Japanese Sniper Tactics - US & British Reports

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Richard Stone

Japanese Sniper Tactics - US & British Reports

Post by Richard Stone » 25 May 2023, 11:29

The two attached articles discuss the tactics and equipment used by Japanese snipers during the Pacific and Burma campaigns and some of the tactics the Allies used to overcome them.

The first article was written in 1943 for 'Fortune Magazine’ by a US journalist who accompanied the US forces during first of the Allied island campaigns. This copy of it was printed in the March 1944 edition of the USA professional military reference magazine ‘Military Review’.

The second article is a March 1945 British Army report that was printed in the British Army’ Middle East Command's publication 'Aim’. This copy of it was printed in the October 1945 edition of the USA professional military reference magazine ‘Military Review’.

I posted both articles in the site section ‘WW2 in the Pacific & Asia’. I’ve reposted them here to aid researchers of the Japanese armed forces.

Combat Notes - Mil Review J March 1944 - J Sniper-1A.png
Combat Notes - Mil Review J March 1944 - J Sniper-1B.png
Combat Notes - Mil Review J March 1945 - J Sniper-2A.png
Combat Notes - Mil Review J March 1945 - J Sniper-2B.png

ShindenKai

Re: Japanese Sniper Tactics - US & British Reports

Post by ShindenKai » 28 Jul 2023, 20:56

Fascinating stuff, I hadn't realized how extensively the Japanese snipers used the trees.

Not surprised they chose to use less complicated/intricate camo "in-the-field" due it hampering mobility, I'd always wondered about that.

Anyone know if there was a top Japanese sniper?

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”