IJN Aircraft losses 7 December 1941

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
fontessa

Re: IJN Aircraft losses 7 December 1941

Post by fontessa » 28 Dec 2023 10:22

Vicious wrote:
14 Dec 2023 20:24
Options:

A. Is AI-316 and AI-317 in the SECOND (45th) shotai, with AI-322, Unknown and AI-309 in the FIRST (44th) shotai?

OR

B. Is AI-322/LT Furukawa, "Unknown" and AI-316 in the First (44th) shotai with therefore AI-309 and AI-317 the Second (45th) shotai?

If we can prove and/or agree that AI-316 IS a shotaicho of the Second/45th shotai (and even has the applicable markings?) , THEN Option A above is correct.
Please see my previous post. I think AI-316 was a “Shotaicho”.

Vicious wrote:
Also, is the "Unknown" the "Master Bombardier"?
Yes.

Vicious wrote:
- Standardization for Japanese formation(s) used at Pearl Harbor (what 2nd shotai flies where off what wing and who the "Master Bombardier" was, which is the first shotai's number 2 aircraft...always off the left wing?
Surely, the revel bombing unit had a "Master Bombardier" system. But I am not sure whether the torpedo bombing unit had it or not. The below figure shows the IJN torpedo bombing targeting doctrine. As shown in the picture, the IJA torpedo bombing doctrine stated that the torpedo had to be released so that it would hit even if the target (3) continued straight ahead, (1) turned the rudder to the right, or (2) turned the rudder to the left. In Kate, the pilot used a torpedo sight to aim the torpedo strike, but I doubt anyone could have done something so difficult. However, since the targets at Pearl Harbor were stationary, it would have been easier to strike them with torpedoes.

Midway 雷撃ドクトリン.jpg
97式雷撃照準器.jpg

Vicious wrote:
- With such standardization, known tail codes and an accurate aircrew roster (I believe we do have it, including flight/shotai positions), we then have a key to unlock who flew in what plane by tail code (maybe) and in which position in the formation. Not just in this example, but in many if not all of them!
I think only 飛行機隊行動調書 Air Unit Action Report was applicable. Unfortunately, it did not include information on Tail Cpde.

Vicious wrote:
As a former US Naval Aviator, such standardization and/or adherence to a briefed mission is always a huge factor in who flies where and does what. Is it possible the doctrine or briefings, etc., for 07DEC41 (and later?) that the IJN aviators used is KNOWN?

Regards,

Vicious
I already answered the above question. Only 飛行機隊行動調書 applied to your question.

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vicious

Post by Vicious » 16 Jan 2024 18:58

Hello Fontessa (and all). Belated Happy New Year to everyone.

I have thought about this/our conversation here quite a bit.I'd like to ask a coupe of questions on the same subject (who was in what aircraft with what tail code and in what allegedly "standard formation"?) from a different angle...

Do we know and/or is there a consensus on specifically who had CAMERAS, a MOTION PICTURE CAMERA and/or a STILL CAMERA in their aircraft on 07DEC41 at Pearl Harbor?

In particular, do we know who had a motion picture camera in Akagi's Horizontal Bomber formations? There seems to be a consensus that LT Furukawa Izumi had one as the leader of the Akagi's 3rd Chutai.

But I sense from our earlier chat here that LT Iwasaki Goto in Akagi's 2nd Chutai may have had one instead or in addition to LT Furukawa.

I'd appreciate any sources with their details and also any speculation with reasons for it from those reading this can supply.

Thanks again,

Vicious

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 18 Jan 2024 10:00

Vicious wrote:
16 Jan 2024 18:58
Hello Fontessa (and all). Belated Happy New Year to everyone.

I have thought about this/our conversation here quite a bit.I'd like to ask a coupe of questions on the same subject (who was in what aircraft with what tail code and in what allegedly "standard formation"?) from a different angle...

Do we know and/or is there a consensus on specifically who had CAMERAS, a MOTION PICTURE CAMERA and/or a STILL CAMERA in their aircraft on 07DEC41 at Pearl Harbor?

In particular, do we know who had a motion picture camera in Akagi's Horizontal Bomber formations? There seems to be a consensus that LT Furukawa Izumi had one as the leader of the Akagi's 3rd Chutai.

But I sense from our earlier chat here that LT Iwasaki Goto in Akagi's 2nd Chutai may have had one instead or in addition to LT Furukawa.

I'd appreciate any sources with their details and also any speculation with reasons for it from those reading this can supply.

