Military book of a very short service medic soldier

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Senninbari

Military book of a very short service medic soldier

Post by Senninbari » 10 Jan 2023, 15:32

Hello everyone !

I'm a recent collector of Japanese ww2 items but more specifically senninbari/senninriki and Hinomaru Yosegaki, always has the interest on this theme since years but didn't had the time to get into it before. So i try to learn as much as i can and specialize myself to both this flags and belts.

I was pointed on this forum by the member "GeorgeP" on Wehrmacht awards and I guess he is here as "Shidan".
He told me to go here for getting a special information and in fact a request for me.

So, it's not a senninbari obviously but it was a good opportunity and I recently received this nice military book and got all the translation both from "GHP" and "GeorgeP" of the same forum, so I make a copy/past for you to get all the info.

The thing that i asked myself is why did he served only 3 months ? Especially for a combat medic and given the year (1944 would indicate that Japanese forces keep such soldier) it's weird to see this man being discharged after only 3 months, "GeorgeP" then told me that he was surely a 短期現役兵 (short term active duty soldier) but he recently found it that it only concerned primary school teachers specifically ... so ... i'm still wondering why ...
I taught that he could be from sickness but there is nothing more inside the book ...

So, i'm asking here, do you guys have any idea ?

District Jurisdiction:
名古屋師管
Nagoya Military District

Military Specialty:
衛生兵
Medic

衛生二等兵
Medical Private Second Class

Home of record:
静岡県小笠郡掛川町掛川百参拾六丿壱
Shizuoka Prefecture, Ogasa District, Kakegawa Town 136‐1
Click image for larger version

Name [and birth date]:
吉筋常彦
大正拾弐年参月参拾日
Yoshisuji Tsunehiko
Taisho 12 [1923], March 30
Surname is Yoshisuji
Showa 19 [1944] February 10

豊橋陸軍病院備充要員として召集に據り歩兵第百十八聯隊に應召〇
Summoned to the 118th Infantry Regiment as a member of the Toyohashi Army Hospital.

同日十一中隊に編入〇
On the same day, he was transferred to the 11th Company.

三月十一日豊橋陸軍病院に [crossed out〇]復*〇
March 11 Returned to Toyohashi Army Hospital [crossed out] *

五月九日應召解除〇
May 9 Called up for discharge
Attachments
image_5456014.jpg
image_5455582.jpg
image_5455581.jpg
image_5455580.jpg
image_5455579.jpg

Akira Takizawa

Re: Military book of a very short service medic soldier

Post by Akira Takizawa » 11 Jan 2023, 04:14

He was a soldier of 第一補充兵役(The first supplementary military service). 第一補充兵役 is the military service for those who passed the conscription inspection but were not enlisted. They were obliged to respond to 教育召集(educational summons) of 90 days service. They were used to fill vacancies on active service conscripts and to fill losses due to casualties and illnesses.

However, he was not called by 教育召集, but by 臨時召集(special summons). It called reservists to the army at war. The service term of 臨時召集 is not fixed. It continued until one was discharged, when the war ended or by other reason such as sickness, wounded, etc. The reason of his discharge is unknown. But, I suppose that 臨時召集 is a mistake and he was actually called by 教育召集, because his service term was 3 months.

>三月十一日豊橋陸軍病院に [crossed out〇]復*〇
> March 11 Returned to Toyohashi Army Hospital [crossed out] *

"復*" is 転属(transfer).

Taki

Senninbari

Re: Military book of a very short service medic soldier

Post by Senninbari » 11 Jan 2023, 13:55

Hello,

Thanks alot for all the info !
Really interesting I'll save them as reference for future research :thumbsup:

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”