
Also 1/ 700 Nisshin already uploaded.
Mr. Michael Wünshmann
1 / 1,200 Shokaku etc.
fontessa
E13A Jake's + F1M Pete's on Mogami? Interestingly, the Pete's have the same spoiler boards on their wings. Also, the three VERY bright squares on the leading edges of the right wing of all aircraft visible, so bright they almost appear to be reflective material... Is this an enhanced IFF marking?
Your photo shows Mogami at the Battle of Leyte Gulf in which she participated as one of the 3rd Force (Nishimura Force). The "three VERY bright squares" indicated the affiliation to the 3rd Force.

The 1st Force: Kurita Force
The 2nd Force: Shima Force

fontessa

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 19 Sep 2022, 03:21

Probably taken right before Leyte Gulf, I would think...I doubt any photos taken aboard her during October 1944 survived.
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 19 Sep 2022, 05:03

fontessa wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 02:23
Your photo shows Mogami at the Battle of Leyte Gulf in which she participated as one of the 3rd Force (Nishimura Force). The "three VERY bright squares" indicated the affiliation to the 3rd Force.

fontessa
Thanks Fontessa. So, the squares are just white paint?

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 19 Sep 2022, 05:03

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 03:21
Probably taken right before Leyte Gulf, I would think...I doubt any photos taken aboard her during October 1944 survived.
Very true, unfortunately.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 19 Sep 2022, 05:34

ShindenKai wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 05:03
fontessa wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 02:23

fontessa
Thanks Fontessa. So, the squares are just white paint?
Yes. See below color-treated Mogami.

最上_11.jpg

fontessa

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 25 Dec 2022, 18:20

The photo below shows the engine running of E13A Jake on Kiyokawa Maru. She could carry 12 seaplanes. The lines on the front of the main wing were Drift Measurement Lines for a pilot. It was rare. These were usually written on the horizontal stabilizer for the backseat crew. The line spacing was probably 5 degrees, the same as the one written on the horizontal stabilizer.

零式水偵 君川丸.jpg

偏流測定線.jpg

fontessa

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 25 Dec 2022, 21:07

fontessa wrote:
25 Dec 2022, 18:20
The lines on the front of the main wing were Drift Measurement Lines for a pilot. It was rare. These were usually written on the horizontal stabilizer for the backseat crew. The line spacing was probably 5 degrees, the same as the one written on the horizontal stabilizer.
Thank you for telling this, Fontessa. I've guessing about those lines for a long time.
Can you tell me, what are thety were used for? - To record drift of the plane for navigation purposes?

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”