Thanks again,

Vicious
I was surprised to see all of Kate's numbers shown in the upper two photos below. This is because there are no IJN documents showing the aircraft numbers in the attack on Pearl Harbor. I asked the model maker what the basis for these Kate numbers was. Unfortunately, the evidence was not reliable. From the two things that I currently believe to be true - the Akagi Aircraft Unit Action Report which was an IJN document and Oshio's research on some of the numbers. They led us to the conclusion that AI-309 was the number 3 airplane of the 44th Chutai, as shown in the bottom picture. It also led to the conclusion that the AI-309 video (photos?) was taken from LT Furukawa's AI-322. Of course, there is the possibility that the AI-301 crew took the photo. However, I think they had more important duties than filming as the crew of the general attack commander Fuchita's airplane. It means that the number 3 airplane of the 40th Chutai was not the AI-309. You may not be convinced, but I am fully satisfied with this conclusion.

97艦攻 水平爆撃隊 赤城 0.jpg

97式艦攻 雷撃隊F 赤城 0.jpg

97艦攻 水平爆撃隊 赤城 02.jpg

97艦攻 水平爆撃隊形 赤城1改.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vicious

Post by Vicious » 18 Jan 2024 18:36

Hello Fontessa and thanks for your reply.

You said above,
They led us to the conclusion that AI-309 was the number 3 airplane of the 44th Chutai, as shown in the bottom picture. It also led to the conclusion that the AI-309 video (photos?) was taken from LT Furukawa's AI-322.
I agree with this analysis.

Now, if we agree LT Furukawa in AI-322 had the motion picture camera and took the film off his aircraft's left/port-side of AI-309 and the unknown B5N2 in between AI-309 and AI-322/LT Furukawa...

Isn't it likely the same LT Furukawa turned to his aircraft's (AI-322) other side, right or starboard side and shot the film of AI-316 and AI-317?

If you watch this film segment in its entirety, the camera pans further to the right/starboard side of AI-322 and we see more B5N2's further out, which are carrying torpedoes.

Thus can we assume via this conjecture and evidence that the 44th Shotai was made up of AI-322, Unknown, and AI-309...

While the attached on their right/starboard wing was the 45th shotai of AI-316 and AI-317?

IF LT Furukawa was the ONLY motion picture camera with all of Akagi's High-Level bombers, then this is the only possible assignments of both these tail codes AND applicable crew members.

What do you think?

Vicious

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 18 Jan 2024 21:58

Vicious wrote:
18 Jan 2024 18:36
Hello Fontessa and thanks for your reply.

You said above,
They led us to the conclusion that AI-309 was the number 3 airplane of the 44th Chutai, as shown in the bottom picture. It also led to the conclusion that the AI-309 video (photos?) was taken from LT Furukawa's AI-322.
I agree with this analysis.

Now, if we agree LT Furukawa in AI-322 had the motion picture camera and took the film off his aircraft's left/port-side of AI-309 and the unknown B5N2 in between AI-309 and AI-322/LT Furukawa...

Isn't it likely the same LT Furukawa turned to his aircraft's (AI-322) other side, right or starboard side and shot the film of AI-316 and AI-317?

Thus can we assume via this conjecture and evidence that the 44th Shotai was made up of AI-322, Unknown, and AI-309...

While the attached on their right/starboard wing was the 45th shotai of AI-316 and AI-317?

IF LT Furukawa was the ONLY motion picture camera with all of Akagi's High-Level bombers, then this is the only possible assignments of both these tail codes AND applicable crew members.

What do you think?

Vicious
Do you remember my previous post? If actual moving formation was like the bottom picture, what you are saying is possible. (Usually, 2nd Chutai is on the left, 3rd Chutai on the right) But AI-316 and AI-317 seem to be too "close". Just like taken from LT Iwasaki's plane. . . I don't have any more information than I currently have, so I can only say as above.

赤城 編隊.jpg

97艦攻 水平爆撃隊形 赤城1改2.jpg

Vicious wrote:
18 Jan 2024 18:36
If you watch this film segment in its entirety, the camera pans further to the right/starboard side of AI-322 and we see more B5N2's further out, which are carrying torpedoes.
Sure? I couldn't notice it. It is interesting. Can you show the captured image?
The below picture shows the 1at wave moving formation. Torpedo Bombinf Kate were seen in the right/starboard side of Revel Bombing Kate. Interesting?

赤城 第1波進撃編隊.jpg

fontessa

Vicious

Post by Vicious » 18 Jan 2024 22:28

Hi Fontessa,

I think your positioning of Akagi's 2nd and 3rd level bomber chutai's should be reversed; the 2nd (LT Iwasaki) on Fuchida's left/port wing and the 3rd (LT Furukawa) on Fuchida's right/starboard wing.

Watch this newsreel at the time 1:45 mark and watch it play through as the camera pans at AI-316/AI-317 and beyond...
(I suspect LT Furukawa shot AI-309 previously, stopped filming, then started filming again on the side where AI-316/317 are as seen here below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY-Q_R4d02Q

Also, check your sources on who was the crew in AI-316 & 317. I believe many other sources agree it is Tazikawa & Okada respectively of the 45th shotai as seen in this one source here:

https://japanese-aviation.forumotion.co ... el-bombers

Vicious

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 19 Jan 2024 00:18

Vicious wrote:
18 Jan 2024 22:28
Hi Fontessa,

I think your positioning of Akagi's 2nd and 3rd level bomber chutai's should be reversed; the 2nd (LT Iwasaki) on Fuchida's left/port wing and the 3rd (LT Furukawa) on Fuchida's right/starboard wing.

Watch this newsreel at the time 1:45 mark and watch it play through as the camera pans at AI-316/AI-317 and beyond...
(I suspect LT Furukawa shot AI-309 previously, stopped filming, then started filming again on the side where AI-316/317 are as seen here below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY-Q_R4d02Q

Also, check your sources on who was the crew in AI-316 & 317. I believe many other sources agree it is Tazikawa & Okada respectively of the 45th shotai as seen in this one source here:

https://japanese-aviation.forumotion.co ... el-bombers

Vicious
My source is Oshio's research result. But he also makes mistakes, or it may be a typo. Everything you say makes sense. I agree with you.

97艦攻 赤城 押尾.jpg
97艦攻 水平爆撃隊 赤城 03.jpg

The movie you showed is interesting. Since there is a Shotai consisting of 3 Kate, they are either Akagi or Kaga's torpedo bombing Kate, and their higher altitude matches the 200-meter altitude difference specified in the 1st wave moving formation that I showed. (One lump of Soryu and Hiryu torpedo bombing Kate consisted of 4 Kate.)

97式艦攻 雷撃隊形 D 飛龍 2.jpg

fontessa

Vicious

Post by Vicious » 19 Jan 2024 01:35

Fontessa,

I hope I showed the link here to you before. If not here it is again:

https://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.ph ... #msg109087

I couldn't find a link to the movie film that shows AI-309 in flight, but know I've seen it many times hoping the vertical stabilizer would come into view and clearly show the tail code (every time I look, I never see it!)

This link here shows the "other side" of LT Furukawa's chutai formation and discusses it in good detail. (While no tail codes are in sight, you can see a "9" on the bottom wing hence "AI-309" as its fuselage stripe is plain to see, a single red stripe outlined in white for Akagi. This image has been flipped in many other views of it, apparently to make it "look like" these aircraft are going the same was as the un-flipped images of AI-316/317, but this is speculation. (A lot of such "flipping" went on with WWII images from all nations. The USS Arizona explosion is another one. Who knows why?).

In short, I believe LT Furukawa had the ONLY movie camera with Akagi's High-Level Bombers. (Pending any new information that is!).

James Lansdale and David Aiken (and Sidnei's website you saw earlier, who got his info from Aiken) all make what your last post has on it plausible over anything else, again pending any new information.

So, I agree with your latest assignments above to specific crews and their tail-codes. The 3rd chutai is only missing one code for apparently pilot AM1 Suzuki's aircraft. (Was his Observer/Bombardier PO1 Kato THE "Master Bombardier" for this chutai? More below).

This also strengthens what I believe you said earlier, in that the lead shotai was with its 3 aircraft in LEFT ECHELON off the leader, while the attached 2-plane shotai was in RIGHT ECHELON off that same leader.

Perhaps we can also stretch the "Master Bombardier" was always the lead shotai's Number 2 aircraft in LEFT ECHELON?

These assumptions, assuming they are standardized throughout the Japanese formations on 07DEC41, is a near a key to help unravel which crews were in what tail codes and where the "Master Bombardier's" aircraft was before taking the lead on the bombing run.

Still, there remains many blanks to fill. There is no information on some and conflicting information on others, some of that is repeated over and over by various sources (Hey, if it was published why it MUST be correct, right?)

It is enjoyable to put these puzzles together as best we can.

Regards,

Vicious

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 19 Jan 2024 16:45

Vicious wrote:
19 Jan 2024 01:35
Fontessa,

I hope I showed the link here to you before. If not here it is again:

https://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.ph ... #msg109087

I couldn't find a link to the movie film that shows AI-309 in flight, but know I've seen it many times hoping the vertical stabilizer would come into view and clearly show the tail code (every time I look, I never see it!)

This link here shows the "other side" of LT Furukawa's chutai formation and discusses it in good detail. (While no tail codes are in sight, you can see a "9" on the bottom wing hence "AI-309" as its fuselage stripe is plain to see, a single red stripe outlined in white for Akagi. This image has been flipped in many other views of it, apparently to make it "look like" these aircraft are going the same was as the un-flipped images of AI-316/317, but this is speculation. (A lot of such "flipping" went on with WWII images from all nations. The USS Arizona explosion is another one. Who knows why?).

In short, I believe LT Furukawa had the ONLY movie camera with Akagi's High-Level Bombers. (Pending any new information that is!).

James Lansdale and David Aiken (and Sidnei's website you saw earlier, who got his info from Aiken) all make what your last post has on it plausible over anything else, again pending any new information.

So, I agree with your latest assignments above to specific crews and their tail-codes. The 3rd chutai is only missing one code for apparently pilot AM1 Suzuki's aircraft. (Was his Observer/Bombardier PO1 Kato THE "Master Bombardier" for this chutai? More below).

This also strengthens what I believe you said earlier, in that the lead shotai was with its 3 aircraft in LEFT ECHELON off the leader, while the attached 2-plane shotai was in RIGHT ECHELON off that same leader.

Perhaps we can also stretch the "Master Bombardier" was always the lead shotai's Number 2 aircraft in LEFT ECHELON?

These assumptions, assuming they are standardized throughout the Japanese formations on 07DEC41, is a near a key to help unravel which crews were in what tail codes and where the "Master Bombardier's" aircraft was before taking the lead on the bombing run.

Still, there remains many blanks to fill. There is no information on some and conflicting information on others, some of that is repeated over and over by various sources (Hey, if it was published why it MUST be correct, right?)

It is enjoyable to put these puzzles together as best we can.

Regards,

Vicious
Vicious wrote:
In short, I believe LT Furukawa had the ONLY movie camera with Akagi's High-Level Bombers.
Agreed. I think the third seat crew took the pictures.

Vicious wrote:
Was his Observer/Bombardier PO1 Kato THE "Master Bombardier" for this chutai?
Yes.

Vicious wrote:

Yes. And I also said that it was a special formation only for the battleship bombing in the Pearl Harbor attack. This formation was based on the consideration of how to allocate limited Kate of Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, and Hiryu between revel bombing and torpedo bombing. The IJNAF doctrine, as stated previously, is shown below. Kate of Shokaku and Zuikaku bombed airfields with the below formation in the Pearl Harbor attack, and Betty and Nell sunk HMS Prince of Wales and Repulse with this formation.

赤城 水平爆撃隊形.jpg

Vicious wrote:
Hmm, I'm skeptical about this.

fontessa

Vicious

Post by Vicious » 19 Jan 2024 18:46

Hi Fontessa,

Yes, I suppose the rear seater/Gunner could be the photographer. The only "food for thought" on that is the middle seater/Observer/Bombardier was often more senior and perhaps considered more responsible with an "expensive camera". Also consider unless the Bombardier is actually bombing, the Gunner is either protecting their rear OR may be operating the radio, including merely listening to it while the observer has little to do.

But again, no way to tell who actually held the camera in an aircraft usually identified by its senior member.

Agreed too, don't know if this is a standardized formation for all high level bombers on 07DEC41. There may be a few others who specifically say who was where in the formation, but more data is needed on this.

Perhaps we can revisit this if and when new info comes to mind.

Thanks for your participation Fontessa!

Vicious

glenn239

Post by glenn239 » 30 Jan 2024 19:29

fontessa wrote:
25 Sep 2023 23:03
There are only two certain facts:
(1) Iizuka writes in his reminiscences that he was on board the Akagi at Midway.
(2) Iizuka is not listed in Akagi's 飛行機隊行動調書 at Midway.
Earlier I'd asked what the arrangement might have been for the Akagi's escorts for the 1030 at Midway strike, speculating on which three pilots it might have been scheduled to fly based on Akagi's fighter roster and record as listed in Shattered Sword. I'd been puzzled by the response, but now I think I might better understand.

The fighter pilot most likely to lead the Akagi's 1030 counterstrike was probably LCDR Shigeru Itaya. But, when I check pg 506 of Shattered Sword, a question immediately arises - why is Itaya not in the Akagi fighter roster, nor listed in any of the CAP missions flown by Akagi that day? In checking 599, Itaya appears nowhere in the book.

Was Itaya at Midway?

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 31 Jan 2024 00:59

glenn239 wrote:
30 Jan 2024 19:29
fontessa wrote:
25 Sep 2023 23:03
There are only two certain facts:
(1) Iizuka writes in his reminiscences that he was on board the Akagi at Midway.
(2) Iizuka is not listed in Akagi's 飛行機隊行動調書 at Midway.
Earlier I'd asked what the arrangement might have been for the Akagi's escorts for the 1030 at Midway strike, speculating on which three pilots it might have been scheduled to fly based on Akagi's fighter roster and record as listed in Shattered Sword. I'd been puzzled by the response, but now I think I might better understand.

The fighter pilot most likely to lead the Akagi's 1030 counterstrike was probably LCDR Shigeru Itaya. But, when I check pg 506 of Shattered Sword, a question immediately arises - why is Itaya not in the Akagi fighter roster, nor listed in any of the CAP missions flown by Akagi that day? In checking 599, Itaya appears nowhere in the book.

Was Itaya at Midway?
Izuka himself said Akagi Val Unit had 18 pairs of crew and no reserve. Akagi's 飛行機隊行動調書 listed 18 pairs and Izuka was not included there. So I concluded that Iizuka was not on board Akagi during the Midway Operation. You seem to think 飛行機隊行動調書 was an Akagi's crew member roster. No, It was a list of the crew members who participated in the attack or CAP. Even if Itaya's name wasn't mentioned there, it doesn't mean he wasn't on board Akagi.

Akagi Zero Unit consisted of 2 companies each had 9 Zeros. One company commanded by LT Shirane 白根 escorted the 1st attack. I think LCDR Itaya was scheduled to escort the 2nd attack and I also think he commanded all escort Zeros of Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, and Hiryu in the original Midway Operation plan.

Additional Imfo
Akagi Hikotaicho 飛行隊長 (Zero Unit Commander) LCDR Itaya Shigeru: 1 April 1941 - 30 June 1942

fontessa

glenn239

Post by glenn239 » 31 Jan 2024 18:30

fontessa wrote:
31 Jan 2024 00:59
Akagi Zero Unit consisted of 2 companies each had 9 Zeros. One company commanded by LT Shirane 白根 escorted the 1st attack. I think LCDR Itaya was scheduled to escort the 2nd attack and I also think he commanded all escort Zeros of Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, and Hiryu in the original Midway Operation plan.

Additional Imfo
Akagi Hikotaicho 飛行隊長 (Zero Unit Commander) LCDR Itaya Shigeru: 1 April 1941 - 30 June 1942

fontessa
Thanks, but do you have any idea why Itaya does not appear in the Akagi fighter roster in Shattered Sword?

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 01 Feb 2024 10:12

glenn239 wrote:
31 Jan 2024 18:30
Thanks, but do you have any idea why Itaya does not appear in the Akagi fighter roster in Shattered Sword?
Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to read Shattered Sword. Does pg 506 have a list of the Akagi fighter squadron? If so, I want to know that.

fontessa

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 01 Feb 2024 11:40

fontessa wrote:
01 Feb 2024 10:12
glenn239 wrote:
31 Jan 2024 18:30
Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to read Shattered Sword. Does pg 506 have a list of the Akagi fighter squadron? If so, I want to know that.

fontessa
Yes, pg 506 have a list of the Akagi fighter squadron.

You can see it below:
Akagi Fighter Pilot Roster (18)
Rank - Name - Class - Status after the battle
PO1c Tanaka Katsumi kō1 OK
PO2c Ōhara Hiroshi sōren50 OK
Sea1c Sano Shinpei sōren49 KIA
WO Ono Zenji otsu2 OK
PO1c Taniguchi Masao sōren51 OK
PO3c Takasuga Mitsuyoshi sōren51 OK
Lt. Ibusuki Masanobu sōren32 OK
PO1c Iwashiro Yoshio kō2 OK
PO3c Hanyu Toichirō sōren51 KIA